The Student Room Group

A levwl biology unit 3 lung disease data

Hey.
I am struggling on how to interpret the graphs and data for lung diseases such as fibrosis, emphysema and asthma and why eg FEV1 would be reduced for one disease to another or why oke diseases curve on graph is much steeper than to another disease for FEV. Can someone literally expalin the difference between FEV and FVC and how one affects a dieases but the other doesnt, id think both correlate. I am struggling with these questions. Any help will be apprecaited. I’ll post the example questions i dont get. Thanks!
Reply 2
Can someone plz exaplin this to me. Thanks!
Original post by Tanyme
Can someone plz exaplin this to me. Thanks!

Hi, I found this confusing as well but my teacher explained it to me this way:

FEV is the maximum volume of air that can be breathed out in one second, so it's essentially the rate of how fast a certain volume of air can be expired.

FVC is the maximum volume of air that can be breathed out in one breath - another way to think about it is the lung volume/capacity.

With asthma, the lung capacity is exactly the same, so the FVC doesn't change, and the same volume of air could still be forcefully breathed out (even during an asthma attack), but it would take longer to do so. The FEV for asthma would decrease, as in one second, less oxygen can physically be breathed out of the airway due to the diameter of the airway decreasing.

With fibrosis, scar tissue formation means that the lungs can expand less, so the capacity of the lungs decreases (the FVC). A patient with fibrosis will not be able to forcefully breathe out the same volume of air, compared to when they were healthy, as their lung volume has decreased.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Biolover2020
Hi, I found this confusing as well but my teacher explained it to me this way:

FEV is the maximum volume of air that can be breathed out in one second, so it's essentially the rate of how fast a certain volume of air can be expired.

FVC is the maximum volume of air that can be breathed out in one breath - another way to think about it is the lung volume/capacity.

With asthma, the lung capacity is exactly the same, so the FVC doesn't change, and the same volume of air could still be forcefully breathed out (even during an asthma attack), but it would take longer to do so. The FEV for asthma would decrease, as in one second, less oxygen can physically be breathed out of the airway due to the diameter of the airway decreasing.

With fibrosis, scar tissue formation means that the lungs can expand less, so the capacity of the lungs decreases (the FVC). A patient with fibrosis will not be able to forcefully breathe out the same volume of air, compared to when they were healthy, as their lung volume has decreased.

I hope this helps :smile:

Hi. Thanks i really appreciate the help! I have a question tho. Wouldn't a decrease in air breathed out per second due to diameter decreasing, directly affect the concentration gradient of co2 at the alveoli so reduced FVC too because the alveoli would then be filling with less air to normal, and breatg out less forcefully. Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Tanyme
Hi. Thanks i really appreciate the help! I have a question tho. Wouldn't a decrease in air breathed out per second due to diameter decreasing, directly affect the concentration gradient of co2 at the alveoli so reduced FVC too because the alveoli would then be filling with less air to normal, and breatg out less forcefully. Thanks!

Concentration gradients have no effect on FVC. The volume of air you breathe in is the same as the volume of air you breathe out, the composition of the air does not matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending