The Student Room Group

Covid-19 believed to exist outside of the UK

After months of research into reports from other countries who also claim they have Covid-19 outbreaks, the government has decided that those reports are likely true. Provisionally, it will enforce a 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the country after spending hours on a metal tube, sharing recycled air with strangers from potentially all over the world. It does not believe that the Republic of Ireland's reports of 20k+ cases and 1k+ deaths are valid, so will not enforce a quarantine on anyone arriving from there. The government has however delayed implementing this quarantine until the end of the month, just in case they find more evidence that the rest of the world is lying.

Do you think this quarantine makes sense? Should it (have) come in sooner? Does it show the lobbying power of the aviation industry?
Original post by ThomH97
After months of research into reports from other countries who also claim they have Covid-19 outbreaks, the government has decided that those reports are likely true. Provisionally, it will enforce a 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the country after spending hours on a metal tube, sharing recycled air with strangers from potentially all over the world. It does not believe that the Republic of Ireland's reports of 20k+ cases and 1k+ deaths are valid, so will not enforce a quarantine on anyone arriving from there. The government has however delayed implementing this quarantine until the end of the month, just in case they find more evidence that the rest of the world is lying.

Do you think this quarantine makes sense? Should it (have) come in sooner? Does it show the lobbying power of the aviation industry?

I believe it should have come in sooner because quarantine reduces risk of transmission of the virus. I mean, the gov are saying that the Isle of Man, Channel Islands and the Republic of ireland are exempt from it but if you combine the cases and deaths of all three, then it is a large number.
Original post by ThomH97

The argument previously was it doesnt make a lot of difference., testing at airports was ineffective and mainly involved temperature checks.
Also most of the people were flying through or were returnee UK citizens.

Hindsight and common sense says they should have been stopping people going to infected countries for holiday and imposed tougher regulations on returnees. This was weeks before lockdown when it was starting to affect Europe.

Bit late now, but might as well do it as hardly any coming back now and there are enough cases in the UK.
It will stop people going on about it though.
Original post by ThomH97

I really don't think there was any point in such restrictions during the height of the pandemic. We had coronavirus widespread everywhere - to suggest we need to quarantine the what quarter of a million people who enter this country every day, just in case they bring 1 more case... come on.

I was actually mocking people in the opposite way to what you are doing in this post - 'Did you realise that... the UK already has coronavirus! Maybe you don't watch the news much! Taking people from countries who... almost all have less coronavirus than us... probably isn't that big a deal! '.

They should have done restrictions early on, and they should definitely do it one circulating levels are sufficiently low that we can re-start track and trace strategies again. But even then, remember that half of our food arrives from abroad, mostly in trucks - its not exactly practical for us to arrange driver switches and deep cleans of every truck at the border, so those guys are going to be coming in driving around still. Literally nothing we can do about that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Ideally the traveller quarantine should have been done at the start. I'm an international student and my country implemented this for anyone returning from the UK, amongst other countries. So when I left the UK I had to quarantine myself at home initially. But of course we all know that initially the government was planning for herd immunity, so they lost the chance for such a quarantine to be effective. As mentioned above, if there is widespread community transmission, this quarantine doesn't really help as much anymore.

From what I understand, now that UK's infections seems to be stabilising, the government will try to get a 'clean slate' with regard to infections, then implement quarantine for travellers. Only then will it be effective, if transmission is much reduced.
Reply 5
Won't make one iota of difference bar getting a few column inches..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending