The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 19n19
Thanks for your reply. the thing is I haven't started yet. It's my first year and I still haven't started yet.

But have you applied for and taken the UCAT? The deadline was 12 noon today (https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/dates-and-fees/)

Are you ready to submit a medicine application for 28 days' time?

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by dumbgirltryhard
yeah guess I can't be too picky, do you know of any other unis I could apply to?

You part of any WAP?
Maybe UEA but not 100% sure, maybe someone can clarify
Reply 602
I have taken the ucat yes and I have done my application- I just need to write on my personal statement whether I'm taking a gap year or not and what I'll do tin that year.
Original post by 19n19
I have taken the ucat yes and I have done my application- I just need to write on my personal statement whether I'm taking a gap year or not and what I'll do tin that year.

Oh good so you're already prepared.

In that case, if you're not going to lose anything (money!) then I would suggest that you don't start Pharmacy - especially if your heart is not going to be in it. Pharmacy shouldn't even be a backup for Medicine in my opinion.

The thing is, no one yet knows how competitive it'll be next year. While there will be more deferrals compared to previous years, EU students having to pay international fees would mean that there's proportion out of the competition for home student places.

If you have already achieved A-Levels, some places may even guarantee you an interview (e.g Leicester).

Original post by *Tenacity*
Hi everyone, I have a couple of qns regarding Birmingham Uni for A100 med. Would really like to hear others opinions on whether I should apply to these universities or not.

I’m planning to take all 3 A levels in the summer (got BBB in my CAGs) and my school has predicted me A*AA for UCAS. My UCAT was 2890 (722.5 average) band 1, and I have 9 A*/8/9 grades.

I’m having a little trouble with the Birmingham offer calc, the maximum it can go is 7.5? But the cut off for 2020 entry was something like 8.5? Also, they have said the following in their section on taking the 2021 exams:

If our offer requirement is not met, we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

When I emailed them, they said that it would not matter if I got BBB, provided I list those grades as pending on UCAS and I get the required A levels next year. I don’t know who to believe, and I’m a bit all over the place at the moment :s-smilie: would really appreciate if someone could clarify this for me

The scoring system has changed for 2021 entry that’s why you are confused by looking at last years cut off. The cut off for this year is obviously unknown but you are right in saying the maximum score a non contextual applicant is 7.5/10.

It’s clear from their web site if you are on their contextual school list CAGs or first sitting of BBB are acceptable, if not then you need ABB. So are you contextual?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 605
Thank you for your advice really appreciate it !
Reply 606
Thank you
[QUOTE=
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Leis sandwiches
So no one wants to help me?

You posted in the wrong thread, and it is also against TSR ruled to post your post within 24 hours. Please be patient!

I suggest you either post in the "which medical school should I apply to" megathread with all your stats (read the first post of that thread):https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038.

I see you have already posted in the KCL A100 2021 thread - note that it's also against our rules to double post.

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by dumbgirltryhard
hi thank you for this, which unis are you referring to?

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-school-a-level-resit-policies/

For example if you get ABB or below, initially for Sunderland you have to sit all 3 exams in the same sitting for your resits even though you achieved one A. Sheffield say they want resits to be done in one sitting. For most unis they specify that they want exams to be sat within two years in the same sitting (although I know they may not say that this year)

I would read the unis website and also email them to explain your situation to confirm if they would accept your grades under these circumstances, when I emailed several a few weeks ago I had replies that suggested that I’d have to sit my exams in either autumn or summer in the same sitting.

Obviously these exams in most unis do not count as ‘normal’ resits as we haven’t sat any exams. I was also told at the time by Manchester for example that autumn exams don’t count as a resit but summer ones will. I don’t know if that’s changed since but I believe it is up to the individual universities to make up their mind of the consider summer 2021 a resit or not so make sure you’re clear with them.

Hopefully I’ve made sense, I think it’s really down to the unis you apply to and how they choose to consider them! X
Alright my bad
Original post by Laycity
The scoring system has changed for 2021 entry that’s why you are confused by looking at last years cut off. The cut off for this year is obviously unknown but you are right in saying the maximum score a non contextual applicant is 7.5/10.

It’s clear from their web site if you are on their contextual school list CAGs or first sitting of BBB are acceptable, if not then you need ABB. So are you contextual?

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I don’t think I am a contextual applicant because my school isn’t in the list that they have on their website (it’s a selective grammar school). I emailed them again and I got a reply that was word for word that paragraph, so I don’t think they will consider my application :/ Bit of a shame since I really liked their university but oh well. Thanks for your clarification about the threshold for 2020 entry tho!
Hello, please can someone advise me if I am allowed to reapply this year through UCAS to other medicine universities whilst holding conditional offers that will be reinstated for 2021 entry depending on the grades that I get in summer 2021.

CAG's ABB
Basically last year I had firmed Leicester and insured keele for medicine, however I did not achieve the grades in august. Since then keele got back to me and said if you intend to take summer exams and have already had an offer from us, we will reinstate ur conditional offer for 2021 entry on the basis you achieve the grades in summer. I don't need to retake UCAT or do MMI's again. ( but they did say u might have to take UCAT if you wish to apply to other medical schools aswell)

Leicester then got back to me last week saying that they will "honour my offer" for 2021 entry because I firmed them on the basis that I get the grades in summer 2021. They also said that I would have to reapply through UCAS aswell since my application is not live with them and I will not have to take the UCAT or do MMI's again for them aswell.

So my situation currently is that I have booked the UCAT for 26th sept and am planning on taking it to apply to two other uni's with aswell in my UCAS application for 2021 entry. I am so happy to already have two universities reinstating my offers, but I have always dreamt of going to bristol or Nottingham university aswell, hence doing the UCAT again( i also want to see if I can do better than last year)

My question is would this be acceptable?, because I have seen previous posts on here saying you can't reapply if you hold conditional offers.
Keele saying it would be acceptable and leciester didn't mention anything about that at all. But I am assuming that I can do this, since I need to reapply anyway for them to reinstate my offers.
Hi,

Got CAGs of ABB, my med school did tell they would honour my place for next year if I get an A grade in the Summer 2021 series.

I am planning to take A level chem again, but I am debating whether to would be worth only doing A level chem to be safe or doing A level chem and maths and apply with AAA to other med schools too.

I say this as I could apply to med schools which give out contextual offers of ABB in some cases. Is it worth the risk?

Also I am generally weaker at math, do you think the time we have left would be enough to get to a good standard to get an A and also be at good standard for Chem?

Thanks
Original post by Ravi2002
Hi,

Got CAGs of ABB, my med school did tell they would honour my place for next year if I get an A grade in the Summer 2021 series.

I am planning to take A level chem again, but I am debating whether to would be worth only doing A level chem to be safe or doing A level chem and maths and apply with AAA to other med schools too.

I say this as I could apply to med schools which give out contextual offers of ABB in some cases. Is it worth the risk?

Also I am generally weaker at math, do you think the time we have left would be enough to get to a good standard to get an A and also be at good standard for Chem?

Thanks

What unis hive contextual offer of a AB?

Only one I can think of is Bristol.

Most of the foundation courses say Abb is too high.
The uni I’m applying to said to state ‘pending’ on the grades on ucas. Do I write pending on all my subjects or just the ones I’m resitting. Thanks
Original post by Whatisizekiah
What unis hive contextual offer of a AB?

Only one I can think of is Bristol.

Most of the foundation courses say Abb is too high.

From what I've seen I believe Lancaster and Exeter give contextual offers of ABB given you meet certain criteria
Original post by Ravi2002
From what I've seen I believe Lancaster and Exeter give contextual offers of ABB given you meet certain criteria

Newcastle has PARTNERS - BBB
Leeds has access via Leeds - ABB
Nottingham has contextual - AAB
Majority of medical schools would offer contextual offers in the form of a foundation year
Original post by Pillbottle
The uni I’m applying to said to state ‘pending’ on the grades on ucas. Do I write pending on all my subjects or just the ones I’m resitting. Thanks

Just the ones that will have a result pending? ie the ones you are resitting
Reply 619
Guys, you know on ucas when putting your grades for science subjects a little box shows up asking about practical exams and you have 3 choices. Can I know whether I'm meant to put that I passed it even though I didn't do it due to the situation this year?

Latest

Trending

Trending