The Student Room Group

Only getting 2 GCSEs and want to become a pilot.

I want to become a pilot but unfortunately in this day and age your grades define everything. So is there any gcse courses I could take to retake them or am I screwed? I am 17 nearly 18 at college now. Just wondering if I could get into my dream job eventhough I have bad grades...
Also be aware that plane travel is down for the forseeable so there are not really any pilot jobs going rn
Reply 2
Original post by Jessy 123
Also be aware that plane travel is down for the forseeable so there are not really any pilot jobs going rn

This is true, so I guess I have time to retake them. Thank you for the reply! Do you also want to be pilot?
Reply 3
have you thought about going into the raf or something similar and learning to be a pilot there? not sure about grade requirements for that but it’s always a possibility?
Have you seen how much it costs to train as a pilot?
Original post by Airbusa320
I want to become a pilot but unfortunately in this day and age your grades define everything. So is there any gcse courses I could take to retake them or am I screwed? I am 17 nearly 18 at college now. Just wondering if I could get into my dream job eventhough I have bad grades...

the reason you need GCSEs for becoming a pilot is that it isn't a 100% practical course, there will be exams and a lot of classroom work as well, plus you need/ will need a good knowledge of physics and maths
Reply 6
Original post by tj03
have you thought about going into the raf or something similar and learning to be a pilot there? not sure about grade requirements for that but it’s always a possibility?

You need GCSEs and A levels at grade C or better to be a pilot in the RAF
Have GCSEs at Grade C/4 or SNE at Grade 5 or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/SNE 5 in English and Maths and at least three other subjects. Have at least 2 A Levels/3 Highers at Grade C or above
Reply 7
ah ok didn’t know that ^
Is there anyway you can redo your GCSEs at college or as a private candidate (you would have to pay to sit them but at least you would have better grades) are you doing a levels now or something else?

Quick Reply

Latest