The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Univeristy of Manchester(halls)

Hey can anyone who has visited or is currently at or has been to Manchester give me insight on these accommodations I am considering(IN NO particular order..YET):
-Unsworth Park
-Denmark Road
-Weston hall
-Liberty Park
Original post by abbeygyal23
Hey can anyone who has visited or is currently at or has been to Manchester give me insight on these accommodations I am considering(IN NO particular order..YET):
-Unsworth Park
-Denmark Road
-Weston hall
-Liberty Park

Dear Abbey

Thank you for your query.

Unsworth Park and Denmark Road are our most popular halls as they are the most modern, which is reflected within the cost. Closely followed by Liberty Park and Weston Hall due as all these halls providing Ensuite facilities. Please read further information on our website regarding facilities offered in each individual hall (some have gyms, bars and music rooms etc).

Weston Hall is a private hall of residence we lease rooms from and unfortunately, doesn't have a Wifi connection, however, we provide an Ethernet cable in order for you connect to the internet within your bedroom.

We are aware that you need internet for your studies, if you connect your internet wire to your laptop you can set up a personal hot spot to send out to other devices such as mobile phones and tablets. This is really easy and takes up to 5-10 minutes to be completed, you will get more information about this on arrival with your Residential Life team.

Please note Ethernet cables are provided in all halls.

I hope this assists with query.

Regards

Charlotte Mannion | Administrative
Assistant l Residential & Sports Services Division l Directorate for the
Student Experience l The University of Manchester l The Accommodation Office l

Grove House l 316 Oxford Road l Manchester l M13 9WJ l Tel
+ 44 (0)161 275 2888 l www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by UoM_Accommodation
Dear Abbey

Thank you for your query.

Unsworth Park and Denmark Road are our most popular halls as they are the most modern, which is reflected within the cost. Closely followed by Liberty Park and Weston Hall due as all these halls providing Ensuite facilities. Please read further information on our website regarding facilities offered in each individual hall (some have gyms, bars and music rooms etc).

Weston Hall is a private hall of residence we lease rooms from and unfortunately, doesn't have a Wifi connection, however, we provide an Ethernet cable in order for you connect to the internet within your bedroom.

We are aware that you need internet for your studies, if you connect your internet wire to your laptop you can set up a personal hot spot to send out to other devices such as mobile phones and tablets. This is really easy and takes up to 5-10 minutes to be completed, you will get more information about this on arrival with your Residential Life team.

Please note Ethernet cables are provided in all halls.

I hope this assists with query.

Regards

Charlotte Mannion | Administrative
Assistant l Residential & Sports Services Division l Directorate for the
Student Experience l The University of Manchester l The Accommodation Office l

Grove House l 316 Oxford Road l Manchester l M13 9WJ l Tel
+ 44 (0)161 275 2888 l www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk

Thank you very much for your reply.I was not aware Weston was a private hall and that some of the halls had the mentioned facilities I will definitely research these accommodations further.
While I admit I’ve never been inside any of these accommodations, looking at the list you’ve given I’d suggest that you have a look at the locations of these four halls you have chosen, as all four are in different places (Fallowfield, Main Campus, North Campus, Victoria Park respectively). Take a look at where these are compared to where you’ll be spending most of your time learning and consider what you’re willing to pay for transport (as both Fallowfield and North Campus are a reasonable distance away from main campus).

To add to the post of the above user, in fact Liberty Park and Denmark Road are also private halls that the uni has exclusive use of, although that shouldn’t really influence your decision making - it just means maintenance issues are dealt with the private company as opposed to the uni and you wouldn’t find any uni computer clusters in them.

From my own knowledge Unsworth and Denmark are the nicest two en-suite halls that the uni has to offer as they are the newest. This also means they’re also the most expensive unfortunately and also in high demand. But wherever you pick you’ll get a reasonable room and good facilities so it’s up to you to decide whether having a slightly bigger/nicer room is really worth the extra spend.

