The Student Room Group

Physics Help Plz

A heating element for an electric fire consists of a single strand of nichrome wire wound
around an insulator. The heater is required to produce 1.2 kW when connected to the
230 Vrms ac mains.
(i) Calculate the working resistance of the nichrome wire.

so basically i done the correct working out ,but i don't understand why they didn't convert the 230 rms into volts. any explanation would be mush appreciated Thanks in Advance.
230 Vrms isn’t a new type of Energy or something , it’s simply an acronym or two

capital V is for Volts, the lowercase rms is root-mean-square (the effective heating effect of a sinewave)

so 230 Vrms is the voltage that you’ve been looking for (it has a higher peak voltage, but rms gives the same/equivalent as a DC (direct current) voltage at that level) it is in Volts....
Reply 2
Original post by LuigiMario
230 Vrms isn’t a new type of Energy or something , it’s simply an acronym or two

capital V is for Volts, the lowercase rms is root-mean-square (the effective heating effect of a sinewave)

so 230 Vrms is the voltage that you’ve been looking for (it has a higher peak voltage, but rms gives the same/equivalent as a DC (direct current) voltage at that level) it is in Volts....

oh ok Thanks , Yh it make sense now I appreciate your Help

Quick Reply

Latest