The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ramadulla
I don't think that is even a word :biggrin:.

Lol. I know. When I did an impression in front of an Arab, I don't think they were very pleased... I don't know how Urdu and Arabic can sound so different! ...Maybe they have a different syntax! :yep:
Sk1lLz
Lol. I know. When I did an impression in front of an Arab, I don't think they were very pleased... I don't know how Urdu and Arabic can sound so different! ...Maybe they have a different syntax! :yep:

Yes, lol. They're completely different languages derived from completely different place you know :p:.
Reply 42
Ramadulla
Yes, lol. They're completely different languages derived from completely different place you know :p:.

Urdu is a mix of Arabic and Persian. I reckon Arabic would be easier for me to learn if I knew Urdu, properly.
Sk1lLz
Urdu is a mix of Arabic and Persian. I reckon Arabic would be easier for me to learn if I knew Urdu, properly.

Hmm yeah since it's the same pronunciation when things are read. But still, completely different meanings.
Reply 44
Ramadulla
Hmm yeah since it's the same pronunciation when things are read. But still, completely different meanings.

It's wierd how many Arabs know Urdu you know.... So, when are you teaching me Arabic then? :p:
Sk1lLz
It's wierd how many Arabs know Urdu you know.... So, when are you teaching me Arabic then? :p:

It depends, but I'm no expert :p:. I've not been learning Arabic ever since I was, like, 10. But yeah, i suppose.
v1oXx-
If someone is an A* standard in a modern language, how would their speaking/writing skills compare to a native Frenchman for example.

an A* at a language at GCSE is a waste of time in that respect unless you use it carry the language on to A level. And even then when you finish your A level, I dont think you could compare an A grade A Level student with a native Frenchman, there would be a huge difference.
OMG!!!
My school lets us only do one language, either French or Gujarati (an Indian language) as most students are Indian. So, most people do french in school and for those Indians who really want to learn Gujarati learn it after school.

Everyone is always shouting about doing French at school and think that languages are useless and we only do one language. You ppl on this forum do lyk 4/5 languages. If i told some at my school, they would faint...we die/get bored/cry at our school for doing 1 language.

PS. I'm Indian and done Gujarati outside school 2!! (born here and know English fluently!!)
Reply 48
My friend is doing Latin, Greek, English, French, Spanish, German AS.
Reply 49
I do Spanish, French and Latin.. I want to carry Latin on as a AS Level as well. Btw, this is at a language college too.
Reply 50
I did three modern languages (French, German and Russian) and a dead one (latin). I'm also billingual.
Wow, innit a bit mad doing 3?

I did 2 for GCSE, 2 for an award thingy. Couldn't cope with it. Far too much. Now my french is shot down by italian (which I hate) because I haven't done french for a year. Good luck!
Reply 52
wilbsz
I did three modern languages (French, German and Russian) and a dead one (latin). I'm also billingual.

I woulda done latin too but they wouldn't allow it (and you were forced to do a technology) - it's so annoying cos I asked if I could drop tech and do latin and I find out two years later it's now possible to drop tech and do latin...grrr
Reply 53
Ramadulla
"You cannot handle learning more than 2 languages simultaneously; it will put you off revising for your other subjects." Words I can remember from my Head of Year... :rolleyes:.

That's not the same as saying "you can't do French because you're Asian". It's actually quite sensible advice in my opinion. I did two foreign languages to GCSE at the same time (French and German) and got confused between the two sometimes even though they're not that similar!
Reply 54
I want to take Arabic and Spanish. But I think I might have to take German (which isn't that bad but not my preference)
I do French, Spanish and a dead language - Latin. French and Spanish I can do. I love Latin but I'm really not very good at it. :frown:
willowtree
I took French, Italian, Japanese and Latin.

it was wicked.

would have done spanish too but they messed up my timetable.

I think about 3 people in my year took French, German, Italian, Japanese and Latin. I was *jealous*. (we go to a "language college")

I plan to continue French and Japanese to AS this year and possibly to pick up Spanish again in my second year.

same! But for my year only choices were french, german and spanish, now they get to do all the ones you said and chinese. I'm doing French and German, and carrying them on at AS, I've also done Italian GCSE for the past few months and I would do it at AS if I could find anywhere to do it. And at college I'm hoping to do GCSEs in Spanish, Latin, Japanese or Chinese, depends what fits in my timetable. But I think a better way of learning languages than doing GCSEs is just go to the country and practice.

I'm sure I've posted about this before but oh well, I love my languages I doo :yep:

Latest