Hope this has given a bit more insight into them but honestly I’d go and check out the pages on the uni accommodation website for a facilities list (and if you read reviews I’d take them with a pinch of salt as everyone has their own personal experiences)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by queentoadstool
While I admit I’ve never been inside any of these accommodations, looking at the list you’ve given I’d suggest that you have a look at the locations of these four halls you have chosen, as all four are in different places (Fallowfield, Main Campus, North Campus, Victoria Park respectively). Take a look at where these are compared to where you’ll be spending most of your time learning and consider what you’re willing to pay for transport (as both Fallowfield and North Campus are a reasonable distance away from main campus).

To add to the post of the above user, in fact Liberty Park and Denmark Road are also private halls that the uni has exclusive use of, although that shouldn’t really influence your decision making - it just means maintenance issues are dealt with the private company as opposed to the uni and you wouldn’t find any uni computer clusters in them.

From my own knowledge Unsworth and Denmark are the nicest two en-suite halls that the uni has to offer as they are the newest. This also means they’re also the most expensive unfortunately and also in high demand. But wherever you pick you’ll get a reasonable room and good facilities so it’s up to you to decide whether having a slightly bigger/nicer room is really worth the extra spend.

Hope this has given a bit more insight into them but honestly I’d go and check out the pages on the uni accommodation website for a facilities list (and if you read reviews I’d take them with a pinch of salt as everyone has their own personal experiences)

Thank you, this has been very useful!!!!!I will definetley need to consider the distance between accommodation and where my lectures will be.Another thing is with Denmark road I’ve heard it’s not the most sociable and I feel as someone who tends to be quiet I should avoid this, so I’m defineltey leaning more towards Unsworth.
Original post by abbeygyal23
Thank you, this has been very useful!!!!!I will definetley need to consider the distance between accommodation and where my lectures will be.Another thing is with Denmark road I’ve heard it’s not the most sociable and I feel as someone who tends to be quiet I should avoid this, so I’m defineltey leaning more towards Unsworth.

If you’re looking for somewhere more social to try and help you get yourself out there I think Liberty Park and Weston could still be a good fit - Weston is right next to Factory, one the the more popular student nightclubs so if that’s something you’re interested in it’s worth considering, and I’ve known some people who have been in Liberty Park and it’s certainly not antisocial either and you’ll definitely get to know your flat mates really well. (I can’t say too much for Denmark Road but I’m in the private company’s other Manchester halls and yeah honestly it’s super quiet which is great for me, but definitely not so good for a first year looking to get them self out there a bit more)

It may be worth your time checking out the other en-suites in Fallowfield too - Richmond Park is nice and reasonably social as is Sheavyn House (probably a bit more social than Richmond). Maybe also take a look at Burkhardt House in Victoria Park - it’s adjoined with Hulme Hall and has a lot of social spaces and a really good bar and events.

Maybe I’ve said too much but Unsworth is super popular because it’s one of the few modern and fancy halls, so it’s good to know what else is out there!
Original post by queentoadstool
If you’re looking for somewhere more social to try and help you get yourself out there I think Liberty Park and Weston could still be a good fit - Weston is right next to Factory, one the the more popular student nightclubs so if that’s something you’re interested in it’s worth considering, and I’ve known some people who have been in Liberty Park and it’s certainly not antisocial either and you’ll definitely get to know your flat mates really well. (I can’t say too much for Denmark Road but I’m in the private company’s other Manchester halls and yeah honestly it’s super quiet which is great for me, but definitely not so good for a first year looking to get them self out there a bit more)

It may be worth your time checking out the other en-suites in Fallowfield too - Richmond Park is nice and reasonably social as is Sheavyn House (probably a bit more social than Richmond). Maybe also take a look at Burkhardt House in Victoria Park - it’s adjoined with Hulme Hall and has a lot of social spaces and a really good bar and events.

Maybe I’ve said too much but Unsworth is super popular because it’s one of the few modern and fancy halls, so it’s good to know what else is out there!

Thanks this is really helpful hopefully I can get a look around as I have an offer holder day soon and I’ve never been to Manchester let alone the Uni.I’ll consider your other hall suggestions as well because at first I was pretty set on the five mentioned without taking a look at everything else.
I'm considering accommodations as well,

Does anyone have any info on places in Fallowfield (in particular Richmond Park)

Looking for good social life, genuine and normal people, but I can still do work if I feel like it - not overly snobby think they're better than everyone else basically

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending