The Student Room Group

How do you revise for french, food, RE and history to get a definite grade 9

For RE I'm thinking of making mind maps for every topic, or is that too much?

I have no idea if I should make notes for food or how to revise for it as well as French.

I saw that a girl used the Pearson revision guides on YT and made short notes from it into separate a5 books for each era/unit to condense info. Should I do that for history?

Any grade 9 revision strategies for each?
ty :smile:

Scroll to see replies

WE'RE DOING THE SAME SUBJECTSSSS!!!
ok, I got a grade NINE in RE so I'm gonna give u some tips that I took!!
I may have done some last minute revision but I REALLY DONT advised that (it can get hectic, unless you retain revision quickly and don't mind being under stress for about 2 weeks before the exam or even 4 DAYS (days of my mock)), instead you should read the topics (if you have a revision book) and answer past papers on them. IT HELPED ME SOOO MUCH!!! do as MANY past papers as you can: the more u do the much easier and confident the questions in the exam will be.
Doing mind maps also do help, nut I wouldn't do that as my only revision source
I recommend the blurt method (where u write down as much as u remember and then look back to the answers. any wrong, you write it in a diff colour, then test yourself again) and flashcards.
If you don't have a revision book go onto YouTube to BEN WARDLE, omds he was a life saviour. Click on that first of all, before u start your revision to get an overview of the topic. Just search up the topic and it should be there. As always, for anything focus on the ones that you struggle at; don't waste your time on the easy ones cuz your not going to get anywhere I promise you. And I BEG, don't revise later than late! I literally cried when I was revising because I did it so rushed and not properly. ALSO, for quotes, search them up. The examiners like nice new quotes that back up answers especially in part 5s and part 4s.

For French, I'm still in year 11, so I haven't done any of the exams BUT, my French teacher told me to do flashcards for the speaking exams, where you write the question at the front and then the answer at the back (she said it helped massively for her past year 11 students). then practice some listening, reading and translation works, idk where to find them but when I do, I'll get right back to youu!!!!

And lastly for food (I don't do history, sorry), PRACTICE PAST PAPERS!!!! and also do the blurt method and your mind map idea for this topic. IT WILL HELP SO MUCH FR. Food and nutrition content is soo much more than what I expected it to be, so i advise covering a topic between 3-4 days (Depending how much time you have between now and the exam), split it into chunks and take breaks obvi, when revising this and any subject in general to retain as much key and good information as possible.

But at the end of the day, pick your best revision tool what's best for youu!!!
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by emilyboakye
WE'RE DOING THE SAME SUBJECTSSSS!!!
ok, I got a grade NINE in RE so I'm gonna give u some tips that I took!!
I may have done some last minute revision but I REALLY DONT advised that (it can get hectic, unless you retain revision quickly and don't mind being under stress for about 2 weeks before the exam or even 4 DAYS (days of my mock)), instead you should read the topics (if you have a revision book) and answer past papers on them. IT HELPED ME SOOO MUCH!!! do as MANY past papers as you can: the more u do the much easier and confident the questions in the exam will be.
Doing mind maps also do help, nut I wouldn't do that as my only revision source
I recommend the blurt method (where u write down as much as u remember and then look back to the answers. any wrong, you write it in a diff colour, then test yourself again) and flashcards.
If you don't have a revision book go onto YouTube to BEN WARDLE, omds he was a life saviour. Click on that first of all, before u start your revision to get an overview of the topic. Just search up the topic and it should be there. As always, for anything focus on the ones that you struggle at; don't waste your time on the easy ones cuz your not going to get anywhere I promise you. And I BEG, don't revise later than late! I literally cried when I was revising because I did it so rushed and not properly. ALSO, for quotes, search them up. The examiners like nice new quotes that back up answers especially in part 5s and part 4s.

For French, I'm still in year 11, so I haven't done any of the exams BUT, my French teacher told me to do flashcards for the speaking exams, where you write the question at the front and then the answer at the back (she said it helped massively for her past year 11 students). then practice some listening, reading and translation works, idk where to find them but when I do, I'll get right back to youu!!!!

