The Student Room Group

Even and odd functions

Q: Show that every polynomial is the sum of an even and an odd function.
Here is what I've done, but it feels more like I have just stated stuff rather than shown it:
https://ibb.co/ZMPT5hf

How can I show this result?
Reply 1
Original post by Physics1872
Q: Show that every polynomial is the sum of an even and an odd function.
Here is what I've done, but it feels more like I have just stated stuff rather than shown it:
https://ibb.co/ZMPT5hf

How can I show this result?

Possibly show that the odd power terms satisfy the definition of an odd function and similarly for even power terms and therefore the sums are also odd/even, but that may be overkill? You've got the right idea.

Edit. The more general result is if g(x) is even and h(x) is odd then
f(x) = g(x) + h(x)
Where
g(x) = (f(x)+f(-x))/2
h(x) = (f(x)-f(-x))/2
For any function f(x).
(edited 3 years ago)
I've got nothing to add... but please don't write arbitrary polynomials like that.

f(x)=a0+a1x++an1xn1+anxn\ f(x)= a_{0} + a_{1} x + … + a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + a_{n} x^{n}

Is just so much better looking.
(edited 3 years ago)
i=02naixi=i=0na2ix2i+i=0n1a(2i+1)x2i+1\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^{2n} a_i x^i =\sum_{i=0}^n a_{2i} x^{2i}+\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}a_{(2i+1)}x^{2i+1}

I'm just messing around. I don't think the question is actually worth asking or answering.
Original post by mqb2766
Possibly show that the odd power terms satisfy the definition of an odd function and similarly for even power terms and therefore the sums are also odd/even, but that may be overkill? You've got the right idea.

Edit. The more general result is if g(x) is even and h(x) is odd then
f(x) = g(x) + h(x)
Where
g(x) = (f(x)+f(-x))/2
h(x) = (f(x)-f(-x))/2
For any function f(x).

Ohh right, I see what you mean. Thanks!
Original post by zetamcfc
I've got nothing to add... but please don't write arbitrary polynomials like that.

f(x)=a0+a1x++an1xn1+anxn\ f(x)= a_{0} + a_{1} x + … + a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + a_{n} x^{n}

Is just so much better looking.

Ahh lol, I am used to writing polynomials as f(x)= x^4 +x^3 etc. I'll keep that in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest