The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomallen98
I’m not speaking about levels here, I’m going with what I’ve been told - private wealth management is FO right?

yeah, if it's legitimate fee-only PWM or PB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
very inaccurate, that'd apply more to BBs than anything. GS/JPM have taken people from DMU/Coventry/Oxford Brookes etc before in legit FO roles

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wall Street oasis doing me over then lol.
We have different opinions here - I’m saying they’re working IN the front office, and I was also told a junior client advisor is FO.

It's not a matter of opinion. You are wrong.
Original post by rhaegar459

Not really? I was showing that some apprentices work in the FO, WITH the traders etc. Not that they are in revenue generating roles.
Not really? I was showing that some apprentices work in the FO, WITH the traders etc. Not that they are in revenue generating roles.

Just shut up lol, you're just an arrogant idiot

tbf, trading assistant is a decent entry level gig.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just shut up lol, you're just an arrogant idiot

Your name is rhaegar, get in the bin
tbf, trading assistant is a decent entry level gig.

Posted from TSR Mobile

not much growth opportunity though, doubt you'd even stay at the bank for long. I guess perspective matters, and relative to FO its nothing
not much growth opportunity though, doubt you'd even stay at the bank for long. I guess perspective matters, and relative to FO its nothing

i mean.. people who come in through the grad scheme are still assistants for like 1-3 years so can't be that bad.
This is true for trading/structuring but not sales. Sales is actually a growth area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So in general you agree that S&T is harder to break into than IBD?
Original post by Terry Tibbs
So in general you agree that S&T is harder to break into than IBD?

It's harder to get a conversion offer but not harder to "break in".

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's harder to get a conversion offer but not harder to "break in".

Posted from TSR Mobile
With less analyst positions surely it's comparatively more competitive?
GCSE: A*A*A*AAABBD
Predicted A Level results: A*AA (MATHS,CHEMISTRY AND ECONOMICS)
Work experience: 1 week at UBS Investment Bank (front office)
Ideal Uni: Accounting and Finance at LSE OR KCL
Other:
-Won teen tech awards
-Been to a prestigious 5 week summer school in the US on scholarship

What else can I do to improve my chances of getting into IB?
Original post by Daanyaaly
GCSE: A*A*A*AAABBD
Predicted A Level results: A*AA (MATHS,CHEMISTRY AND ECONOMICS)
Work experience: 1 week at UBS Investment Bank (front office)
Ideal Uni: Accounting and Finance at LSE OR KCL
Other:
-Won teen tech awards
-Been to a prestigious 5 week summer school in the US on scholarship

What else can I do to improve my chances of getting into IB?

are you a robot?

i see a cv the first thing i ask is "do i want to sit next to this guy for 15 hrs a day" - what are your hobbies, what makes you interesting?

that being said, it depends on whose reviewing. that's where luck comes in, someone else might just look at your uni, someone else may look at your work experience, someone else may just throw it in the bin (most ppl actually)
During a stint in the armed forces, I got sick and medically discharged. Afterwards I did attempt to study for A Levels but got sick again with the same related issues. Have been working in sales since. It's not bad, considering I'm not a grad - approx £45k a year working 50-60 hours a week. First place on the commission leaderboard consistency each month.

Probably going to study for A Levels again soon. Part time, given I have to consider living expenses now. Presumably, Maths, Further maths and Economics would make most sense if going in the direction of finance, especially if self-studying.

I wonder if they (ominous 'them' being those in charge of recruitments) will consider the sales experience and army service a positive. Certainly took the long route around but hopefully they'll think I developed skills and habits that would be useful.
Original post by Athematica
During a stint in the armed forces, I got sick and medically discharged. Afterwards I did attempt to study for A Levels but got sick again with the same related issues. Have been working in sales since. It's not bad, considering I'm not a grad - approx £45k a year working 50-60 hours a week. First place on the commission leaderboard consistency each month.

Probably going to study for A Levels again soon. Part time, given I have to consider living expenses now. Presumably, Maths, Further maths and Economics would make most sense if going in the direction of finance, especially if self-studying.

I wonder if they (ominous 'them' being those in charge of recruitments) will consider the sales experience and army service a positive. Certainly took the long route around but hopefully they'll think I developed skills and habits that would be useful.

don't see any issues.. plenty of ex-forces people in finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully the sales experience is met well rather than with snickers and eyebrows. I'm uncertain of the culture of these more prestigious places. I've been a rowdy squaddie and a cheeky salesman. Hopefully they see the good sides in that I've experienced living 24/7 with a group of dudes in a high pressure environment and know how to be a laugh in it while still meeting objectives
GCSE: 8A* 2A
A Levels: AAB (Bio, Econ and Chem) + A in EPQ + B( Maths AS) + Gold award LAMDA
University: Non target Russel group
Course: Accountancy

Experience: 1 year customer service during Gap year(call centre)
2 years (and counting) Big 4 Bank audit (School leaver programme). Worked on other projects like IFRS 9 implementation and audit tenders

Volunteering: Work with a charity that helps ex offenders/disadvantaged people seek employment

Sport: Inter mural tennis at Uni. can't do much here as I hardly spend much time at Uni (same for finance/investment societies)

Looking to apply for IBD grad schemes next year. M&A looks appealing owing to the accounting overlap. Will have no summers/springs when I apply.

Thoughts on profile? Good shot for tier 1? anything I could do to strengthen it?
:
(edited 5 years ago)
Thread is awfully quiet considering that it’s results day 😮

Who’s one step closer to their hopeful IB career then? Anyone?
what do you guys and girls thing is better do a econ and maths degree at royal holloway, then after a masters in finance hopefully at LSE , or a foundation year at manchester for computer science, a target university and a pretty mathsy course and try to get into IB from there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending