The Student Room Group

Question about A Level Maths and Physics

Hey all I am 19 currently and I want to be a pilot one day and I am dedicated to doing so but the only issue is right now I have a level 3 in GCSE maths but the thing is this isn't going to be a problem because I am going to spend a year retaking it and aiming for the highest grade possible and believe me I am going to do this and work hard.

THe issue is to be a pilot in the uk you do need to have an a level in physics right? And I got a 4:3 in science and I am pretty sure you cannot retake GCSE science so what can I do?

Do I take a different science course in college and then go from there?

Do I find a way to somehow retake science for a year?

I am so stuck and I really want to do anything it takes because this is my dream and I am 19 so i will not be giving up on it.

And yes I am very aware of how hard science is at A level but like anything I can put work in and get better and I will spend as much time as it takes
Reply 1
Original post by Goofyy
Hey all I am 19 currently and I want to be a pilot one day and I am dedicated to doing so but the only issue is right now I have a level 3 in GCSE maths but the thing is this isn't going to be a problem because I am going to spend a year retaking it and aiming for the highest grade possible and believe me I am going to do this and work hard.

THe issue is to be a pilot in the uk you do need to have an a level in physics right? And I got a 4:3 in science and I am pretty sure you cannot retake GCSE science so what can I do?

Do I take a different science course in college and then go from there?

Do I find a way to somehow retake science for a year?

I am so stuck and I really want to do anything it takes because this is my dream and I am 19 so i will not be giving up on it.

And yes I am very aware of how hard science is at A level but like anything I can put work in and get better and I will spend as much time as it takes

Are you going through university and doing a undergrad degree with pilot training?
If you are willing to pay for it you may be able to do GCSE science privately. I'm unsure though due to the practical elements.
I would recommend reading this Prospects How to be a Pilot in the UK it provides more information on how to become an airline pilot in the UK.
If you just want to fly planes you could look at gliding as a hobby (expensive but not as expensive as pilot training) or joining the RAF.

Good luck with your future career :shakehand:

Quick Reply

Latest