And lastly for food (I don't do history, sorry), PRACTICE PAST PAPERS!!!! and also do the blurt method and your mind map idea for this topic. IT WILL HELP SO MUCH FR. Food and nutrition content is soo much more than what I expected it to be, so i advise covering a topic between 3-4 days (Depending how much time you have between now and the exam), split it into chunks and take breaks obvi, when revising this and any subject in general to retain as much key and good information as possible.

But at the end of the day, pick your best revision tool what's best for youu!!!

TYSMM!
what revision guide did u use for RE? also should i blurt straight from the revision guide, does it have enough info covered?
I hate food why is there so much info in the textbook, my teacher said its one of the hardest subjects but in google it said it was the easiest lol but tyy should i make the mind maps for food straight from the textbook or a rev guide?
NO WORRIESSSS
errm, i got the one from my teacher, idk what they are called, i'll look for it for youuu and yes blurt from the rev guide, and for food do it from the textbook too so you can mark ur workkkkk
Reply 4
Original post by M1.xo30

I have no idea if I should make notes for food or how to revise for it as well as French.

I saw that a girl used the Pearson revision guides on YT and made short notes from it into separate a5 books for each era/unit to condense info. Should I do that for history?

I got a 9 in GCSE RE and History.
I have a revision technique that helped me with just all subjects in general. What I would do at GCSE was that I would memorise a paragraph at a time in textbooks and just keep wiring the paragraph down until I got it and understood it completely. After a page I would summarise everything into mind maps or information sheets. There were also other things that I did in terms of revision techniques. I made use of online resources such as BBC bitesize especially for RE and History as BBC bitesize has many resources for those subjects such as videos to understand concepts more and also quizzes to test your knowledge. I also used quizlet online flash cards, which are really useful for understanding key words and terms and I used past papers so that I could practice and apply the knowledge that I learnt into the exam questions, which helped. This was just the revision technique that worked for me, it helped me get 9999766666655 at GCSE, which I was pleased with. Different revision techniques work for different people. But I hope this helped!
Reply 5
Original post by Alonepast
I got a 9 in GCSE RE and History.
I have a revision technique that helped me with just all subjects in general. What I would do at GCSE was that I would memorise a paragraph at a time in textbooks and just keep wiring the paragraph down until I got it and understood it completely. After a page I would summarise everything into mind maps or information sheets. There were also other things that I did in terms of revision techniques. I made use of online resources such as BBC bitesize especially for RE and History as BBC bitesize has many resources for those subjects such as videos to understand concepts more and also quizzes to test your knowledge. I also used quizlet online flash cards, which are really useful for understanding key words and terms and I used past papers so that I could practice and apply the knowledge that I learnt into the exam questions, which helped. This was just the revision technique that worked for me, it helped me get 9999766666655 at GCSE, which I was pleased with. Different revision techniques work for different people. But I hope this helped!

Wouldn't memorising every paragraph in a textbook be a bit too much tho, just to understand, wouldn't that take a long time?
Should i watch a video or smth instead and make notes in the forms of mind maps and info sheets
Reply 6
is it ok if i use a revision guide instead of the textbooks for history
(Alonepast)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 7
NO WORRIESSSS
errm, i got the one from my teacher, idk what they are called, i'll look for it for youuu and yes blurt from the rev guide, and for food do it from the textbook too so you can mark ur workkkkk

Okk!
wdym by marking your work
like, after writing all the stuff you can remember, go back to the textbook to see if it was right
I used to revise by doing past papers and topic quizzes. I then focused on revising the areas which I didn’t get correct on the tests. If you revise absolutely everything you are likely to become overwhelmed.
Reply 10
I recommend going through your textbook for Religious Studies (if you don't have one invest in one as they're extremely helpful) and making notes on all of the key information and make flashcards on quotes and revise them, maybe read over the notes and flashcards daily. Once you've revised all the content and made all the notes go through as many exam past papers as you can. Be strict with yourself on self marking and TIME. Make sure you are able to have enough time to do the 12 maker, realistically you should be spending 30 minutes on each section.

