The Student Room Group

"Applying to Oxford or Cambridge"

Scroll to see replies

DoMakeSayThink
My point was derived from what I thought would be a more suitable basis for your original criticisms, that is, those who would do any course, so long as they could do it at Oxbridge. Those, I think, are the people more likely to want to attend for the name dropping opportunities.

DoMakeSayThink
To be honest, I would go to either Oxford or Cambridge over pretty much every university in this country. You're [sic] argument really doesn't make much sense. I think passion for subject is an awful lot more important than passion for institution.

One finds these posts incongruous. You raise Oxford and Cambridge on a pedestal, saying you'd go to either over any other university in the country. Whilst one finds you less despicable than the "any course" lot, you're still somewhat consumed by the "Oxbridge hype". That you would sooner go to them than others, based on name and prestige alone, speaks volumes. You appear to have the notion that those two universities are leagues ahead of all other universities in all subjects, which is simply not the case at all. That would make you misinformed. That, or you don't care about the specifics of the course, and so long as you're doing "subject X" at "Oxbridge", you're happy. That makes you a prestige whore.

Ironically, you come across as one of the despicable individuals that Irrelevance was ranting about. That you'd jump at the chance to study your subject (whatever that may be) at either hardly shows a passion. If you were truly passionate about your subject, you'd look at the course structures to see which universities covered the parts of your subject you like the most in the greatest depth, and other such details (without knowing your subject, one cannot be more specific. If a science, one would move on to the labs/theory ratios, if a historian the particular periods covered, etc.). No, you'd rather go to "Oxbridge", merely down to their reputations. Well done, you.
The Queen Of England
One finds these posts incongruous. You raise Oxford and Cambridge on a pedestal, saying you'd go to either over any other university in the country. Whilst one finds you less despicable than the "any course" lot, you're still somewhat consumed by the "Oxbridge hype". That you would sooner go to them than others, based on name and prestige alone, speaks volumes. You appear to have the notion that those two universities are leagues ahead of all other universities in all subjects, which is simply not the case at all. That would make you misinformed. That, or you don't care about the specifics of the course, and so long as you're doing "subject X" at "Oxbridge", you're happy. That makes you a prestige whore.

Ironically, you come across as one of the despicable individuals that Irrelevance was ranting about. That you'd jump at the chance to study your subject (whatever that may be) at either hardly shows a passion. If you were truly passionate about your subject, you'd look at the course structures to see which universities covered the parts of your subject you like the most in the greatest depth, and other such details (without knowing your subject, one cannot be more specific. If a science, one would move on to the labs/theory ratios, if a historian the particular periods covered, etc.). No, you'd rather go to "Oxbridge", merely down to their reputations. Well done, you.

Your making an awful lot of assumptions there. Who says I'm placing them leagues ahead of any other university, and who says it's on name and prestige alone? Certainly not I. In fact, I think those arguments ridiculous. You may be interested to know I'm actually studying at Edinburgh University, and the reason that I'd pick Oxford and Cambridge above other universities is the supervision/tutorial styles of teaching, and the course content. Having a friend at Cambridge doing the same subject as me (mathematics), I've been impressed by the content she has covered, and the experiences she has described.

Maybe you shouldn't make so many judgments based on my single post?

EDIT: Oh, it may also be relevant for you to know that I applied to, and was rejected from, Oxford. Having visited both universities, I was having trouble to decide, with the advantages of one being matched by those of the other, but being raised in Cambridge, I decided that I'd prefer the change of scene. I would still choose Oxford and Cambridge over any other universities, as they were the ones that impressed me most when I was researching my university choice. I'm sorry if that appears terribly shallow to you.
Reply 22
Irrelevance
Not quite, it was orignally about the equal consideration of both based on the value of reputation in such a fashion that makes hopefuls appear they aren't really bothered which one they go to, so long as it's one of them

If Oxford offered single honours philosophy then I'd have had to choose between there and here (Cambridge). I'm not sure I would have been too bothered about which one I went to, because they're both so similar. I would have wanted to go to one of them, though, because they sound (and Cambridge is) amazing universities to attend.

So basically the answer to your question is: They have lots of features that make them attractive (academic challenge, reputation, collegiate system, etc.) and they share these features. I am confused as to why you find this difficult to understand.
Reply 23
The Queen Of England
That you'd jump at the chance to study your subject (whatever that may be) at either hardly shows a passion. If you were truly passionate about your subject, you'd look at the course structures to see which universities covered the parts of your subject you like the most in the greatest depth, and other such details (without knowing your subject, one cannot be more specific.

This point always gets brought up in choosing. To be honest, I don't know how much most 18 year olds can really figure out about what they're later going to enjoy studying. Would I have applied to Cambridge if it had a compulsory aesthetics module in finals? Probably, because at that point I thought I was interested in aesthetics. Would it have been an enormous mistake? Yes.

In any case most university courses are far more similar than they are different, and other factors will often make far more of an impact on your university life.
Reply 24
Irrelevance
Not quite, it was orignally about the equal consideration of both based on the value of reputation in such a fashion that makes hopefuls appear they aren't really bothered which one they go to, so long as it's one of them

I'm failing to see your logic. If someone wants to go to one of the top unis in the UK, but can't make their mind up, why would it be better to make a blind decision instead of doing research into the courses they offer, visiting the places etc., before making that decision? Just because they haven't made their minds up doesn't mean they're not bothered; infact it can mean quite the opposite.

And I can see why people (including myself) would want to go to one of them, they're excellent unis and would benefit a lot of people from going there.

So really, what's your point?
Reply 25
The thing of it is of course people are going to be like that. Before you visit open days, your deciding factor is more on a few factors, like whether the courses you fancy are offered, what the statistics are good, perhaps course structure for when universities have detailed prospectuses (sometimes you have to leave these until open days). Considering Cambridge and Oxford are to of the "best" universities in terms of statistics, of course people will fancy applying to one of them and won't decide which until they visit. Personally, I'm only looking around Cambridge, and this is because, although I loved Oxford when I went on open days with my brother and he applied there, I just get more of a sense I'd prefer Cambridge. But I'm leaving an open mind until I actually look there.

People won't know which to apply to until they visit, the prospectus photos and the general views of city life are different to the actual experience of the university. So in my honest opinion I don't see the problem in them wanting to apply to either. And obviously, people care about the name for employers. They're big names so why not want to try your chances at an institution like that?
DoMakeSayThink
Your making an awful lot of assumptions there. Who says I'm placing them leagues ahead of any other university, and who says it's on name and prestige alone? Certainly not I. In fact, I think those arguments ridiculous. You may be interested to know I'm actually studying at Edinburgh University, and the reason that I'd pick Oxford and Cambridge above other universities is the supervision/tutorial styles of teaching, and the course content. Having a friend at Cambridge doing the same subject as me (mathematics), I've been impressed by the content she has covered, and the experiences she has described.

Maybe you shouldn't make so many judgments based on my single post

Fair enough, one apologises for jumping to conclusions. You should have made that clearer in your original posts, as you didn't come across too well.
Reply 27
Not with me, Cambridge never even got a look in.
I chose Oxford for a number of reasons:
~ Nicer location.
~ Both my aunt and granny went there so I'd like to carry on the tradition and also they both had a great time.
~ Cambridge just seems more arsey.
~ I fell in love with Magdalen when I was first looking at the prospectus.

The only thing that could have swung it in Cambridge's favour is that they do straight Philosophy and Oxford doesn't. The History course at Oxford is really good though so that makes up for it ;D
Irrelevance
It's the fact that so many people consider both instead of being commited to a single choice which is what baffles me. If you end up considering both, there's no real decision there, it's more like, "Ah well, one or the other should do me just fine" due to their names and reputation alone. They don't know anything about the uni's, the courses, etc, they just want to go to either

On the contrary, the attitude which you criticise is in fact perfectly reasonable - Oxford and Cambridge do offer extremely similar university experiences, they are similar cities, and (with a few exceptions) have a very similar range of courses on offer (the niceties of the options available etc. are of course different, but as a sixth-former you're unlikely to know precisely what it'll all involve and what you'll be interested in so if you try to base your decision on this it'll effectively be arbitrary anyway).

In fact, unless you're going for a course which only one of the two universities offers (PPE, vet medicine) or a course which differs substantially between the two (sciences, for example), then I'd say anyone who exhibits a strong preference for one over the other will either be basing their opinion on prejudice, or they will be giving undue weight to minor differences between the two.
Reply 29
Irrelevance
They aren't picking it for the course, for it's location, the people, the social life, whatever. They choose it for it's name.

The thing is, Oxford and Cambridge are perhaps the two most similar universities in the UK. The social scene is very similar, the people are obviously very similar, the courses are similarly academically rigorous. Location is the one feature that is perhaps widely interpreted as being different, but, apart from the fact that Cambridge is quieter, both have similar architecture, both are dominated by a river, both have fair amounts of 'greenery' and are both fairly flat. Both are a similar size, and a similar distance from London. Both are collegiate universities.

So the reason many Oxbridge candidates, myself included, would be happy to go to either Oxford or Cambridge, as long as they're at one of them, isn't simply because they're prestige whores (my own 'whoring' is entirely coincidental) - it's because there's very little to choose between the universities anyway. I'm not saying there are no differences, only that the similarities far outweight the differences. For a minority of courses there is probably a huge difference (I know Modern Languages differ a lot), and some courses aren't done by both, but for the majority of courses there isn't that much to choose between the two. The two are almost welded together in the whole application process (and are viewed as such by the general public) anyway, as evidenced by the widespread use of the term Oxbridge, and the joint open days. I don't know the main reason people apply to Oxbridge, but I'll hazard a guess at academic reputation. In that case, it doesn't really matter which one you're at, and so those applying because of the high academic standards of the two universities are unlikely to favour one to highly over the other.

The Queen of England
That you'd jump at the chance to study your subject (whatever that may be) at either hardly shows a passion. If you were truly passionate about your subject, you'd look at the course structures to see which universities covered the parts of your subject you like the most in the greatest depth, and other such details (without knowing your subject, one cannot be more specific. If a science, one would move on to the labs/theory ratios, if a historian the particular periods covered, etc.).

Yes, the intricacies of the course make a difference, but both Oxford and Camgridge guarentee a high level of academic study for your chosen course, as well as one-on-one (or close enough) tuition. I think your points are more relevant to deciding where to study for an MA or PhD. At the point of applying for an undergraduate degree, your knowledge of the subject is usually fairly limited, and I don't think it's a good idea to allow decisions to sway on hunches like 'I liked a book this guy wrote, and he's on the syllabus at Southampton but not at Bristol'. The guarentee of academic rigour and the weekly tutorials/supervisions, plus the fact that most Oxbridge courses cover the subject in great detail, means that you're unlikely to go wrong with an Oxbridge degree because it doesn't have your favourite author on it, or it doesn't have a lab/teacher ratio of >0.1. If you do go 'wrong', it'll be because you aren't equipped for the level or quantity of work, or because of social factors, or because the collegiate system doesn't suit you, not because you're longing for that one extra lab session a week that Durham were offering.
Murr
The reason why people don't say "I'll either apply to UCL or LSE", is because they would be able to apply to both, as you've mentioned. That's really the only reason people would say either - they like both, and have yet to make up their mind.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking - people are allowed to like both of them!

For what it's worth, OP - I never thought about Cambridge, and the only justifications I can think of are that Cambridge is further away from home for me, and that I have more experience of Oxford.

*shrugs*

Edit: Murr - thank-you for recalling Pikmin to my mind. I'd forgotten how much I like them. :^_^:
t.w.
The guarentee of academic rigour and the weekly tutorials/supervisions, plus the fact that most Oxbridge courses cover the subject in great detail, means that you're unlikely to go wrong with an Oxbridge degree because it doesn't have your favourite author on it, or it doesn't have a lab/teacher ratio of >0.1. If you do go 'wrong', it'll be because you aren't equipped for the level or quantity of work, or because of social factors, or because the collegiate system doesn't suit you, not because you're longing for that one extra lab session a week that Durham were offering.

One should not underestimate the potential differences between courses. Whilst, largely, most courses with the same course code will be the same, there are also many courses where the difference will be significant. For example, Imperial College's Chemistry course is far more "practical" than Oxford's; Oxford's is renowned for its theoretical focus, and Imperial College's is renowned for its practical focus. If one detested the practical side of Chemistry, one would be better off at Oxford. If one loved the practical side, one would be better off at Imperial College. In such a case, the difference is far more than just "one more lab a week". Another example is History; the History course that LSE offers is very different to those offered at either Oxford or Cambridge. In all of the natural sciences, Oxford offers narrower, more rigid options compared to other universities such as UCL and Imperial College; one is forced to take "U + V + W, X or Y" in year "Z" for many Oxford science courses. Contrastingly, other universities such as Imperial College, Southampton and UCL offer "P + 3 of Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X or Y" in year "Z". This choice should be a factor in decisions; whilst applicants won't know the contents of the modules (represented by letters), candidates should decide whether they prefer the more rigid or the more flexible system. Less confident applicants might choose the flexible system, under the safety net of "if I don't like V when I start it at uni, at least I won't be forced to take it futher". Cambridge natural sciences are a whole different kettle of fish, so one will not go into that.
The Queen Of England
One should not underestimate the potential differences between courses. Whilst, largely, most courses with the same course code will be the same, there are also many courses where the difference will be significant. For example, Imperial College's Chemistry course is far more "practical" than Oxford's; Oxford's is renowned for its theoretical focus, and Imperial College's is renowned for its practical focus. If one detested the practical side of Chemistry, one would be better off at Oxford. If one loved the practical side, one would be better off at Imperial College. In such a case, the difference is far more than just "one more lab a week". Another example is History; the History course that LSE offers is very different to those offered at either Oxford or Cambridge. In all of the natural sciences, Oxford offers narrower, more rigid options compared to other universities such as UCL and Imperial College; one is forced to take "U + V + W, X or Y" in year "Z" for many Oxford science courses. Contrastingly, other universities such as Imperial College, Southampton and UCL offer "P + 3 of Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X or Y" in year "Z". This choice should be a factor in decisions; whilst applicants won't know the contents of the modules (represented by letters), candidates should decide whether they prefer the more rigid or the more flexible system. Less confident applicants might choose the flexible system, under the safety net of "if I don't like V when I start it at uni, at least I won't be forced to take it futher". Cambridge natural sciences are a whole different kettle of fish, so one will not go into that.

Happy belated birthday by the way...:wink:
Reply 33
Profesh
So, essentially, you take umbrage with people who prioritise academic reputation, subject-choice and career-prospects (in which respect Oxford and Cambridge are equally pre-eminent)? How very petty. I rather suspect that what really piques you is the propensity of certain individuals (who are often, despite their flippancy, prodigiously talented) to approach such venerable institutions in such a blasé fashion; with no trace either of reverence or of awe. Heresy, indeed.

Profesh, you make us sound ridiculously excellent - while most of the people I know at Oxford are good, few are very obviously geniouses. Although perhaps I'm showing lack of awe, but only because I know I'm naff and I'm there... :p:

As to the question at hand (is there a question? Why do so many people feel the need to come and rant at Oxbridge?), I was applying to "Oxbridge", with a preference to Cambridge (because Pink Floyd came from there and it sounded greener. Deep, I know) before I visited and found out Cambridge is mainly nasty brick and that Oxford is gorgeous. To be honest, I wouldn't have minded doing NatSci (nice and open) or my straight science (although I would have been very restricted in NatSci since I didn't do Maths or Physics to A-level equiv). But yes, mainly people probably don't know much about either (I genuinely thought there was a town called "Oxbridge" earlier on in the year I applied...), yet have a vague idea that they both include clever people, a challenging enviroment and very pretty surroundings, all of which are quite appealing to some people.
Reply 34
Profesh
So, essentially, you take umbrage with people who prioritise academic reputation, subject-choice and career-prospects (in which respect Oxford and Cambridge are equally pre-eminent)? How very petty. I rather suspect that what really piques you is the propensity of certain individuals (who are often, despite their flippancy, prodigiously talented) to approach such venerable institutions in such a blasé fashion; with no trace either of reverence or of awe. Heresy, indeed.

Classic! :rofl:
Reply 35
The Queen Of England

I think the point is that only very rarely are prospective undergraduates equipped to make a rational, informed decision about what they would or wouldn't like at that level of detail. That botched practical coursework experience at A-level Chemistry may well lead certain people to apply to a theoretical course rather than a practical one at a university they much prefer, but is this evidence really sufficient to mount such an important decision on? How do prospective undergraduates discern exactly where their interests lie? Through some telepathic inner sense that tells them options P, Q and R would spell disaster and that instead S, T and U would maximise both their eventual degree classification and the worth of their experience? Course selection (after having chosen the subject) is actually much less important than university selection: if you have an interest in your subject then the overwhelming majority of courses based on that subject will be enjoyable to you, and it is more often the atmosphere of the university rather than the content of the course that determines the overall enjoyment of the university experience. Then there are all the obvious points; certain universities, like it or not, have better facilities, a better teaching structure, a better reputation and provide better job prospects. The fact that one can rarely accurately predict just how one might react to trivial differences in course structure, combined with the fact that that the above list of career and reputation orientated detail is more important than the subtle (albeit fascinating) differences between studying the digestive system of a horse or a cow, means that your vehement tirades against those who fail to formulate some bizarre 'cost-analysis' system of assigning value to minor course differences seems hopelessly misplaced.
Reply 36
I don't know really, it's more used as the collective term when people discuss applications because the whole application process for those two is so different.

I picked King's College, Cambridge, specifically.
Reply 37
skagitup

I picked King's College, Cambridge, specifically.

So did I lol, didn't make it into that college :wink:
I don't mind people saying "Oxford/Cambridge" - as has been stated many times previously, everybody has to make up their mind at some point. However, "Law/Medicine" does annoy me a little, as both require huge amounts of commitment and passion, and if you have to make up your mind as to which of them you want to do, you probably shouldn't be doing them at all. The fact that they differ so much is what seals it for me. If it were, say, Maths and CompSci, there is a lot of crossover and thus deciding between them could be tricky. All Law and Medicine share is the key to making a great deal of money...
Reply 39
Irrelevance
I see this a lot in here. People who choose to go to one of these say at the start, "I will be applying to Oxford or Cambridge" or say, "I will be visiting Oxford and Cambridge". This, to me, suggests that the candidate isn't particularly arsed which one they go to, so long as they get into one, that's all that matters because it's something to slip into coversation over coffee. They aren't picking it for the course, for it's location, the people, the social life, whatever. They choose it for it's name.
Utterly rubbish. The two have a very similar social life, both have a tutorial system and collegiate structure, so there's a lot of similarities. Few people would love one and not the other. Most people, in my experience, choose to apply to Oxbridge because they really like their subject and are very good at it. If I love history, and want to do it at uni, asking whether Oxford or Cambridge are better for it is an entirely valid thing to do.

I applied to Oxford primarily because I loved the tutorial system and wanted a challenge. Whether that was Oxford's E&M or Cambridge's Economics wouldn't have made much of a difference. In the end, I went for E&M as I preferred the course (and did over 80% economics anyway), but I'm sure I'd have loved either. Hence it was a difficult choice to make.

Irrelevance
It could be argued that this could be compared with any other two universities, however, the point here is that you won't get two universities so closely compared, for example, not many people say, "i'll be applying to UCL or LSE", they usually make a choice then and there even though they could apply to both.
Actually, people do try and choose between LSE and UCL in the same way. But you've missed the point - you can apply to both LSE and UCL. You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge. Hence you have to make the decision of which, earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending