The Student Room Group

Gradient of curve

I haven't doen a paper in a while and now I can't do anything can some help me with this question? I appreciate any help i'll post the question below
Reply 1
image.jpg
which question?
Reply 3
Original post by Theloniouss
which question?

question 2
Do you know what a chord is?
Reply 5
Do you know what a chord is?

its a line from two points on a curve
Original post by A0W0N
its a line from two points on a curve

So how would you calculate its gradient?
Reply 7
So how would you calculate its gradient?

I'm not sure, the graph doesn't follow y=mx+c and theres two points so im confused
Original post by A0W0N
I'm not sure, the graph doesn't follow y=mx+c and theres two points so im confused

You need to draw a line (or if you don't have the graph pretend you have drawn a line) between the two points, and the calculate the gradient of the line. Use (y1-y2)/(x1-x2)
Reply 9
You need to draw a line (or if you don't have the graph pretend you have drawn a line) between the two points, and the calculate the gradient of the line. Use (y1-y2)/(x1-x2)

what do i do for ii)?
Original post by A0W0N
what do i do for ii)?

What do you think you should do?
Reply 11
What do you think you should do?

I'm not sure do i just sub 4 in?
Original post by A0W0N
I'm not sure do i just sub 4 in?

why would you do that?
Reply 13
why would you do that?

am i supposed to differentiate it somehow and then sub in x=4 or is that complety wrong?
Original post by A0W0N
am i supposed to differentiate it somehow and then sub in x=4 or is that complety wrong?

No, you're supposed to use a chord. You should use a chord that is shorter than the chord in part i), as this will give a better approximation for the gradient at x=4
Reply 15
No, you're supposed to use a chord. You should use a chord that is shorter than the chord in part i), as this will give a better approximation for the gradient at x=4

so could i use 4 and 4.05?
Original post by A0W0N
so could i use 4 and 4.05?

That would make sense
Reply 17
That would make sense

i don't want to keep asking but for question 3 the normal is the negative reciprocal of the gradient of the graph at a certain point how do i that? is it 8^4?
Original post by A0W0N
i don't want to keep asking but for question 3 the normal is the negative reciprocal of the gradient of the graph at a certain point how do i that? is it 8^4?

you differentiate the function to find the gradient and then calculate the negative reciprocal of the gradient. Using the negative reciprocal and the (x,y) coordinate, you can find the equation of the graph.

Quick Reply

Latest