The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, I've only recently thought about management consultancy as a career. I don't have any business work experience (yet) although I do have a whole load of law stuff I could put a consulting spin on. I don't know enough about management consultancy to try and apply for any of the graduate schemes starting next year so am planning on taking a year out after I graduate and applying for 2014 entry. I'm just about to go into my third year of law at cambridge and I should graduate with a 2:1 (hopefully).

It's been suggested that instead of this I could try and do a business masters however I don't really want to spend another year or two studying (and it would be a lot of money too).

I'm planning on applying to the insight day (open days) the big four run. Has anyone been to these before? were they helpful?

and are there any other consultancy firms I should be looking at? and is there any general advice on getting work experience at this stage (as I've left it abit late for summer internships).

Also I only have maths to gcse level and am very out of practice with it. Will that be a problem?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cassie218
Hi all, I've only recently thought about management consultancy as a career. I don't have any business work experience (yet) although I do have a whole load of law stuff I could put a consulting spin on. I don't know enough about management consultancy to try and apply for any of the graduate schemes starting next year so am planning on taking a year out after I graduate and applying for 2014 entry. I'm just about to go into my third year of law at cambridge and I should graduate with a 2:1 (hopefully).

It's been suggested that instead of this I could try and do a business masters however I don't really want to spend another year or two studying (and it would be a lot of money too).

I'm planning on applying to the insight day (open days) the big four run. Has anyone been to these before? were they helpful?

and are there any other consultancy firms I should be looking at? and is there any general advice on getting work experience at this stage (as I've left it abit late for summer internships).

Also I only have maths to gcse level and am very out of practice with it. Will that be a problem?

I think you should apply for the 2013 grad schemes. The insight days don't mean much and won't really help. You could try apply for internships instead though, I guess.

Why don't you want to apply for 2013 schemes?
Original post by hassi94
I think you should apply for the 2013 grad schemes. The insight days don't mean much and won't really help. You could try apply for internships instead though, I guess.

Why don't you want to apply for 2013 schemes?

Because I'm not really sure I want to go into it so wanted an internship/some work experience first to see what's involved.

I'm pretty sure I've missed all the 2013 internship applications though.
Because I'm not really sure I want to go into it so wanted an internship/some work experience first to see what's involved.

Not sure if you're talking about something else here, but apps for Summer 2013 banking internships have just opened.

I'm pretty sure they've only just opened applications for 2013 internships!
Original post by Zweihander
Not sure if you're talking about something else here, but apps for Summer 2013 banking internships have just opened.

She was talking about consulting actually but I think the same applies, they've only just open or are yet to.
Original post by hassi94
She was talking about consulting actually but I think the same applies, they've only just open or are yet to.

Yep I was talking about consulting. And that's good at least, I'm not sure where I got the idea that they were all full from. Maybe its the graduate schemes that are full already.

Which firms should I be looking at applying to? I've only heard of the top 6 so I'm guessing there's more to it than that. I also need firms which will accept final year students on their internship schemes (which narrows the selection from those 6 at least).
Reply 2647
Original post by will2348
Probably got dislikes because you probably have a better than average shot at IB. Great GCSEs are perfect and you have good subjects at A-Level that they will like so just stick with that. Maybe take Economics instead of going all out on Science? Try and get involved with Student Union as a president or treasurer or something if your college do that or do some extra-curricular that is either highly relevant such as an investment society or very athletic demonstrating team-work. Try and get on some insight programmes at Investment Banks or some experience and you'll be flying. And make sure you go for the top uni's :smile:

Thank you very much for the feedback :smile:

I'll try and tailor my ECs to reflect my interest for IB, and hopefully grab a few work opportunities near that field :smile:
Yep I was talking about consulting. And that's good at least, I'm not sure where I got the idea that they were all full from. Maybe its the graduate schemes that are full already.

Which firms should I be looking at applying to? I've only heard of the top 6 so I'm guessing there's more to it than that. I also need firms which will accept final year students on their internship schemes (which narrows the selection from those 6 at least).

Erm well there are a few but I don't know of that many either.

Big 4, Mckinsey, BCG (don't think Bain do internships), Greenhill, Centerview. I don't know of any more that do internships but they'll exist - do some Googling :smile:
Original post by hassi94
Erm well there are a few but I don't know of that many either.

Big 4, Mckinsey, BCG (don't think Bain do internships), Greenhill, Centerview. I don't know of any more that do internships but they'll exist - do some Googling :smile:

Thanks for your help :smile:

EDIT: Should have done this first but if you can raven login to the university careers service they have a big section on consultancy with a list of firms. There's also a consultancy fair on the 9th October and the careers centre on mill lane. (You might have known this already though)
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for your help :smile:

EDIT: Should have done this first but if you can raven login to the university careers service they have a big section on consultancy with a list of firms. There's also a consultancy fair on the 9th October and the careers centre on mill lane. (You might have known this already though)

Thanks I'll have a look when I get my login name etc. :smile:

And I know about the fair, I'll be there :tongue: :smile:
Hi guys, just wanted to ask if there was a decent chance of me getting into some mid-level consultancies, for strategy, especially as an internship next summer.

Degree: History

University: KCL
Year 1 Results: High 2:1
Graduation: 2014
A Levels: A*A*Aa
GCSEs: 9 A*, 2 A (French, Drama)

Work Experience: 1 year as a buyer (part time during the year and 2 full summers) at an online flash sales business run by three boutique consultancy alums - growing from 4 employees (them and me) when I joined, to 20, in the past year.
Run my own recruitment company online for 6 months - not gone too well, but hopefully gives some experience.
Starting a company importing Sri Lankan tea to the UK in the next month or so.
Taught SCUBA diving in Egypt (self funded) for 9 months.

ECs: Treasurer of the poker society (I know, I know massive responsibility), Social Sec of Visual Arts Society

I think I'm alright, but I don't know if it's worth hitting the McK, Bain, BCG etc. not being from a massively targeted school. I would love to work at Kurt Salmon and OC&C, but they look to be a bit competitive too. I don't want this to come across as desperate or anything, just curious.
Reply 2652
Uni: UCL
Degree: BSc Mathematics
Year: rising 2nd year
Extra-curricular (at uni) : Maths Soc (President; all students in the dept are members)
Investment Soc (Secretary)
Etc: Top of the year in mid-sessionals
6th in finals (90 av.)

*Went to Oxford for a year, reading maths. Withdrawn for medical reasons (and hence failing the exams, obv.)
I'm really not confident about myself because of how I failed at Oxford and how this could make me look in the HR guys' eyes.
Opinions?
Original post by Now:D
Uni: UCL
Degree: BSc Mathematics
Year: rising 2nd year
Extra-curricular (at uni) : Maths Soc (President; all students in the dept are members)
Investment Soc (Secretary)
Etc: Top of the year in mid-sessionals
6th in finals (90 av.)

*Went to Oxford for a year, reading maths. Withdrawn for medical reasons (and hence failing the exams, obv.)
I'm really not confident about myself because of how I failed at Oxford and how this could make me look in the HR guys' eyes.
Opinions?

Should be fine if its medical reasons, or just don't tell them.
Reply 2654
Hi, so I haven't started university yet (going in a week or so), just wondered what people thought about my chances. I haven't fully looked into investment banking properly, as I'm only really beginning to think about careers, but just wanted to know if it was worth considering (I'm unsure what's open to me due to my degree choice), and what I could do to further my chances.

A-levels: 4A*s (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, French)

Degree (just going into first year): Modern and Medieval Languages

Uni: Cambridge

... and that's all I have so far. I realise the university shouldn't be a problem, but wondered which areas would be possible, and what I need to do to prepare for applications/get further insight during my time at university!

edit: Unsure as to why I've been negged, genuine question guys haha! Didn't know if it was possible with a languages degree...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by butyh
Hi, so I haven't started university yet (going in a week or so), just wondered what people thought about my chances. I haven't fully looked into investment banking properly, as I'm only really beginning to think about careers, but just wanted to know if it was worth considering (I'm unsure what's open to me due to my degree choice), and what I could do to further my chances.

A-levels: 4A*s (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, French)

Degree (just going into first year): Modern and Medieval Languages

Uni: Cambridge

... and that's all I have so far. I realise the university shouldn't be a problem, but wondered which areas would be possible, and what I need to do to prepare for applications/get further insight during my time at university!

Actually not sure, maybe for M&A roles but most others generally require a quantitive degree. You would probably have to prove to them somehow through other activities that you can handle figures and think analytically.

Have you looked at consulting? You would probably walk into that, especially with a language to offer as well.
Reply 2656
Original post by Troll the Trolls
Actually not sure, maybe for M&A roles but most others generally require a quantitive degree. You would probably have to prove to them somehow through other activities that you can handle figures and think analytically.

Have you looked at consulting? You would probably walk into that, especially with a language to offer as well.

Thanks for the reply! :smile:

Genuinely not sure why I got so many neg reps for my post, was I asking a stupid question or something? :/

Anyway, okay, would you be able to point me in the direction of a site or something where I could read up on the different career paths, and what kind of experience/internships are desirable?

Yeah I was thinking about consulting too but again I guess I need to get a deeper insight into what it involves...
Reply 2657
Was looking into graduate consultancy, just wanted some more views

Uni: University of Southampton - Bsc Economics (on course for a 1st hopefully)
Experiences/Activities - No relevant one's which I fear may hold me back. I've worked at a restaurant and at ASDA. I'm part of a mentoring scheme at uni to help first years. I ran/managed a football team last year (organised training/matches/socials etc). I play quite a lot of team sports.

Any point in applying?
Original post by Deshi
Was looking into graduate consultancy, just wanted some more views

Uni: University of Southampton - Bsc Economics (on course for a 1st hopefully)
Experiences/Activities - No relevant one's which I fear may hold me back. I've worked at a restaurant and at ASDA. I'm part of a mentoring scheme at uni to help first years. I ran/managed a football team last year (organised training/matches/socials etc). I play quite a lot of team sports.

Any point in applying?

Try and get an internship for next summer, and work a bit more because you can pretty much relate anything to consultancy in your CV.

Yes, there is point in applying , lots on here will tell you there isn't because your not in a top uni but thats not true.
Reply 2659
Original post by Troll the Trolls
Try and get an internship for next summer, and work a bit more because you can pretty much relate anything to consultancy in your CV.

Yes, there is point in applying , lots on here will tell you there isn't because your not in a top uni but thats not true.

I've actually talked to quite a few people on here and quite a few have similar work experience and have got through to the interview stages, so I will be applying to the grad schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending