The Student Room Group

Which flashcard is superior? Anki or Quizlet

Big question for me. I've been using Quizlet for a while and enjoy it's sleek design and recently bought the Plus version for the better formatting options (and the fact that it was 40% off...). But I recently came across Anki when looking at a way to change fonts on quizlet. I've been using it for a day and whilst it is very barebones, with some tweaking and some add-on's it's looking way better and big point is I can use fonts like Sans Forgetica. My big problem with it is the price. Whilst I use my PC to write the flashcards I revise using my phone as it's more portable. Anki on iPhone is £23.99... I can buy it with time but I wont be able to make flashcard whilst I save up. So I gotta ask which is better in your guys opinions?
I much prefer Anki, however price is not a problem for me because I have an android phone, so I use AnkiDroid on my phone and Anki on my PC. I like Anki because you can grade the flashcard based on it's difficulty - e.g. If you found it hard, easy, in the middle, etc. and it will set the number of days until you must go through that flashcard again(you can customise this to your own preference). E.g. If you found it hard, it will automatically set that flashcard to the next day, or if it was easy : 4 days, or if you got it completely wrong, you can set it to <1min or <10min. Hard to explain this concept unless I can show you the app :

https://youtu.be/7K2StK7e3ww skip to around 1:20 - this is what I mean about the grading.

I have tried quizlet, but it just doesn't suit me personally.
Original post by GoogGooglyMoogly
Big question for me. I've been using Quizlet for a while and enjoy it's sleek design and recently bought the Plus version for the better formatting options (and the fact that it was 40% off...). But I recently came across Anki when looking at a way to change fonts on quizlet. I've been using it for a day and whilst it is very barebones, with some tweaking and some add-on's it's looking way better and big point is I can use fonts like Sans Forgetica. My big problem with it is the price. Whilst I use my PC to write the flashcards I revise using my phone as it's more portable. Anki on iPhone is £23.99... I can buy it with time but I wont be able to make flashcard whilst I save up. So I gotta ask which is better in your guys opinions?

I 100% prefer ANKI.

I use it primarily for A level history. As I'm sure you've already discovered, there's so much more option than simply flashcards, as you can use 'cloze' and even multiple choice, which are far better than flashcards alone. I use the AnkiDroid app and although it is very bare it works really well. The last examwhere I used it, I had 180 facts and figures and managed to recall every bit of info I needed for my essay (got best in class in the end). It only took like a week and a bit to remember, and that was about 20m a day. The

ANKI's algorithim is more complex than Quizlet's and allows you to remember things quicker in a way that's tailored to your memory (based on the difficulty you have remembering each card). It's also much quicker; many people use ANKI to remember thousands of things i.e. Japanese words. Quizlet feels slower and is a lot harder to manage when there's many cards.

ANKI can feel complicated at first but like it has worked so well for me that I cannot not recommend it to you. I used Quizlet at GCSE and it was only mediocre (though I had the free version). ANKI is much better.

I believe there's a chance that there's another ANKI app on the iOS app store for free, you should see if you can find it before paying £24 for the main one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending