The Student Room Group

degree

what degree can i study with alevel sociology, btech buisness diploma and extended and AS level maths
i would like to preferably have a buisness finance career possibly involving economics if that’s possible?
Original post by student21111
what degree can i study with alevel sociology, btech buisness diploma and extended and AS level maths
i would like to preferably have a buisness finance career possibly involving economics if that’s possible?

Your list of qualifications is confusing. Are there three qualifications in your list? Are they:

1. "alevel sociology"
2. "btech buisness diploma and extended"
3. "AS level maths"

Does "btech buisness diploma and extended" mean "BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Business"? Or does it mean "BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business"? In which case, where does the "and extended" fit in?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Your list of qualifications is confusing. Are there three qualifications in your list? Are they:

Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia

1. "alevel sociology"
2. "btech buisness diploma and extended"
3. "AS level maths"

Does "btech buisness diploma and extended" mean "BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Business"? Or does it mean "BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business"? In which case, where does the "and extended" fit in?

i had to pick 4 subjects so diploma and extended are separate
Original post by student21111
i had to pick 4 subjects so diploma and extended are separate

OK. So it sounds to me like you did (or are still doing) the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business. This worth the equivalent of 2 A levels, and is designed to be taught over 2 years. The units you'll have completed at the end of the first year are sufficient to earn you the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Business, which is I suspect is why you've mentioned that qualification too. As a result, the Extended Certificate is going to be ignored by universities, as it's really just part of your Diploma.

Given that you would like to "have a buisness finance career possibly involving economics", we're going to be looking for a business / finance / economics degree where the entry requirements can be met via a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Business and an A level in Sociology. If they need evidence of maths knowledge, then you can use your AS level in Maths, although this is unlikely to play a significant role in terms of entry requirements.

One option would be Economics at the University of Manchester. They have two "pure" Economics degrees, one which is very maths heavy (and for which your qualifications would not meet their requirements) and one which is not. The second one, for which the award is a BA(Econ), contains the following in its entry requirements (here):

"The School accepts Pearson BTEC Level 3 qualifications for entry as long as it is in a relevant subject and taken alongside A-levels. The A-level you are taking must be included in the list of subjects found in the A-level entry requirements above.
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma - accepted with grades D*D in combination with an A-level at grade A in a different subject area to the diploma."

In terms of "the list of subjects found in the A-level entry requirements above" those are "Accounting, Anthropology, Business Studies, Classics, Economics, English Language/Literature, Further Mathematics, Geography, History, Law, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Use of Mathematics and World Development."

So your qualifications meet the entry requirements for the course. You'd need a D*D in the BTEC Diploma and an A in the A level. An economics degree from Manchester should help you in you goal for the career you aspire to.

Or perhaps you might prefer one of the business courses offered by University of Nottingham? They say here that they'd be looking for "BTEC Diploma in Business (only) accepted at grades DD plus A level grade A (not in Business) plus GCSE maths grade 6 (B) and GCSE English grade 4 (C) or higher."

Both of the above are looking for pretty might grades: DD or D*D in the BTEC and A in the A level. There are also the GCSE requirements. Are we in the right ball-park here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending