The Student Room Group

Cardiff vs Oxford Brookes for architecture?

My friend got offers from both universities for architecture and don't know which one to choose. Can anyone help out?
Original post by bztfad
My friend got offers from both universities for architecture and don't know which one to choose. Can anyone help out?

I can help talk to your friend if she wants to come online, but this needs to be their decision.
Advice would be to focus on the course content and choose the one that looks the most interesting.
Cardiff's a cheaper place to live and more of a classic city uni, I'm not as familiar with Oxford Brookes but I can't tell your friend that the answer is X. They need to decide for themselves.
Original post by bztfad

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2023/architecture-built-environment?&search=cardiff
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2023/architecture-built-environment?&search=oxford

QS rank: the same. But Cardiff is RG while oxford brookes is not. cardiff is a cheaper place to live and more of a classic city uni. Overall Cardiff > Oxford Brookes. You decide for yourself
Original post by justlearning1469
But Cardiff is RG while oxford brookes is not.

That literally means nothing though, especially at undergraduate level.
Original post by justlearning1469
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2023/architecture-built-environment?&search=cardiff
https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2023/architecture-built-environment?&search=oxford

QS rank: the same. But Cardiff is RG while oxford brookes is not. cardiff is a cheaper place to live and more of a classic city uni. Overall Cardiff > Oxford Brookes. You decide for yourself

Oxford Brookes has some architecture courses that aren’t available anywhere else in the UK (they’re not the standard RIBA part I that OPs friend is planning to take but the fact that RIBA and ARB are trialling innovative new courses at Oxford Brookes says a lot about the culture and quality of provision there)
Reply 5
Original post by bztfad

Has your friend decided between the two universities? I'm going to be studying architecture at Cardiff and just looking to meet some people before the year starts!
Original post by bztfad

Hi @bztfad,

Thank you for your post. As said already, this is a very personal decision and would have to be what is best for your friend. It is not my place to compare Oxford Brookes' programme to any others, but I can say that it is one of our most competitive and popular courses.

I would assume that you and your friend have already gone over the course page, however there is a lot of useful information in there about course content and the section labelled 'Why Oxford Brookes University?' may also be useful. I hope this is helpful and best of luck to your friend whatever they choose.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
Reply 7
Original post by mmateys
Has your friend decided between the two universities? I'm going to be studying architecture at Cardiff and just looking to meet some people before the year starts!

Sorry for the late reply, my friend has decided a university. She is also starting at Cardiff university to study architecture
Reply 8
Thank you everyone for helping out, my friend has decided to study at Cardiff university.
Reply 9
Original post by mmateys

Hey undergrad or postgraduate?
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Oxford Brookes has some architecture courses that aren’t available anywhere else in the UK (they’re not the standard RIBA part I that OPs friend is planning to take but the fact that RIBA and ARB are trialling innovative new courses at Oxford Brookes says a lot about the culture and quality of provision there)

Can explain more on this , I’m also considering both universities for MArch and my major concern is the quality of education ( are the tutors really helpful)and diversity in class and school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending