The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

flugestuge
This is a direct result of the low quality of the engineering intake at most UK universities.

What a load of nonsense. A bad result on an A level can be turned around at university with enough effort and application, and good results at A levels don't always translate to good grades at university.
in my eyes this thread is a load of bull, don't see how any of you have the right to tell people they're not good enough for investment banking. JUST DO IT!
Focus08
Bottom line, I hate to burst your bubble: You will never be an investment banker

Focus, you definately have the levels of arrogance and selfpride to be an investment banker... goodluck
Reply 1503
^ Investment bankers aren't the only ones who are arrogant in the City :rolleyes:
Reply 1504
WokSz
^ Investment bankers aren't the only ones who are arrogant in the City :rolleyes:

He never said they were?:confused:
Besides, how many bankers have you even spoke to to come to such sweeping conclusions? (the guy above)
Reply 1505
Haz313
He never said they were?:confused:
Besides, how many bankers have you even spoke to to come to such sweeping conclusions? (the guy above)

Quite a few :smile:.
Reply 1506
WokSz
Quite a few :smile:.

In that case, still pretty silly/naive of you to be basing your opinion of a whole profession on the actions of a few.
Reply 1507
Haz313
In that case, still pretty silly/naive of you to be basing your opinion of a whole profession on the actions of a few.

I suggest you re-read my post and think carefully about what it means.
Reply 1508
WokSz
I suggest you re-read my post and think carefully about what it means.

I suggest you re-read my question, and think carefully about if it was even aimed at you
don't really wanna be an investment banker, but it would be nice to see what my chances are.
My GCSE's are A*A*BBBBBBCD.
A level predicted: AAB in business studies, ict and english literature.
going to study economics at aston university in september 2010.
got a temp job in lloyds tsb and have experience in working in accounting firms.
can speak 4 languages fluently and quite a bit of german and french.

please quote me if you are going to reply. :smile:
pavrotte
this is what's letting you down...
otherwise, maybe if you tried hard enough

i'm guessing it's the uni rather then the course.
i don't understand, is aston really that bad? their asking for high enough grades.
pavrotte
this is what's letting you down...

:ditto:
Perhaps he can transfer at the end of the first year.
Warwick, UCL or LSE would be far better for IB.
Reply 1512
TheProdigy2k9
i'm guessing it's the uni rather then the course.
i don't understand, is aston really that bad? their asking for high enough grades.

Its not a terrible issue. Work hard and more importantly work smart, get involved, build up some good ECs, get as much knowledge in finance as possible, try for internships and strongly consider doing a masters at a target university.
A first or high 2:1 should get you into one of the top 6.

Edit: Just took a look at your other post and to be frank your A levels are well...far from ideal. However you do have ability to speak four languages fluently which makes you a useful asset. If you think you could handle learning another language (Japanese or Mandharin maybe?) or a language of one of the emerging economies (stating this as the reason of course) then Id suggest you go for it.
Daui
Its not a terrible issue. Work hard and more importantly work smart, get involved, build up some good ECs, get as much knowledge in finance as possible, try for internships and strongly consider doing a masters at a target university.
A first or high 2:1 should get you into one of the top 6.

Edit: Just took a look at your other post and to be frank your A levels are well...far from ideal. However you do have ability to speak four languages fluently which makes you a useful asset. If you think you could handle learning another language (Japanese or Mandharin maybe?) or a language of one of the emerging economies (stating this as the reason of course) then Id suggest you go for it.

i know, i'm slightly thinking about taking a year out and then taking a level maths. and then applying to places like warwick and lse. i was going to go for a first anyway at aston and then do a msc in economics or finance at a different uni like warwick or lse lol. when you say ECs, what do you mean. i mean how will that help me?
Reply 1514
TheProdigy2k9
i know, i'm slightly thinking about taking a year out and then taking a level maths. and then applying to places like warwick and lse. i was going to go for a first anyway at aston and then do a msc in economics or finance at a different uni like warwick or lse lol. when you say ECs, what do you mean. i mean how will that help me?

Extracurriculars: Join the Finance society, the Economics society, the football team, etc. All those things that make you look like a disciplined and committed but well rounded individual with a keen interest in finance. IBs don't just want booksmart robots.
Daui
Extracurriculars: Join the Finance society, the Economics society, the football team, etc. All those things that make you look like a disciplined and committed but well rounded individual with a keen interest in finance. IBs don't just want booksmart robots.

ohh ok, i get ya. i already play cricket for a team. but yeah, i will do stuff like that. i know my chances are slim but it would be nice to try and see how far i get :biggrin:
Reply 1516
TheProdigy2k9
ohh ok, i get ya. i already play cricket for a team. but yeah, i will do stuff like that. i know my chances are slim but it would be nice to try and see how far i get :biggrin:

Try and get onto Society committees. It looks good on your CV / application.
Reply 1517
Think I might as well give this a go:

GCSE:5A*s/6As
AS: 4A's : English, Philosophy, Economics, Maths

Currently sitting my A-Level exams. I am going to take a gap year and partake in the Deloitte Scholars Scheme.

Have got a deferred place in Warwick to study PPE, so grades permitting, will do this after the gap year.

I can imagine that judgements at this stage are probably quite arbitrary, but can anyone give any advice/guidance?
Reply 1518
dodgyant
Think I might as well give this a go:

GCSE:5A*s/6As
AS: 4A's : English, Philosophy, Economics, Maths

Currently sitting my A-Level exams. I am going to take a gap year and partake in the Deloitte Scholars Scheme.

Have got a deferred place in Warwick to study PPE, so grades permitting, will do this after the gap year.

I can imagine that judgements at this stage are probably quite arbitrary, but can anyone give any advice/guidance?

Looks good. Make sure to apply for Spring weeks and partake in societies when you get to Warwick.
Reply 1519
WokSz
Looks good. Make sure to apply for Spring weeks and partake in societies when you get to Warwick.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. Will have to manage it with my Deloitte Scholar obligations though. Speaking of that, how important do you think it will be in differentiating me from other candidates?

And, are there any chance of getting spring interns during a gap year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending