The Student Room Group

History Admissions Assessment (Cambridge HAA)

Granted I get an interview, I will be sitting the HAA in a few weeks time.
Besides from practicing past papers, I'm a bit stuck on how to revise/prepare for it. There doesn't appear to be any other mark scheme and I don't really know how to revise for it as it's not content based.
To anyone who has sat the HAA, how best would you prepare for it, specifically in approaching the sources and writing about them with no prior knowledge?
Also, I've heard the HAA is similar to the HAT. Would it be alright if I used resources from Oxford to help with HAA prep as there seems to be a lot more

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lhq20054
Granted I get an interview, I will be sitting the HAA in a few weeks time.
Besides from practicing past papers, I'm a bit stuck on how to revise/prepare for it. There doesn't appear to be any other mark scheme and I don't really know how to revise for it as it's not content based.
To anyone who has sat the HAA, how best would you prepare for it, specifically in approaching the sources and writing about them with no prior knowledge?
Also, I've heard the HAA is similar to the HAT. Would it be alright if I used resources from Oxford to help with HAA prep as there seems to be a lot more

I am also an applicant so I am not too sure but from what I have heard the MAT papers can be used in preparation for the HAA as they require the same skills.
Reply 2
Original post by IA!
I am also an applicant so I am not too sure but from what I have heard the MAT papers can be used in preparation for the HAA as they require the same skills.

Apologies I meant HAT and not MAT (but ofc you understood what I meant)
Reply 3
Original post by IA!
Apologies I meant HAT and not MAT (but ofc you understood what I meant)

Oh yeah dw I figured that's what you meant :smile:
Thank you so much, this process is so daunting atm!
Reply 4
Hello! I’m also applying to study History at Cambridge and I wonder if the HAA still has section 1? And which college r u applying for!
Reply 5
Original post by Kh672
Hello! I’m also applying to study History at Cambridge and I wonder if the HAA still has section 1? And which college r u applying for!

I can't remember what the old sections were, but it's just the essay of two source comparisons this year :smile:
You can find past papers on the Cambridge website
I'm applying for Jesus! What about you?
Reply 6
Original post by lhq20054
I can't remember what the old sections were, but it's just the essay of two source comparisons this year :smile:
You can find past papers on the Cambridge website
I'm applying for Jesus! What about you?

OHHHH thank you! The email I received indicates that the test is 90 min, so i thought there’s gonna be an extra session🤣. I’m applying for St Johns College! But haven’t got an interview yet😭
HistPol applicant here - I've basically just been doing the three available papers over and over, picking out a different theme/aspect to compare each time. Additionally, I've looked at sources from the HAT to analyse to get in as much practice as possible with simply handling high-level, unseen sources - though the exams are different, so this doesn't help with comparison. I really don't feel prepared at all tbh, but I kind of think they want examinees to be under-prepared in order to get a sense of skills, rather than seeing hundreds of regurgitated essays. I'll therefore personally just be practicing the timings, plus formulating clear and considered arguments.

Best of luck to everyone taking the HAA soon - I personally haven't received any correspondence with Cambridge about whether or not I've been invited to take it, but hopefully it'll all work out! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kh672
OHHHH thank you! The email I received indicates that the test is 90 min, so i thought there’s gonna be an extra session🤣. I’m applying for St Johns College! But haven’t got an interview yet😭

I think the extra 30 minutes is to give you time to upload it :smile:
Does anyone know if we can print the HAA before we start?
Reply 10
Original post by Bubblefluffy50
Does anyone know if we can print the HAA before we start?

They give you an extra 30 mins for this kind of thing so go for it
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I’m taking the test tmrw… Do any of you know how much I’m supposed to write?
Reply 12
Original post by Eloise2222
Hi, I’m taking the test tmrw… Do any of you know how much I’m supposed to write?

they talk about how they prefer quality over quantity, but ig at least ~1000 words? idrk I think as long as its good they don't mind too much. How much did you write in the practices?
Original post by RussellWoods
they talk about how they prefer quality over quantity, but ig at least ~1000 words? idrk I think as long as its good they don't mind too much. How much did you write in the practices?

Around 800 words !
I only wrote one practice test though
The two others I just tried planning out in 15 mins
Reply 14
Around 800 words !
I only wrote one practice test though
The two others I just tried planning out in 15 mins

Yeah maybe I'm highballing a bit- I type my exams so I'm kinda used to it. I think end of the day even like 600 words of really great analysis is better than 1400 words of waffle
Original post by RussellWoods
Yeah maybe I'm highballing a bit- I type my exams so I'm kinda used to it. I think end of the day even like 600 words of really great analysis is better than 1400 words of waffle

Also sorry to spam but should I quote the sources or just paraphrase? My teacher told me it was better to paraphrase/reformulate what the sources are saying but I find that it’s sometimes best to just quote directly
Reply 16
Also sorry to spam but should I quote the sources or just paraphrase? My teacher told me it was better to paraphrase/reformulate what the sources are saying but I find that it’s sometimes best to just quote directly

I prefer quoting but yk whatever you feel comfortable with

Sometimes rewording can actually be useful as a form of analysis unto itself, especially if its a more complex idea - like it shows that you understand what is being said and the implications. In some cases though it's fine to quote directly, like if you're talking about tone or smth.
Reply 18
Good luck everyone with the HAA tomorrow! Going to log off now so I don't stress myself out too much :smile:

Me too aaaa
I've averaged about 900 from the past papers personally, but I agree with what's already been said here that quality>quantity.
Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending