The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toxic896
I’m talking about the 6 year guaranteed foundation courses, not the Biomed transfer schemes.
For the 6 year foundation you have to do an interview and an entrance exam as normal, the only exchange is an extra year for lower grades and I believe you just have to pass the foundation year.

u say pass ur foundation year like it's easy, lol :lol:
thanks for the advice tho, I probably will do something like that :smile:
Original post by dxnixl
Applied: 09/10/2020
UCAT: 2420 SJT 3 :frown:
BMAT: 4.6 4.8 3.5A :s-smilie:
GCSEs: 999988887
AS-Levels: AABB (Math, Computing, Bio, Chem)
Predicted A-Levels: A*A*AA (Math, Bio, Chem, EPQ)

University of Cambridge / A100
Date: 10/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 02/12/2020 | Reply: Rejection :frown:

University of Leeds / A100
Date: 12/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 22/01/2020 | Reply: Rejection

University of Manchester / A106
Date: 20/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 05/12/2020 | Reply: Interview invite
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

University of Liverpool / A100
Date: 13/10/2020 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite / etc.
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

Rejected from Leeds (and I don’t understand why as i’m also on A2L) this is not goin well... :redface:
Original post by Ducky_MoMo
Since we're talking about medicine related shows thought I'd chip in:colone:

The best I've seen is probably "999: Critical Condition" - its basically about what goes on in resus of A & E and follows the work of trauma consultants/juniors/nurses/HCA and it's quite amazing. You come across loads of the scenarios in ethics like Triple A, Cardiac Arrests, patients bleeding to death who need transfusions, end of life palliative patients, stab wounds etc. and it allows a practical viewpoint for the scenarios so you actually see what to do irl. There's also a fair bit of breaking bad news and decision making between life and death and you get to see it all. The consultants usually give some good snappy lines that you can steal for interview as well:biggrin:

Next is "Inside The Operating Theatre" - this shows live what happens in the operating theatre(🤯) and how the MDT operates, what goes on, how they go about the surgery, just how important teamwork is in medicine and gives in-depth roles of everyone which I find interesting. I recommend starting with the Open Heart Surgery - they literally freeze the heart and you can see it!!!!!:woo:(Can be quite long though like 3 hours sometimes :s-smilie:)

Then its "Surgeons on the edge of life" - this gives more insight into modern day surgery, advances in technology, and cutting edge research being implemented in medicine. It really highlights the interdependence of science and medicine which is why I like it.

Next is "GPs: Behind Close Doors" this is also really useful as it shows the everyday workings of a doctor, how they build a rapport with patients, teach some medical students, break bad news like cancer to patients, diagnose a $hitload of stuff and basically feels more human and real. It also often talks about the mental health and sanity of doctors themselves and I think it's important.

Then there's the more common ones like "Inside the ambulance" and "24 Hours in A & E" - these just give more colloquial examples of issues that patients face but there's still something to learn.

Obviously take what they say with a pinch of salt cos at the end of the day they are TV shows, but I think they're useful and relatable when prepping for interviews and I quite enjoy watching them:smile:

This post has been incredibly useful @Ducky_MoMo thank you.
Original post by dxnixl
Rejected from Leeds (and I don’t understand why as i’m also on A2L) this is not goin well... :redface:

You've had an interview, don't give up hope yet!

If you're really not sure why you got rejected it's always worth getting in touch to ask why and if you can appeal. You never know, they could turn around and say they made a mistake.
Original post by becausethenight
You've had an interview, don't give up hope yet!

If you're really not sure why you got rejected it's always worth getting in touch to ask why and if you can appeal. You never know, they could turn around and say they made a mistake.

They made it explicit not to call or email them because they’ve already ‘reconsidered’ every student :/ I honestly don’t know why they rejected me pre-interview :’)
Original post by spectrum84
After 3 months waiting I've finally got a reply from all my med schools.
Rejections from all of them :frown:
Not sure what I'm gonna do now

I'm really sorry to hear this it's a horrible feeling, happened my son last year but it's gonna happen about 60 or 70% of applicants this year too.. an awful lot of it is just down to luck. I hope you give it another shot next year and best of luck with your exams.
Any A100 Liverpool applicants here that still haven't heard back from liverpool ? Not even an acknowledgement lol ? If so, what are your UCAT scores ? Mine's 2500 :smile:
Original post by Interfering Mum
I'm really sorry to hear this it's a horrible feeling, happened my son last year but it's gonna happen about 60 or 70% of applicants this year too.. an awful lot of it is just down to luck. I hope you give it another shot next year and best of luck with your exams.

Thank you so much, I'll decide what to do over the next couple of weeks once I've come to terms with it :redface:
Thank you so much, I'll decide what to do over the next couple of weeks once I've come to terms with it :redface:

Ah God love you I really feel for you, I remember how sad I felt too. But looking back, my son didn't really have a clue what he should be doing, his careers teacher was useless then we found this thread and he followed all the advice to the letter, you really don't need any other help, they are fantastic here. He's had 3 interviews now just hoping for his 4th but if Lady Luck doesn't favour him this year either he could be in the same situation again. The competition is fierce and so many great kids are rejected simply because there's not enough space. Callum (my son) took his gap year, worked in Mcdonald's (I know but it's a job!) has saved a fortune for uni if he ever gets, really gave a good try for his UCAT, and prepared properly for his interviews and really found out a lot about the career from reading and listening to people talking/online WE. You have lots of time on a gap year as you don't have exams, to really improve your application and make sure this is what you want to do. You will be fine, dust yourself off and know you will come back bigger and better this year, it's only another few months anyway before you start getting ready to apply again! You'll be fine and the time will fly by. Enjoy a little bit of rest time too 😊
u say pass ur foundation year like it's easy, lol :lol:
thanks for the advice tho, I probably will do something like that :smile:

I mean every year of Med school you need to pass lol,
But I’d defo give them a look into.
There’s around 9 Med schools that offer the 6 year course to contextual applicants
Ah God love you I really feel for you, I remember how sad I felt too. But looking back, my son didn't really have a clue what he should be doing, his careers teacher was useless then we found this thread and he followed all the advice to the letter, you really don't need any other help, they are fantastic here. He's had 3 interviews now just hoping for his 4th but if Lady Luck doesn't favour him this year either he could be in the same situation again. The competition is fierce and so many great kids are rejected simply because there's not enough space. Callum (my son) took his gap year, worked in Mcdonald's (I know but it's a job!) has saved a fortune for uni if he ever gets, really gave a good try for his UCAT, and prepared properly for his interviews and really found out a lot about the career from reading and listening to people talking/online WE. You have lots of time on a gap year as you don't have exams, to really improve your application and make sure this is what you want to do. You will be fine, dust yourself off and know you will come back bigger and better this year, it's only another few months anyway before you start getting ready to apply again! You'll be fine and the time will fly by. Enjoy a little bit of rest time too 😊

Wow that's inspiring
Original post by dxnixl

Hey I think you should definitely get feedback on why you got rejected because looking at your stats you should’ve got an interview
Original post by JP2000!!!
Wow that's inspiring

Flip dont take all I say too seriously lol I gabble away without stopping sometimes!

Ur so nice, Callum is lucky to have a mother like u :biggrin:
Ur post has made me feel so much better and made me realise it's not the end of the world and there'll be other chances.
I hope ur son gets offers too this year! Thanks so much for the advice :smile:
Ur so nice, Callum is lucky to have a mother like u :biggrin:
Ur post has made me feel so much better and made me realise it's not the end of the world and there'll be other chances.
I hope ur son gets offers too this year! Thanks so much for the advice :smile:

Wee pet 😍 you'll be absolutely fine and a bit of time to yourself before you get lost in the medicine world will be lovely.
Hi just wondering if there are any stories of people getting an unexpected medicine offer post-interview eg they thought their interview went badly (obviously not from this year yet but current medics?)
Original post by heythere5697
Hi just wondering if there are any stories of people getting an unexpected medicine offer post-interview eg they thought their interview went badly (obviously not from this year yet but current medics?)

Why obviously not from this year? There are a few med schools who have already given out actual offers (not interview invites) for 2021/22 entry e.g. Keele, Dundee, UCL etc.

And of course there are loads - you are definitely not the best judge of your own interview performance.

Post originally created by ecolier.
oh i see, i didn't realise offers were being given out already! thanks for letting me know
Wee pet 😍 you'll be absolutely fine and a bit of time to yourself before you get lost in the medicine world will be lovely.

Ur so nice :heart:
Original post by heythere5697

Ha, for sure. Last year my son had 4 interviews, he thought he "nailed" two of them and was very bad in the other two.
Needless to say, was rejected in the very first wave in one of the interviews he thought he did excellent. Which means that he must have been bottom 25% lol. He was also rejected from the other university where he thought he did well.
He got an offer in the first batch from both the universities he thought he did bad, which means he must have been in their top performers.
So, the idea is not to overthink it. (I know easier said that done).
The most important thing with the UK medical school admission is that you need just *one* offer. That's it, you just need someone to give you a chance, to see something in you. This can also be during clearing or after a gap year(s).

Latest

Trending

Trending