The Student Room Group

A-level physics electricity

So we have finished most of AS and i am just recapping right now. I was wondering how i would explain emf, resistance, voltage in a series and parallel circuit and current in a parallel circuit using the central heating model of electricity

I have done current, resistance would be how the water is able to flow through the radiator but i was wondering how to explain the others

Many thanks,
Original post by CurryCurry2468
So we have finished most of AS and i am just recapping right now. I was wondering how i would explain emf, resistance, voltage in a series and parallel circuit and current in a parallel circuit using the central heating model of electricity

I have done current, resistance would be how the water is able to flow through the radiator but i was wondering how to explain the others

Many thanks,

I hope that you definition for current is just a vague analogy!
Add the thermostat and LDR and all you're asking is two chapters long explanation. If it is not very clear to you what, p.d. and e.m.f is, then you definitely need to build from there, start again you've got plenty of time.
Original post by ThiagoBrigido
I hope that you definition for current is just a vague analogy!
Add the thermostat and LDR and all you're asking is two chapters long explanation. If it is not very clear to you what, p.d. and e.m.f is, then you definitely need to build from there, start again you've got plenty of time.

Hi there,
I have done the analogy for emf and resistance.
I am just wondering how to explain voltage and current in parallel circuits and current in series circuit

Many thanks,

Hi there,
I have done the analogy for emf and resistance.
I am just wondering how to explain voltage and current in parallel circuits and current in series circuit

The following website may help:
http://pfnicholls.com/Electronics/currentandvoltage.html

But a word of warning as mention in the opening paragraph of the website.
When using analogies it is important to consider the limitations of each analogy to avoid misunderstanding.

I would add to the warning is “Analogies do not explain the physics and beware that it can give you a false feeling of understanding.”

EMF / Voltage is the pressure difference that drives the flow (current) of water. The pressure across branches in parallel is the same, but the flow (current) will vary with the relative resistance of the paths. In series, you have the same flow through all the components, but the pressure required across each will vary with its resistance.

Quick Reply

Latest