The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do you think of when you see a hijabi? (A girl wearing a headscarf) ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pszsd
Don't worry about it. I made a mistake, you made one. Apology wholly accepted. :biggrin:

Cool 👍
Nothing really, I just see her as another human being.
Not a lot, it was a fairly common sight living in Birmingham.
I feel nothing, it doesn’t make difference. Couldn’t care less
Reply 44
"Does she like whales?"
Usually not much. Sometimes try to work out how they've styled fastened /secured their hijab (just bc in a book I read where the main character was hijabi she mentioned it could be worn in different styles and how she'd fasten it with a brooch and flick the ends over her shoulder and I could never quite picture how that worked!).
Sometimes if it's summer and I'm in a vest top or something, wonder what they're thinking of me too.
Reply 46
Nothing, tbh
Original post by pszsd
Well I'm a Muslim so of course I'll be biased but: I see a strong person because it takes a lot of courage to where that in the UK with the current political climate. I mean, depending on your location, people with stare. Also depending on your location, some people might stab you. Therefore it's really brave and courageous to be wearing the hijab and being proud to be a Muslim female.

It also shows me modesty, that you're not flaunting your own body and that you aren't giving in to cultural expectations of women having to dress inappropriately. Strong words but what I basically mean is that nowadays, revealing clothing is too common. Really, what do leggings cover? Everything, and yet nothing.

Hope I helped. Thanks for giving an interesting question. G'day.

"skanks and whores and sluts". - this was part of the original message but later it was disputed and considered rude, so I felt to place it at the end here just to provide context to anyone following this thread further

Well as a Muslim you know those words were uncalled for cause you were probably taught to treat women with respect wether you feel she is modest or not modest at all
Original post by wasted100
Well as a Muslim you know those words were uncalled for cause you were probably taught to treat women with respect wether you feel she is modest or not modest at all

Yes.
Reply 49
Original post by Greywolftwo
Can’t you take the hijab of while at home? Isn’t it only meant to wear in public because the idea is that women aren’t allowed to show their beauty to others?

We can take it off at home :smile:
I see a human being
Original post by RM611
I just wanna know how people view hijabis

depending on the amount of makeup / way they walk and talk: either religious or fake / poser
Original post by ~Sara~
We can take it off at home :smile:

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification
Indoctrination and oppression
Original post by RM611
I just wanna know how people view hijabis

I wonder if it is one of my friends, since most of them wear hijabs.
Original post by pszsd
Well I'm a Muslim so of course I'll be biased but: I see a strong person because it takes a lot of courage to where that in the UK with the current political climate. I mean, depending on your location, people with stare. Also depending on your location, some people might stab you. Therefore it's really brave and courageous to be wearing the hijab and being proud to be a Muslim female.

It also shows me modesty, that you're not flaunting your own body and that you aren't giving in to cultural expectations of women having to dress inappropriately. Strong words but what I basically mean is that nowadays, revealing clothing is too common. Really, what do leggings cover? Everything, and yet nothing.

Hope I helped. Thanks for giving an interesting question. G'day.

"skanks and whores and sluts". - this was part of the original message but later it was disputed and considered rude, so I felt to place it at the end here just to provide context to anyone following this thread further

One of the reasons why I like to flaunt my body in skin tight clothing is because it gets right up the nose of judgemental, hateful religious conservatives like yourself.
Original post by Kitten in boots
One of the reasons why I like to flaunt my body in skin tight clothing is because it gets right up the nose of judgemental, hateful religious conservatives like yourself.

That's an interesting idea. However, please don't label me as anything political.. Thanks.

g'day.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 57
Indoctrination.
Whatever the claimed reason for wearing it, they all boil down to irrational dogma.
Reply 58
Original post by pszsd
Also depending on your location, some people might stab you. Therefore it's really brave and courageous to be wearing the hijab and being proud to be a Muslim female.

Where might wearing a hijab lead to being stabbed? Which studies have found this increased incidence?

It also shows me modesty, that you're not flaunting your own body and that you aren't giving in to cultural expectations of women having to dress like skanks and whores and sluts. Strong words but what I basically mean is that nowadays, revealing clothing is too common. Really, what do leggings cover? Everything, and yet nothing.

Strong words, and also bullshjt. Women are not expected to dress "like that". You have been mislead - presumably by the people trying to convince you that wearing a hijab is something meaningful rather than merely a symbol of irrational dogmatic indoctrination and social oppression.
Reply 59
Original post by pszsd
One cannot stop judging people by the clothes they wear because it is a subconscious act. You can't control your subconscious. Additionally, there is a degree of personal choice.

Maybe you can't, but most reasonable people doesn't judge people by their clothes.

However, I believe where both of us differ is in the *degree* of personal choice present. I believe the clothed one and the viewer both have a shared responsibility to not act (or dress) in a sexual manner.

Define "sexual manner".
Obviously, to you, any woman not wearing a hijab is "dressing in a sexual manner", which is clearly bonkers. The fact that you see all clothing through the prism of sexuality say more about the way your mind works than it does about the person wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

dressing in certain ways is not okay.

So what is "not okay"? Anything that you disagree with?
It's ironic that in the context of the hijab debate, it is often the hijabi who is more judgemental of other people's clothes than any one else, despite their initial claims.

Latest

Trending

Trending