The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Joiner
How competitive do you guys think IB will be in 5 years time?

Jobs in IB are predicted to increase 11% by 2020 but do you think that will make ib an 'easier' field to get into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

jobs, bonuses, everything was rising nicely in the 2000s up till 08. we will never know what the world market will do next, predictions in the case of ib jobs are futile
ABB at a levels in economics, physics, maths. Accepted into university of edinburgh econ/finance degree. Currently serving two years national service. Chances to get in to IB and specifically equity research?
Original post by ahmedst3
ABB at a levels in economics, physics, maths. Accepted into university of edinburgh econ/finance degree. Currently serving two years national service. Chances to get in to IB and specifically equity research?

Below average grades (for the most part), semi-target however. Chances will depend on the rest of your profile/competencies/skills/outside experience. Your profile may just about get you into some interviews. From them on out, it's up to you to convert!
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Below average grades (for the most part), semi-target however. Chances will depend on the rest of your profile/competencies/skills/outside experience. Your profile may just about get you into some interviews. From them on out, it's up to you to convert!

Assuming the outside experience is there, how much better would my chances be with an Msc from a target such as LSE, UCL?
Original post by ahmedst3
Assuming the outside experience is there, how much better would my chances be with an Msc from a target such as LSE, UCL?

Marginally better, not as much as many people would think.
Is it likely that you'll get targeted by an IB if you're studying accounting and finance at a target?

How do they see AccFin in relation to Econ I'm guessing not as good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I am currently in year 12, and I am looking into careers in finance and more specifically IB.

My state school has been recently providing me with lots of opportunities including a program with Barclays where I will meet lots of people in the industry as well as mentor who I will work with for the rest of the year. The mentor, I believe, is working/has worked in finance (maybe IB??).

My issue is, I fear I may not be utilising these resources to the fullest, as I'm not sure what networking consists of exactly.

How should I approach these people as I don't want these opportunities to simply pass me by ?

I'm really motivated to get into this industry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Marginally better, not as much as many people would think.

Why not so much, if i can ask you?
This is my best understanding. At targets you can study anything and your chances of getting a first round (if you write your CV well) are the highest.

At other Russell Group and prestigious Unis, you can still get a first round, but your chances are higher if you study a related subject (Econ, Finance etc.) and you need some good extra-curriculars and work experience as well. Your chances still won't be as high as the first line.

Any other Uni and you'd need either a) a kick-ass CV (i.e. you've done some incredible things that demonstrate your aptitude) or b) a recommendation to HR from someone. The latter means networking a lot.

Networking is by far the most successful way to get a first round, so it should be done no matter what Uni you go to. Get yourself to events and contact Alumni of your Uni and secondary school. Point is, if you're smart enough, you can get in one way or another. At the end of the day, if someone tells you that you can't and you take it, you're probably not suited for the recruitment process/job anyway. You should be thinking "what do I need to do to get into a Master's programme at a top Uni?".

My 2 cents.
I'm considering a degree in Chemistry from Warwick, would I be desirable to any IB firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quantitive
I'm considering a degree in Chemistry from Warwick, would I be desirable to any IB firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick is a target, it would be fine.

Your uni alone however does nothing to your application.
Hello all. I've been lucky enough to receive offers to read PPE at both Warwick and UCL. Generally, out of these two, which is better when searching for a job in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ooftar
Hello all. I've been lucky enough to receive offers to read PPE at both Warwick and UCL. Generally, out of these two, which is better when searching for a job in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really doesn't matter. Choose which you like, do things to set yourself apart and apply.

You should already know that those two are target unis, choosing which one places better is just being foolish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ooftar

Posted from TSR Mobile

the one which makes you feel more passionate so that you will strive to pursue extra curriculars. simply that.
Original post by ooftar
Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL.
Original post by MrBowcat
UCL.

warwick probably gets double the number of ucl students into ib, reasoning for ucl?
Original post by welcometoib
warwick probably gets double the number of ucl students into ib, reasoning for ucl?

When this individual was asking about jobs in IB, I assume he means front office jobs, the infamous big money M&A and Sales & Trading. Warwick gets a lot of students into IB, but not many into front office, mainly middle and back office (risk management, HR, IT etc). UCL may get less into in IB in absolute terms, but it does get more into front office.
However, with with any uni outside Oxbridge/LSE, there is far far far more emphasis on the individual themselves, than their university, their profile on the whole has to be much stronger than that of person from Oxbridge/LSE.
When this individual was asking about jobs in IB, I assume he means front office jobs, the infamous big money M&A and Sales & Trading. Warwick gets a lot of students into IB, but not many into front office, mainly middle and back office (risk management, HR, IT etc). UCL may get less into in IB in absolute terms, but it does get more into front office.
However, with with any uni outside Oxbridge/LSE, there is far far far more emphasis on the individual themselves, than their university, their profile on the whole has to be much stronger than that of person from Oxbridge/LSE.

Wow, look at all of those years of experience you have in IB! I mean, how could ANYONE doubt what you say?

Truly, you grace us with your presence MD Bowcat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i give up. how many times have i met someone like you on this forum, once again, talking crap? i know one warwick student doing a non fo internship or ft role at an ib firm, thats it. age and uni? if you say youre sixth form then piss off/kill yourself, ive wasted time with tens like you on this forum, fail.
Original post by Princepieman
Wow, look at all of those years of experience you have in IB! I mean, how could ANYONE doubt what you say?

Truly, you grace us with your presence MD Bowcat.
Posted from TSR Mobile

You understand the concept of sarcasm, how original and refreshing.

I was simply answering the question based on my knowledge gathered from friends and family members who have been working in IB for 10+ years, and from students and tutors at the aforementioned universities.

So, if you don't have any productive or helpful input, please return to your cave.

P.S. It's Mr Bowcat, I'm not a Managing Director... yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending