The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The fireworks were obviously computer generated so no problem there. Dont see anything wrong with the girl either.

Dodgy on the gymnastics front and some of the judging but overall its been fine
Reply 61
Callipygian
What is the minimum age, someone told me it was 16 but that cant be right because they wouldnt be so open about underageness here http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/Athlete/8/235318.shtml

It is 16. And the date of birth there would make her 16.
Most of them look like they are just starting puberty, I cant believe the IOC is just starting to investigate. For some odd reason China and other asian countries are given a lot more leeway in these games, especially in sports like boxing. And who are the morons that voted no.:mad:
Reply 64
worldwide
doubt it will ever be proven - would be really easy to falsify their documents

The problem is that if it's a government conspiracy, they don't HAVE to falsify them, they could have produced completely genuine, official documents that contain the incorrect information. Looking at those girls, it is obvious to anyone that they are under 16. I'd say they're 14 at MOST.
Does anyone really care? A country of 1.3 billion people is winning in their own country is hardly a big achievement.
Economist
Dont see anything wrong with the girl either.

Dodgy on the gymnastics front and some of the judging but overall its been fine

How is nothing wrong with the girl though...she's 14 and the limit is 16 minimum. Surely that's nothing but wrong making her lie to national camera's, and possibly making her life a misery due to excessive training, which is what the age limit is in place to reduce.

tranhieu
the case is closed

So it may be, but nothing can stop the facts. I'm glad the way the USA gymnasts are going about this, very very respectable.
electriic_ink
Does anyone really care? A country of 1.3 billion people is winning in their own country is hardly a big achievement.

Yes, they've cheated and made other straight gymnasts go away with Silvers or Bronzes instead of golds.
Without these young girls they wouldn't have won.

Dionysus
The problem is that if it's a government conspiracy, they don't HAVE to falsify them, they could have produced completely genuine, official documents that contain the incorrect information.

Exactly right.

All that story says is that either the girls are truly 16 or the chinese government, the parents and the athletes themselves are lying. Which is pretty much still square one.

Personally, I'd guess that yes they are underage given the search engine evidence on the earlier link and the history of several countries cheating as well as the untrustworthiness of the Chinese government.
one2three_abc
Yes, they've cheated and made other straight gymnasts go away with Silvers or Bronzes instead of golds.
Without these young girls they wouldn't have won.

So? It's just a game.

edit: Okay, maybe that was a bit of an ignorant comment considering people's careers rest on this but I, personally, don't care.
Reply 70
StarsAreFixed
Some of the fireworks are. Yes, lots of reports that He Kexin and Yang Yilin, hymnasts, are 14. And the ethnic diversity bit with children showcasing the 56 different minorities, all 56 were from the same Han majority. Not as scandalous as the Olympics in the 70's though..

sorry for being really dim but what happened in the 70's? just out of interest lol
electriic_ink

Yes because it denies medal hopes of those affected who do not cheat. You'd make a good footballer player for Juventus or AC Milan.
electriic_ink
So? It's just a game.

A game which they've cheated at and deprived others of winning the best prize available to them in the world in their event, by false means.

They've cheated before with the "tough love and turtle soup" crap...

and OMG, 17 people think they haven't cheated...I mean, wtf. :confused:
electriic_ink
So? It's just a game.

edit: Okay, maybe that was a bit of an ignorant comment considering people's careers rest on this but I, personally, don't care.

What do you feel about benefit cheats then? Fixing in horse racing?
Reply 74
electriic_ink

Even less of an achievement if it turns out that cheating has helped them along the way.
electriic_ink

I feel sorry for you having that attitude.
And why feel the need to make up a post count? Bit stupid if you ask me.
electriic_ink
So? It's just a game.

Life is just a game
Reply 77
Just to point out that this information from the official olympics website says that one of the gymnasts is not 16 until Tuesday

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/Athlete/6/235316.shtml
Reply 78
one2three_abc
A game which they've cheated at and deprived others of winning the best prize available to them in the world in their event, by false means.

They've cheated before with the "tough love and turtle soup" crap...

and OMG, 17 people think they haven't cheated...I mean, wtf. :confused:

It's not that they don't think that they've cheated. It's more that they refuse to remove their blinkers where China is concerned. They just can't do it. If the US were up to this sort of malarky they'd be all over it.
Lawkt
Just to point out that this information from the official olympics website says that one of the gymnasts is not 16 until Tuesday

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/BIO/Athlete/6/235316.shtml

They must turn 16 during the month of the Olympics or something along those lines. And that site contains false information anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending