The Student Room Group

Mathswatch

Please could u help with part b) to a question. It says explain why x^2 -8x + 20 is always postive.

Its hard to get marks on mathswtach because the explaination has to be exact. If u could help that would be really appreciated. Thanks so much . Ive attached an image of the question .
Screenshot_20190930-200647_Samsung Internet.jpg
(edited 4 years ago)
okay well if you rearrange to complete the square, you get (x^2-4)^2 +4
and seeing as anything squared will always be positive or zero, the lowest possible value for (x^2-4)^2 is 0, when x = 4
and 0 + 4 = 4, which is greater than 0, so positive

hope that helps!
Original post by dysf(x)al13
okay well if you rearrange to complete the square, you get (x^2-4)^2 +4
and seeing as anything squared will always be positive or zero, the lowest possible value for (x^2-4)^2 is 0, when x = 4
and 0 + 4 = 4, which is greater than 0, so positive

hope that helps!

I understand but is there any way of re wording this because mathswatch is marking it as wrong
Reply 4
Original post by Pleasehelpme562
Screenshot_20190930-200647_Samsung Internet.jpg

Did you mean to say, “add 2 to it”? The expression contains a 4 not a 2.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Did you mean to say, “add 2 to it”? The expression contains a 4 not a 2.

I tried 4 at first but it was marked as wring so i wrote 2
Reply 6

Well it's clear that you understand the concept and would get marks in a real exam but unfortunately Mathswatch isn't clever enough to replace a teacher/examiner. I recommend that you keep trying different wording to explain the same thing until it accepts it. @Muttley79 may have some suggestions?

Mathswatch is incredibly annoying and we don't use it because it is very pedantic -

Try different things (x - 4)^2 is always great than or equal to zero

So (x - 4)^2 + 4 > 0 for all values of x.

Good luck in funding the key words the programme is looking for!
I'm afraid the HENCE in part b) suggests you should use your answer from part a).
Replacing 'anything squared' from your answer with '(x-4)^2' would probably give you the mark.
Reply 9
Original post by Yasminfnaf
I'm afraid the HENCE in part b) suggests you should use your answer from part a).
Replacing 'anything squared' from your answer with '(x-4)^2' would probably give you the mark.

This marked it correct thank you
Reply 10
Original post by Yasminfnaf

thanku

If you write (x-4)² is always positive or equal to zero, and if you add 4 to it, it must be above zero so x²-8x+20 is positive”

I got full marks when u wrote this, but i had to copy and paste the squared from a different question becuase it didnt give me the squared option

Quick Reply

Latest