The Student Room Group

Integrated mechanical and electrical engineering vs pure mechanical

Hey,
I'm a Year 13 student studying Maths, Physics, and Further Maths at A-Level.
Today I received the last offer that I had been waiting on from the university of Bath.
While I applied for the Mechanical Engineering Meng with placement year I have received an offer for Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (also a Meng) due to the fact that Bath has filled all of their places for pure mechanical engineering.

I was wondering what the benefits/ downsides of taking a mixture of mechanical and electrical instead of just straight mechanical would be and whether this new offer is worth considering.

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by HClarkson05
Hey,
Today I received the last offer that I had been waiting on from the university of Bath.
While I applied for the Mechanical Engineering Meng with placement year I have received an offer for Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (also a Meng) due to the fact that Bath has filled all of their places for pure mechanical engineering.

I was wondering what the benefits/ downsides of taking a mixture of mechanical and electrical instead of just straight mechanical would be and whether this new offer is worth considering.

If you're interested in the electrical & electronics side of things it's definitely worth considering. I suspect the degree is still mainly mechanical focused.
Hey,

I think mechanical and electrical is still a great option for those interested in engineering mechanical systems.

If you have a very hard interested interest in the science of mechanical systems and zero interest in the physics of electrical systems then a pure mech route maybe better. If you are interested in mechanical products and technology more generally then id note virtually all mechanical products nowadays have electrical controllers and systems integrated and most products involve systems of engineering and as such electrical engineering is still a great degree and mech ee combination degree is a really great option to consider.

I dont see any big downside, and if you do really dont enjoy the electrical aspects you could always drop down to a BEng then do a pure mechanical MSc so you do 3 years mixed + 1 year straight mechanical.
Reply 3
Hey,

Hi I’m in the exact same position for this years intake and I was just wondering whether you decided to pick it or not? debating it as well

Quick Reply

Latest