The Student Room Group

Should i take further math if i want to do economics at uni?

I must choose between further math and Chinese a level as these subjects clash in my school timetable.

I understand that its important to have math heavy a level subjects for Econ applications, so im also doing physics.

I’m not sure if thats enough to show my math skills or if i also need further math…im worried that i might find further too difficult, but by that point if i want to switch to chinese i cant since it’ll be too late and then ill be stuck with only 3 a levels.

So basically its further math vs chinese
Original post by Odeevee
I must choose between further math and Chinese a level as these subjects clash in my school timetable.

I understand that its important to have math heavy a level subjects for Econ applications, so im also doing physics.

I’m not sure if thats enough to show my math skills or if i also need further math…im worried that i might find further too difficult, but by that point if i want to switch to chinese i cant since it’ll be too late and then ill be stuck with only 3 a levels.

Further maths is definitely the better option. I did A level Chinese and dropped it after year 12 and wished I took further maths instead. A level Chinese is very time consuming in that a lot of memorization is needed especially for the literature bit. It is also recommended that if you want to pursue econs that you have FM. Can I ask why you seem to lean towards 4 A levels?
Original post by Odeevee

Check the course on unis websites to see if they require further maths.
If they dont specify, then do whichever of the 2 you think you will enjoy the most and get the best grade in.
Reply 3
Original post by Tulipbloom
Further maths is definitely the better option. I did A level Chinese and dropped it after year 12 and wished I took further maths instead. A level Chinese is very time consuming in that a lot of memorization is needed especially for the literature bit. It is also recommended that if you want to pursue econs that you have FM. Can I ask why you seem to lean towards 4 A levels?

Im half chinese and fluent so chinese would actual be very easy for me lol
But i do agree that maybe further would be more beneficial for Econ…
4 alevels bc it shows to unis that i have breadth and also bc (mainly applies for top unis) it helps differentiate students i think as many applicants will have A/A*s, so they will start looking at other factors like extracurriculars, the number of a levels, work experience etc
Reply 4
Original post by Odeevee
Im half chinese and fluent so chinese would actual be very easy for me lol
But i do agree that maybe further would be more beneficial for Econ…
4 alevels bc it shows to unis that i have breadth and also bc (mainly applies for top unis) it helps differentiate students i think as many applicants will have A/A*s, so they will start looking at other factors like extracurriculars, the number of a levels, work experience etc

Only do 4 if you are doing Maths and FMaths as two - there is NO benefit otherwise. Universites cannot use 'doing 4 A level' as part of entry requirement this as some schools only allow three.

Check the unis you might want to apply to as to whether FMaths is required or preferred.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Only do 4 if you are doing Maths and FMaths as two - there is NO benefit otherwise. Universites cannot use 'doing 4 A level' as part of entry requirement this as some schools only allow three.

Check the unis you might want to apply to as to whether FMaths is required or preferred.

Yeah thanks! FM is required/definitely preferred in all the unis i want to go to since im a bit ambitious lol :smile:- im replying from my other acc!
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending