The Student Room Group

University of Oxford 2021 Applicants Official thread!

You can find part 2 of this thread here.

Considering that the 2020 thread is one year old now and that rejections from colleges have started coming in, I think it is high time now that this thread should land.

Please list your course, college and predicted grades!

I might apply for Mathematics at Balliol and am predicting A*A*A in Maths, Physics, and Chem in addition to AS further maths.

You can find threads for those applying to other universities here.

This is the link to "Oxford Demystified" by @Oxford Mum and a lot of other people who have written chapters. As the name suggests, it is just Oxford myth-busting and students' experiences.

And as @Oxford Mum says:
There are 3 things that are certain in life: death, taxes and Oxford admissions tests...

Please report your interview invites status on this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeMpclVWD2VuASImocBOmoBqLiZilkLT5Kr_-Cf6NFdr9fVGQ/viewform?fbzx=-4669363385756193301

Responses to the above form are visible here:

https://go.skimresources.com/?id=6367X1538160&isjs=1&jv=14.4.0-stackpath&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestudentroom.co.uk%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D6231236%26page%3D288&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fspreadsheets%2Fd%2F12mmjGO_emQL6K_yBnjrAwgyFLha9ZV4NH1H2C4fANgE%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&xguid=01EJWM04NYZJJWKHKSAS5FNERH&xs=1&xtz=-330&xuuid=de7b4f05eb442abc01cc60f49d04376a&xjsf=other_click__auxclick%20%5B2%5D

For those who've already taken an interview, please self assess here:

Form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc3ku7M5l7zmZi2eswM3Vn1DyiB2prJN1iSHSFjpigjWndNpQ/viewform

Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z7fMVTihoCjy31cQcaklGSKTFaJmbG1fa8wf6haW76A/edit?usp=sharing

Credits to @9dobbo1 for the above spreadsheets
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
PPE
Magdalen (still unsure)
International applicant so hopefully after conversion
AAA: Psychology (school doesn't offer Phil), Political Science, Economics
Here we go again, second times the charm :smile:
Got rejected for 2020, going to wait for the feedback and if it is something I can fix i will be joining you guys on the journey.

I am an international student from Austria and might/will apply for law at any college aside from Worcester *cry*
Hi. I am a potential applicant for History of Art in 2021 as i can't apply with my current predictions. I also want to apply for an art foundation. I am doing my A levels this year, and I am predicted A*, A*/A, A, B in Fine Art, EPQ, History of Art and Biology respectively. I am working towards A*A*A*A grades and would like to apply for Oxford, the Courtauld institute, UCL and Manchester (I haven't decided the last UCAS slot.)

I am particularly interested in the historical approach to the History of Art course at Oxford, and its lack of looking at Art through a chronological lens of development - as one linear lineage, and is less Western centric in comparison to other university courses which do not even consider the problem of Eurocentrism. I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on History of Art applications and personal statements to oxbridge in general?

I am a little anxious about my GCSE grades though for applications as I understand that applications are under considerable scrutiny. Especially considering that I study at the same highly-selective private school. I know that i will be considered as the less academic of my cohort, whom are considered to be extremely bright. At GCSE, I achieved A*,A*,A*,A*, A* (HPQ), 9, 7, 5, A, A, A, A. Also, the lower grades were in the humanities, as during my GCSE years i didn't know how to write essays well. Now, i feel more confident with essay writing and i feel as though these grades, although i worked for them, do not do justice to my academic capabilities.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I am doing CIE A-Level and planning to apply to Merton for Physics!
I am predicting an A*A*A*A* (but I am taking Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Biology instead of Further Maths so that might be quite an issue no?)
Oh Hey! Are you going to apply to the Prestigious University of Oxford for entry in 2021?

Then welcome all and good luck!!

Please tell us your:

1.course name
2.College name
3.A level achieved/predicted grades
4.Subjects being undertaken
5.GCSE grades
6.Why Oxford?
7.Other unis you have applied to

Good luck!!
Original post by Vodex_Law
Got rejected for 2020, going to wait for the feedback and if it is something I can fix i will be joining you guys on the journey.

I am an international student from Austria and might/will apply for law at any college aside from Worcester *cry*

You did not get past the interview phase?
Reply 7

Undergrad or postgrad?
Original post by jgcr2019
You did not get past the interview phase?

Didn't even make it to the interview phase haha Reckon my LNAT essay sucked
Original post by PG_Law
Undergrad or postgrad?

Under
Hey I just got rejected so will be applying again next year. I am applying for CompSci at Worcester perhaps. I got 99999877A D* at GCSE and am predicted A*AA at Alevel. I'm waiting for feedback but am like 99% sure it was because I dont do further maths, and thus will do it in my Gap year.
I want to apply for mathematics in 2021, grades aren't quite up to it at the moment though.
I am predicted A*AAAA* (Mathematics, Further Mathematics, History, Economics and EPQ)
Hello, I have been under the impression that doing 4 A Levels and an EPQ was impossible. How did you manage to do this and could you share some personal insight into the stress levels and balancing other duties with this? I am considering doing this for A Levels myself however I am not sure any school would actually LET me. Thank you.

Same here lol, only that I'm from Germany and (re)applying for PPE. I hope I'll make wiser decisions next time :smile:
Original post by WeStressed
Hello, I have been under the impression that doing 4 A Levels and an EPQ was impossible. How did you manage to do this and could you share some personal insight into the stress levels and balancing other duties with this? I am considering doing this for A Levels myself however I am not sure any school would actually LET me. Thank you.

It's not impossible, and my sixth form makes you do EPQ no matter how many subjects you take. You have to really prioritise academics over anything else as the amount of time that you have to spend studying is crazy. Luckily in year 2 there is no EPQ so that's no longer a problem. The stress is crazy but my sixth form has a good wellbeing team that we can talk to and that helps along with any workshops and extras that your subjects hold in the college timetable are really useful. Just have to focus on the fact that by the end of the 2 years that you have 4 a levels and EPQ to your name and that puts you in a good place for university.
Wooh, already up and going with this!

I am applying next year as someone who applied this year for Law but then realised (inconveniently after successfully being invited to interview) that PPE, not Law, is my academic passion. So I am taking a (hopefully maturing) gap year and preparing myself for the application process next year.

1. PPE
2. Christ Church (most likely)
3. A*A*A*A* predicted
4. Maths, Music, Philosophy, Physics
5. Seven 9s, One A^, One 8, One 7, One 6
6. The pinnacle of personal intellectual development and societal academic progress
7. Not sure yet, but most likely Durham and London Unis

Thank you, and good luck to everyone also!
Hi, I believe you're looking for https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6231236 ! We've already had a long discussion over there. Thanks!
Original post by ykathiyy
Same here lol, only that I'm from Germany and (re)applying for PPE. I hope I'll make wiser decisions next time :smile:

Ah, nice! Best of luck!!
I am applying next year as someone who applied this year for Law but then realised (inconveniently after successfully being invited to interview) that PPE, not Law, is my academic passion. So am taking a gap year and applying to PPE (probably at Christ Church) next year. 4 A*s predicted.

Good luck to everyone also!
I'm thinking of applying for Computer Science & Philosophy at New College, predicted A*A*A*A* - physics, maths, further maths and history - so hopefully 🤞

Latest

Trending

Trending