The Student Room Group

Y13 Leavers Ball

I have my leavers ball at the start of next week. I was just wondering if people out there who have already had theres could answer a few questions:
1. How formal is it- ive heard its not the same as the Y11 ball, i plan on wearing a shirt, tie and jacket?
2. Will they check for I.D.- i wont be 18 yet everyone else will be drinking
3. Will people be hiring limo's to get there. All of my mates i have been talking to dont actually know how they will get there. We got the details of the ball late, so didnt have much time to organise transport.
4. Will there be taxis available at the end of the night, or is it advised to book one beforehand.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
I'm not sure whether it's possible to give you the answer you're looking for (many of us didn't even have a year 11 ball). Different schools will have different rules. Is there alcohol there? There wasn't at mine due to the problem of everyone not being 18. If there is I'd imagine they'd check ID.

The simple thing is just to ask organisers yourself.
Reply 2
1. Ours was fairly formal but they wern't that strict about it.
2. Yep they did check ID at ours.
3. We did but other people went on kids scooters, tricycles, the school mini bus, old fancy cars.
4. Not sure on this - me and a friend had the crazy idea of walking the 4/5 miles home at about 2am!
Reply 3
Every school's ball is different, so it's hard to tell. Basically it's the people that go that make the ball happen the way it does, so ask what everyone else is doing. but I'll try to answer you questions:

1. Yes definitely formal shirt, tie, jacket, smart trousers and shoes. A tux probably wouldn't go amiss, though you might want to make sure some other people are doing the same.
2. My prom didn't check for ID. It really depends. The drinks were overpriced anyway so most people saved drinking for when they went into town after the ball.
3. In my year 11 prom it was the thing to do, with everyone standing outside to watch people arrive. In year 13 (different school) people went straight inside so there was no point in making a grand entrance. See what others are doing. My friend's dad gave us a lift and that was fine.
4. I doubt they'd have taxis unless you book them. Most people went out after the ball anyway and then got taxis home from there.
Reply 4
Best to ask people who you know are going - it really does vary!!

I didn't have one at the end of yr11, and our sixth form (went to different school) all hated each other so they booked out a restaurant last minute and people just came/went as they pleased and wore what they wanted, lol!

Shirt/tie/jacket combo will be fine though, dress up smarter if you want but go what you feel best in :smile:
If you are going somewhere like a hotel, they should check for ID and have some sort of policy on buying alcohol (where i worked we recently held a sixth form do, over 18's wore wristbands and could only buy one drink at a time)
Transport, once again upto you. The party i worked out, the school had organised buses there and back. Probably best if you book a taxi for the end, save a lot of hassle

-x-
Reply 5
ours was black tie..
depends on the place and school. it can even boil down to who serves you
i dont see the point in a limo. save the money for drink.
you can always flag a taxi down, even if you have to wait a little while. i had a hotel room :wink: :p:
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Reply 7
1 You should be fine with what you are wearing, smart is good you can always loose the tie depending what everyone else is wearing,
2 They usually dont check for ID, but if they do, dont go to the bar, get your friends to buy it for you and just have a coke were your sitting too, so you can shove the drink at someone who is over 18
3 You could just get your parents to drive you there, or share a taxi with a few friends, at my prom less tended to bother with limos etc in y13
4 Book a taxi for when its due to finish, so you know you can get home, if its on a friday or saturday night definatley make sure you have booked one as it will be very busy
1. Fairly formal, but nobody minds if someone isn't wearing a jacket for example.
2. I got IDed once at the start of the night- later on when the bar was busier they weren't bothering.
3. There were a few in limos, but not loads.
4. Take your phone and the number of a taxi company.
1. Ours was fairly formal - all the guys were in suits and all the girls were in dresses. Obviously guy's suits ranged from shirt and jacket, all the way to waistcoats
2. They didn't really check ID at ours (which was suprising, it was at York Racecourse)
3. My parents took me. Limo's were only a good idea at The Royal York (the other place it was going to be) because they had a red carpet walk up. It really doesnt matter how you turn up!
4. We booked a taxi, as did most people, to get them back into the City Centre/Home

Latest

Trending

Trending