The Student Room Group

"Are these GCSEs good enough for x" - the guide

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BarnabyK
Officially at this time, they regard them as the same.

I use "officially", as universities were responsible for driving the GCSE grading reform and the implementation of the new "grade 9", and one can never be sure if there are actual discriminators within applications. There is current media talk of a GCSE overhaul (what's new though?) so this is perhaps where the suggestion comes from.

What is more likely is that universities will start to push their own entrance tests if they cannot be satisfied of the quality of the students they are receiving (which Oxbridge does anyways).

TLDR: Yes, and don't worry.

Thanks x
Original post by Qxi.xli
Thanks x

You're welcome!

Original post by lean1bean
i’m getting more and more worried abt my english grades - i got 2 7s for english lit & lang though i was predicted 8s and was a few marks off 9 in my mock and assessments for literature. since english is a core subject won’t it disadvantage me? also is literature just count as an english grade (e.g if i appealed for lit and got an 8, does that mean the uni will consider my english grade to be an 8?)
my overall grades were 999998877

I think you'd have to consult their admissions department on how they weigh core subjects. Regardless, a grade 7 is totally fine
Reply 302
Original post by Qxi.xli
Why don't they regard 8s and 9s equally anymore?

Back when they first said this there hadn't yet been a complete admissions cycle of applicants who had taken GCSEs in 2018. So they were just converting it back to the letter grades. Maybe now they're more familiar with it, and that there are students with number grades who have completed a year of university, they do notice certain trends and update their process.
All that's for certain is they've removed that table on the web page where they compared the two systems.
(edited 2 years ago)
i want to do geo instead of maths but Im unsure if i should it for a levels
Original post by n3vermind.
i want to do geo instead of maths but Im unsure if i should it for a levels
Would you give a bit more detail please as I am unsure as to your question? :redface:
Original post by 04MR17
Would you give a bit more detail please as I am unsure as to your question? :redface:

i want to do medicine in uni hopefully ucl and i wanted what was the best subject to do i want to do geography but maths may help me get a higher chance to be accepted
Original post by n3vermind.
i want to do medicine in uni hopefully ucl and i wanted what was the best subject to do i want to do geography but maths may help me get a higher chance to be accepted
Quite old now, but this should help:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/medicine/medical-school-a-level-requirement
"A*s, 8s and 9s are regarded as equal (for now). Someone with 10 8s is not disadvantaged against someone with 10 9s. As of 2021 this appears no longer to be the case."

Where does it say that this is no longer the case?
Original post by lesgo21
"A*s, 8s and 9s are regarded as equal (for now). Someone with 10 8s is not disadvantaged against someone with 10 9s. As of 2021 this appears no longer to be the case."

It's not that it says that it is no longer the case, it's that it no longer says that 8s and 9s are considered to be equivalent.
Reply 310
Original post by lesgo21

They used to explicitly say on the website that they weren't differentiating between 8s and 9s, that they'd just be converting them in to the old system. They don't say so anymore
Original post by Sinnoh
They used to explicitly say on the website that they weren't differentiating between 8s and 9s, that they'd just be converting them in to the old system. They don't say so anymore

oh ok, that puts more pressure to get those 9s!
Original post by lesgo21
oh ok, that puts more pressure to get those 9s!

9's are ..."the la creme de la creme..." of GCSE education!!! :wink:
Original post by skylark2
It's not that it says that it is no longer the case, it's that it no longer says that 8s and 9s are considered to be equivalent.

Seems unsurprising considering the inflation in GCSE grades
Original post by Abzdot
Seems unsurprising considering the inflation in GCSE grades

To me, 9s being better than 8s should've been done for a long time.
Original post by thegeek888
9's are ..."the la creme de la creme..." of GCSE education!!! :wink:

It's the top grade, of course.
And it boosts standards enough that we can somewhat keep up with the high-performing nations.
Here we go for another year :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Russel group easy yes. Cambridge: depends on everything else. Oxford: hopefully but read the OP in full.

What does it depend on for Cambridge?
Reply 317
Original post by _lolz
What does it depend on for Cambridge?

LNAT, submitted written work and interview
Original post by Sinnoh
LNAT, submitted written work and interview

Is that not the same for russell group unis?
Original post by _lolz
Is that not the same for russell group unis?

Most Russell Group unis wouldn't interview you (unless you're doing Medicine/Dentistry et al)

Quick Reply

Latest