The Student Room Group

How were the lockdowns for you?

on reflection

Scroll to see replies

Like nothing I've ever experienced before
Reply 2
One of the worst periods of modern times, when people were imprisoned and had their rights stripped away over an utter mindless hysteria, whilst large numbers of people cheered it on and became intoxicated with the feeling of power and moral superiority it gave them.

Look back on it a few years later. Is there anyone who seriously thinks it wasn't all a sick joke?
Reply 3
Sometimes I find a coat or a jacket I haven't worn in a while and there's a facemask in the pocket. I wonder "why were we as a nation so incredibly stupid?"
Reply 4
severley depressed. i considered unaliving myself
Reply 5
Original post by beefreya
severley depressed. i considered unaliving myself

But at least you flattened the curve and protected the NHS.
Reply 6
Original post by Trinculo
But at least you flattened the curve and protected the NHS.

preach
Reply 7
I think there should be two national holidays created.

NHS Day and NHS Covid day.

On both days all citizens are required by law to line the streets and clap and cheer for the our NHS for five hours starting and ending with an emergency warning text.

This is to be recorded on Tiktok or instagram with #clapuntilyoubleed and submitted as evidence that you complied.

Persons not complying will have their bank accounts closed and their names circulated on a social media blacklist.

Children are urged to report on their parents and other adults who do not participate and if they hear any anti-NHS sentiments in their homes.

NHS staff will not be required to do so.

Nor will teachers because reasons.

or train drivers, because they have militant unions. .
(edited 11 months ago)
At first I was absolutely horrified. I didn't know how serious the situation was with lockdown until the days beforehand. I spent days, weeks and months not going out of the house at all and was constantly fearful, but I did find a great way to do exercise with Ring Fit Adventure on Nintendo Switch. I isolated myself a lot, but I did get some mental health support and I didn't even get Covid until the end of June last year.

The whole NHS clap business I was split on. I do feel it gave us a sense of unity and made us come together in a crisis, but it's also a bit condescending because we're clapping for health workers who do what they do day in and day out. I do feel bad and sorry for the children who had to witness and endure all this suffering, but I feel these experiences make them and us stronger. We've gone through a period of great toughness and darkness-yet we keep persevering-that's the power of humanity right there.
Reply 9
I particularly liked the sense of unity and community that arose from seeing a local doctors receptionist, working from home, pushing past all the people queuing up outside a supermarket for toilet rolls with her "NHS Key Worker" badge on.

It makes me want to put on a facemask right now and clap for the NHS.
Reply 10
Original post by Avreil
on reflection

I felt immensely lonely as an only child yet i got closer with my mum. I was 12 turnign 13 in jun e 2020 so i was in that stage of life so having my mum to ask about was great but i lost a lot of my social interactions as i dont have anyone my age

I think there should be two national holidays created.

NHS Day and NHS Covid day.

On both days all citizens are required by law to line the streets and clap and cheer for the our NHS for five hours starting and ending with an emergency warning text.

This is to be recorded on Tiktok or instagram with #clapuntilyoubleed and submitted as evidence that you complied.

Persons not complying will have their bank accounts closed and their names circulated on a social media blacklist.

Children are urged to report on their parents and other adults who do not participate and if they hear any anti-NHS sentiments in their homes.

NHS staff will not be required to do so.

Nor will teachers because reasons.

or train drivers, because they have militant unions. .

FRRR WE SHOULD CELEBRATE OUR NHS WORKER SO WORK SO HARD. MY COUSIN WORKED SO HARD her dad (my uncle) died during april 2020 during the peak of covid cases in the uk yet she was grieving but helped people
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
The culture of laziness and sense of distrust will take years to resolve, if ever.
Difficult until I had stuff to do. In the first one I didn't drive and struggled to find any online jobs. Then I found a hobby I stuck with and felt better. Second and third were better because I had uni work to busy myself with or was with my housemates.

I found them difficult like anyone else but I have to look back upon how I lucky I was in comparison to so many people.
Pretty miserable as I was living by myself for the first time but it gave way to really wild summer in 2021. So many people with pent-up sexual energy.
Reply 14
Horrible
Reply 15
One of the worst periods of modern times, when people were imprisoned and had their rights stripped away over an utter mindless hysteria, whilst large numbers of people cheered it on and became intoxicated with the feeling of power and moral superiority it gave them.

Look back on it a few years later. Is there anyone who seriously thinks it wasn't all a sick joke?

It wasn't a sick joke. Millions of people died...
Reply 16
Original post by black tea
It wasn't a sick joke. Millions of people died...

It was a bad cold that will in the fullness of time turn out to be the greatest medical scandal in human history. And all the people that helped propogate the lies will magically pretend that they too, were misled.

Just think back to how stupid we all were to have been duped into behaving as we did.

Remember people washing their hands until they bled? Remember people queuing up outside supermarkets - as if that would have made a difference?

Remember being shut in your home for days on end, effectively under house arrest?

Remember only being allowed out for an hour a day for exercise?

Remember how people were scared into wearing filthy face nappies, which no-one wore properly - as if that was supposed to somehow help?

Remember people dying (of any cause - usually nothing to do with covid) all alone in hospital beds because their families weren't permitted to see them?

Remember half the country being paid to do nothing as businesses - people's lifetime work -vanished forever?

Remember being told to take a vaccine that it turned out was just a cocktail of chemicals and biotech that we have no idea of and was completely and utterly untested - and as it turns out did none of the things it was promised?

If one thing comes out of covid, it must be that we must never ever be allowed to be treated like this again. Never forget and never forgive.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 17
It was a bad cold that will in the fullness of time turn out to be the greatest medical scandal in human history. And all the people that helped propogate the lies will magically pretend that they too, were misled.

Just think back to how stupid we all were to have been duped into behaving as we did.

Remember people washing their hands until they bled? Remember people queuing up outside supermarkets - as if that would have made a difference?

Remember being shut in your home for days on end, effectively under house arrest?

Remember only being allowed out for an hour a day for exercise?

Remember how people were scared into wearing filthy face nappies, which no-one wore properly - as if that was supposed to somehow help?

Remember people dying (of any cause - usually nothing to do with covid) all alone in hospital beds because their families weren't permitted to see them?

Remember half the country being paid to do nothing as businesses - people's lifetime work -vanished forever?

Remember being told to take a vaccine that it turned out was just a cocktail of chemicals and biotech that we have no idea of and was completely and utterly untested - and as it turns out did none of the things it was promised?

If one thing comes out of covid, it must be that we must never ever be allowed to be treated like this again. Never forget and never forgive.

we clearly have very different views and experiences of the pandemic and me arguing with you about this would be pointless. you believe whatever you want to believe.
Reply 18
It was horrific and I'm glad that it is done with.

And I worked all the way through it, god knows how I'd have been if I hadn't.
Quite liked the first one 2nd one changed me for the worst ngl

Quick Reply

Latest