hashus23
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A heating element for an electric fire consists of a single strand of nichrome wire wound
around an insulator. The heater is required to produce 1.2 kW when connected to the
230 Vrms ac mains.
(i) Calculate the working resistance of the nichrome wire.

so basically i done the correct working out ,but i don't understand why they didn't convert the 230 rms into volts. any explanation would be mush appreciated Thanks in Advance.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
230 Vrms isn’t a new type of Energy or something , it’s simply an acronym or two

capital V is for Volts, the lowercase rms is root-mean-square (the effective heating effect of a sinewave)

so 230 Vrms is the voltage that you’ve been looking for (it has a higher peak voltage, but rms gives the same/equivalent as a DC (direct current) voltage at that level) it is in Volts....
hashus23
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
230 Vrms isn’t a new type of Energy or something , it’s simply an acronym or two

capital V is for Volts, the lowercase rms is root-mean-square (the effective heating effect of a sinewave)

so 230 Vrms is the voltage that you’ve been looking for (it has a higher peak voltage, but rms gives the same/equivalent as a DC (direct current) voltage at that level) it is in Volts....
oh ok Thanks , Yh it make sense now I appreciate your Help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (33)
7.13%
October 2021 (210)
45.36%
November 2021 (52)
11.23%
December 2021 (60)
12.96%
January 2021 (52)
11.23%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.86%