The Student Room Group

Van der Pol equation help???

heyy guys i got a quick question:

what does each term mean in the equation?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by myii
heyy guys i got a quick question:

what is modelled by each term in the Van der Pol equation??

What do you think each term models?
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
What do you think each term models?

what does it mean by modelling?
Original post by myii
what does it mean by modelling?

Each term represents something in a physical sense. For instance, the xx term is displacement, what does x¨\ddot{x} model ??

Think about what the middle term models in a similar fashion.
Reply 4
Each term represents something in a physical sense. For instance, the xx term is displacement, what does x¨\ddot{x} model ??

Think about what the middle term models in a similar fashion.

ohh okay for example does x with a dot on the top represent the displacement derivative?
Original post by myii
ohh okay for example does '\ddot{x}' represent the displacement derivative?

x¨\ddot{x} is standard notation for the second derivative of xx with respect to time.

If it's not displaying properly (i.e. you instead see code for \ddot{x}) then you should view this thread on a better web browser.
Reply 6
x¨\ddot{x} is standard notation for the second derivative of xx with respect to time.

If it's not displaying properly (i.e. you instead see code for \ddot{x}) then you should view this thread on a better web browser.

ahhh thanks for letting me know so does the notation of 'μ' in the van der pol equation mean a scalar parameter indicating the non-linearity?
Original post by myii
ahhh thanks for letting me know so does the notation of 'μ' in the van der pol equation mean a scalar parameter indicating the non-linearity?

Pretty much, though you can be a bit more specific because the nonlinearity comes from the product (1x2)x˙(1-x^2)\dot{x}.

The μ\mu is just a parameter denoting the strength of this nonlinearity. It is the damping parameter.

It's also important to realise that the Van der Pol equation x¨μ(1x2)x˙+x=0\ddot{x} - \mu(1-x^2)\dot{x} + x = 0 is a dimensionless equation. I mentioned above that it has terms representing something in a physical sense, but in any physical application your equation must be dimensionally consistent, hence it makes no sense to add acceleration x¨\ddot{x} with displacement xx. For this reason we non-dimensionalise the model whereby x¨\ddot{x} and xx becomes dimensionless and a parameter μ\mu pops out in the equation. But the interpretation of each term remains the same in a sense.

Quick Reply

Latest