The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

University of Kent vs Oxford brookes

I got offers from both but don’t know which one is better in terms of night life and the general city life overall
Reply 1
you are basing what uni you are going to go to on the nightlife ??? :confused::nope:

Is the uniersity of kent actually in a city ???

Spoiler

Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering studying at Kent :smile: Personally, I think that life at Kent has the best of both worlds as the campus is really beautiful and peaceful with ponds, woods, fields and loads of wildlife but also there is so much to do on campus! There's a cinema, gym, theatre, loads of cafes, bars and a nightclub which is great in your first year when you live on campus because everything you could need is right on your doorstep. Canterbury is a really beautiful town and has loads of shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. Also, because there's two other universities in Canterbury it still has a really nice student vibe to it and lots of student nights out, nightclubs and lots of bars. Canterbury is a place that feels homely when you need it to be but also fun when you're looking for something to do with your friends :biggrin: I've had a great time at Kent and honestly really recommend it!
Good luck with your university decisions and if you have any other questions about life at Kent then please feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by Pranjal01
I got offers from both but don’t know which one is better in terms of night life and the general city life overall
Reply 3
Thanks for this info but I heard Kent generally doesn’t have a good student life and it is boring to study there compared to Oxford as Canterbury is a small city
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
So pleased to hear you're considering studying at Kent :smile: Personally, I think that life at Kent has the best of both worlds as the campus is really beautiful and peaceful with ponds, woods, fields and loads of wildlife but also there is so much to do on campus! There's a cinema, gym, theatre, loads of cafes, bars and a nightclub which is great in your first year when you live on campus because everything you could need is right on your doorstep. Canterbury is a really beautiful town and has loads of shops, cafes, bars and restaurants. Also, because there's two other universities in Canterbury it still has a really nice student vibe to it and lots of student nights out, nightclubs and lots of bars. Canterbury is a place that feels homely when you need it to be but also fun when you're looking for something to do with your friends :biggrin: I've had a great time at Kent and honestly really recommend it!
Good luck with your university decisions and if you have any other questions about life at Kent then please feel free to ask :smile:
Hi there!

I thought I'd chip in and offer my experience of studying at Kent as well. :smile:

Yes, you are correct in saying that Canterbury is a much smaller city in comparison to Oxford (The population is more than double that of Canterbury based on my research). They are indeed two very different cities, both offering different touristic attractions and nightlife. I guess each city and campus will have their own individual selling point and perks! I would suggest doing some more research and figuring out what it is that you want from studying.

I chose Kent over my other uni options based on the teaching quality, research, city, and the course offered among other things and have never regretted it. I've had an amazing time here and made life-long friends - a fun 4 years that I will cherish forever. :biggrin:

Personally I think your University experience will be impacted by many things other than just simply the size of a city. I have friends who study in London (we're talking huge population here with entertainment everywhere) but it wasn't for them and they felt out of place. But of course everyone is different and that is just an example. Size is only one part of the story and I think the uni experience depends on how you make it out to be.

Student life here is great. I decided to immerse myself into the whole student experience since the first year so joined up to many societies including business, film, gaming and baking society which mostly run events/socials pretty much on a weekly basis. There's also pubs and a club on campus and many more in Canterbury town for you to pick from if you're searching for a fun night. They weren't my cup of tea - I was more of a house party kinda guy though, haha but I went to a few wicked student nights which are shared with the other uni's too (even more mingling for ya if thats your vibe). :cool:

In terms of entertainment we have an on-campus cinema, a town filled with shops, loads of historic sites, museums, gardens, boat tours and my personal fave - karaoke bars! You're also not too far from the beach and the Dover cliffs - great views btw if you want a photography sesh. I guess one of the reasons I really enjoyed it here was cause of the diversity and the community feeling as a whole. I felt at home and it was right for me.

So that's my personal experience! Hopefully this has helped. :biggrin: Reckon you should do some more research on Oxford so you can make up your mind for sure but good luck with it all buddy and best of luck with your A-level results if you're waiting on them.

Thanks for this info but I heard Kent generally doesn’t have a good student life and it is boring to study there compared to Oxford as Canterbury is a small city
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for this Info I already got my IB results yea ur right I will do some research on that
Go to Canterbury.
Reply 7
Reading this had really made me excited, thanks for all the great info in Kent I think this has pretty much affirmed my choice 😁

Hello @Pranjal01!

Congratulations on receiving your offers!! :smile: We are happy to hear that you are considering our university!

As a current student at Oxford Brookes I would like to share with you a bit about student life at Brookes. Oxford as a whole is a very student centred city, there is so much to do and it is easy to find something depending on your interests. The city centre is always bustling with students, with many shops, restaurants and cafes to enjoy. The city of Oxford is a historical city, with many beautiful sights to see and discover. Also as the university has many societies for students to join, there are many social events and activities which students can take part in with the different societies. There is so much to explore, that even after having spent two years at the university now I am always discovering new things to do!

I hope I was able to be of some help in answering your question.

If you do have any further questions then please do feel free to ask.

All the best,

Shaf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending