The Student Room Group

Edexcel M3 Newton's Law of Gravitation

Assume that the Earth is a sphere of radius R and g is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface.

Prove that the magnitude of the gravitational force on a particle of mass m when it is a distance x from the centre of the Earth (x >= R) is mgR^2/x^2.

Let M be the mass of the Earth.

Newton tells us that

F = GmM/(R+x)^2

At the surface of the Earth (x = 0), we have

F = GmM/R^2 = mg

So GM/R^2 = g

What now?
I'm not sure but...

The force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning that F = k/x^2

At the surface k/R^2 = mg meaning that k=mgR^2

Therefore F = mgR^2/x^2
Reply 2
Why F = k/x^2? The distance between them would be x + R, surely?

*Edit*

sdfosdhsdlfishdfsdoafgdfgafhg45yhwhgffgnfgjnfgjkkk367i3DGF

x = distance from the centre of the Earth. I thought it meant from the surface.

Thanks.
Swayum
Why F = k/x^2? The distance between them would be x + R, surely?

Yeh sorry, I was defining x as the distance from the centre of the Earth to that point :smile:
You know that when x=R, a=g, so use those boundary conditions.
Makes sense :smile:
Swayum, why did you use the ULoG? For some reason, I haven't ever seen a question in the past papers requiring that, its always been separating the variables and integrating. Unless I have missed something big?!
The Sherminator
Swayum, why did you use the ULoG? For some reason, I haven't ever seen a question in the past papers requiring that, its always been separating the variables and integrating. Unless I have missed something big?!

I only ever use that in Physics...it doesn't really help M3 :s:
sugar_cane
I only ever use that in Physics...it doesn't really help M3 :s:

Okay :biggrin:

btw... did you do the June 05 paper? It was such a *****. I only managed to do about half of it :eek: but the grade boundaries were really low, an A was at 55/75 or something.

*goes to pray he gets an easy paper*
Reply 8
The Sherminator

Paper attached. It's question 3. I'm sure it's come up in another paper as well.
Why do you need ULoG in that? You can solve it without that law right?

edit: I didn't need the law to solve the question :s-smilie:
The Sherminator
Okay :biggrin:

btw... did you do the June 05 paper? It was such a *****. I only managed to do about half of it :eek: but the grade boundaries were really low, an A was at 55/75 or something.

*goes to pray he gets an easy paper*

I would prefer a "show that" and "prove that" paper, it's so much easier!
sugar_cane
I would prefer a "show that" and "prove that" paper, it's so much easier!

You read my mind :eek:
Ever thought of becoming a palm reader? :p:
The Sherminator
You read my mind :eek:
Ever thought of becoming a palm reader? :p:

Pfft, I don't need your hand...I just know these things :p:
One question if you guys are there, please :smile:

Jan 07, question 2. I have gotten half way there, and then can't get anywhere. And the MS makes no sense. Please :smile:

edit: nevermind, get it :biggrin:
Swayum
Assume that the Earth is a sphere of radius R and g is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface.

Prove that the magnitude of the gravitational force on a particle of mass m when it is a distance x from the centre of the Earth (x >= R) is mgR^2/x^2.

Let M be the mass of the Earth.

Newton tells us that

F = GmM/(R+x)^2

At the surface of the Earth (x = 0), we have

F = GmM/R^2 = mg

So GM/R^2 = g

What now?

Instead of arranging that last equation to find g, arrange it to find G. Then just sub it back into the original equation to get the required result.
meatball893
Instead of arranging that last equation to find g, arrange it to find G. Then just sub it back into the original equation to get the required result.

quite an old thread tbh.

Latest