For Food Tech, to guarantee a grade 9 work very hard on your coursework I promise you. No matter how well you do in exam if your coursework isn't done properly your grade will drop significantly. Use the template the teacher gives you for the coursework, ask your teacher to help you on parts you don't know what to write, make your document look very professional such as make it look presentable, look at past NEA1 examples on the internet and use that as a template for your coursework. For exam part I suggest buying a CGP textbook and using that as your revision source so for example going through all the pages making sure you understand EVERYTHING and the parts you don't understand make flashcards on. I used to go through the CGP revision guide and highlight key information and make post it notes on some pages where I wanted to add some things from lessons.

I hope this helps, good luck.
Original post by M1.xo30
is it ok if i use a revision guide instead of the textbooks for history
(Alonepast)

Yes, that should work as well
Reply 12
Original post by Powersymphonia
I used to revise by doing past papers and topic quizzes. I then focused on revising the areas which I didn’t get correct on the tests. If you revise absolutely everything you are likely to become overwhelmed.

how would you know the info in the first place to do those past papers?
Reply 13
like, after writing all the stuff you can remember, go back to the textbook to see if it was right

when u said do your mind map idea did you mean do blurting in a mind map format
Reply 14
Original post by gsimrun
I recommend going through your textbook for Religious Studies (if you don't have one invest in one as they're extremely helpful) and making notes on all of the key information and make flashcards on quotes and revise them, maybe read over the notes and flashcards daily. Once you've revised all the content and made all the notes go through as many exam past papers as you can. Be strict with yourself on self marking and TIME. Make sure you are able to have enough time to do the 12 maker, realistically you should be spending 30 minutes on each section.

For Food Tech, to guarantee a grade 9 work very hard on your coursework I promise you. No matter how well you do in exam if your coursework isn't done properly your grade will drop significantly. Use the template the teacher gives you for the coursework, ask your teacher to help you on parts you don't know what to write, make your document look very professional such as make it look presentable, look at past NEA1 examples on the internet and use that as a template for your coursework. For exam part I suggest buying a CGP textbook and using that as your revision source so for example going through all the pages making sure you understand EVERYTHING and the parts you don't understand make flashcards on. I used to go through the CGP revision guide and highlight key information and make post it notes on some pages where I wanted to add some things from lessons.

it does tyy
By coursework, do you mean that research thingy u do for ur gcse exam?
Reply 15
Original post by gsimrun

for re can i blurt from a rev guide instead of a textbook and write down the info i missed in red? does that count as making notes
do u think i could still get a grade 9 by doing that
and the same for food but from the textbook not rev guide
(edited 6 months ago)

Yeah
Reply 17
Original post by M1.xo30
for re can i blurt from a rev guide instead of a textbook and write down the info i missed in red? does that count as making notes
do u think i could still get a grade 9 by doing that
and the same for food but from the textbook not rev guide

Blurting is a very good technique to test yourself to be honest so that would be good for securing that grade 9. For making notes I mean writing things down from a textbook like key words, quotes or definitions. I think the revision guide are pretty useful however I do suggest not using the CGP for RE because they are too brief and summarised and they don't cover the whole course but for Food the CGP is easier to understand in my opinion so I do recommend the CGP for Food Tech.
Reply 18
Original post by gsimrun
Blurting is a very good technique to test yourself to be honest so that would be good for securing that grade 9. For making notes I mean writing things down from a textbook like key words, quotes or definitions. I think the revision guide are pretty useful however I do suggest not using the CGP for RE because they are too brief and summarised and they don't cover the whole course but for Food the CGP is easier to understand in my opinion so I do recommend the CGP for Food Tech.

oh ok tyy
Reply 19
Original post by M1.xo30

I've always found that creating some fairly extensive notes and then summarizing them into more and more compact notes helps for history. This tends to get the dates and stuff in your head while still allowing you to work with a decent amount of info.

Quick Reply

Latest