The Student Room Group

Stressing about RAF

Help.

Stressing about the RAF (and GCSEs 😅) because you have to do a Computer Based Apritude Test for testing to become a Pilot 💀. Got my GCSE in a few months as well.

I'm not sure which role I should go if I (probably 99 percent) don't get in.

I'm thinking Reg Gunner?

Anyways Thanks 👍
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by RAFPilotToBe
Help.

Stressing about the RAF (and GCSEs 😅) because you have to do a Computer Based Apritude Test for testing to become a Pilot 💀. Got my GCSE in a few months as well.

I'm thinking Reg Gunner?

Anyways Thanks 👍

The Royal Airforce of any Nation on the Planet want someone who categorically aligns with what is required to be in an Airforce when signing up for their Airforce Academy. To join a Military Unit you need to be able to communicate effectively and to think strategically about the objective; everything else in just bravado and various means of attaining that objective; even your Life. In your current situation, clearly you need qualifications to demonstrate competence in a wide range of faculties that are important to Humanity. The RAF needs Qualifications as a requisite for a competent soldier; not just a soldier that is willing and able to kill.

If you can score decent grades in your GCSE Maths, English, and Science; that is your short term objective for your career either within the Military or as a Civilian Military Asset. The Main problem is that you want to be a Regular Gunner within an Aircraft Unit, but you have not considered the Military Doctrines, Pragmatic Philosophy of Warfare, nor the ethical considerations on what determines a valid military engagement as a Unit within the RAF. Regardless of what Military you are in on the Planet; you need to understand that anyone can fire a weapon; operating an Aircraft and the safety measures required to refuel, coordinate, and communicate are entirely different in terms of the point of a Professional Military Airforce.

If you just want to shoot things for fun from an Aircraft; I'm not sure that is the best approach in terms of providing a compelling reason to join the RAF. However, most Males do not develop a Mature Human Cortex for Emotional Development until the age of 28-32; this means that you would fit in perfectly well with a load of Meatheads that are just contract killers for Hire or Aircraft Button Mashers; its simply not possible to have a logical and strategical mindset prior to that Age in a Mature Adult Male; which is often the cutoff age from being able to join the Military. Additionally, you are 'stressing' about joining the RAF; when you should be confident in delivering the best you can with your GCSE exams; in addition to enrolling in an Officers Training program or at least attending some Military Services and Parades to understand that the Military is a Tradition; Not Exactly a means of executing as many people as possible like you would in a Team Deathmatch Console Game. Have you ever considered how you can assist in protecting the lives of your immediate community; or are you stressing about destroying somebody elses?
Reply 2
Pilot and Reg gunner are at the polar ends of the spectrum, and two completely different jobs. Why not consider one of the 63 roles in between?
Reply 3
Help.

I'm thinking Reg Gunner?

Anyways Thanks 👍

You need A-levels, or equivalent, to join the RAF as a Pilot, so if that's your first choice concentrate on your GCSEs for now as you've got a couple of years to decide on other options. Plus there's other stages to consider; check your medical records to make sure there's no obvious red flags, work on your fitness, do activities that show your leadership potential.

As above, though, why have you picked such diverse roles, from officer to airman?
Reply 4
Original post by Turbo321
Pilot and Reg gunner are at the polar ends of the spectrum, and two completely different jobs. Why not consider one of the 63 roles in between?

True, I'm considering others rn.
Help.

I'm thinking Reg Gunner?

Anyways Thanks 👍
This is going to be a long one but I hope it can provide you with some value.

Hi, personally I am not in the RAF but I am currently 18 and I am going through selection for both Army Air Corps and the Royal Marine Commandos. I just finished school and relate quite a bit so I might be able to help out. I applied to join the Royal Marines as an Officer when I was 15 through an A level scholarship and was going to go to Potential Officers Course until my application got pulled because they scrapped the program. I also applied to the Army at this time and attended briefing. Recently sat Officer Selection Course for the Marines which I failed due to a being pulled off by the medical team. I also have CBAT to sit next week. Hence, I have had quite a lot of experience with the application processes whilst balancing them with school life.

First off I will try to address one of the issues I see in your post. Don't take it as a personal attack just trying to help you out. But mainly your doubt you can make it "probably 99 percent". From my experiences with friends joining the military and at meeting people at various selection events, those who doubt themselves normally end up quitting. I certainly sympathise with this view as well since I have had it too, and trust me it has not served me well. So now, even if you have doubts, it should not effect the amount of effort you put in or how much you want it. Give it 110% effort! or... don't bother doing it.

In regards to your GCSEs, take my word for it, the schools hype it up as a big deal but in truth it is not especially hard. I revised probably 20 minutes a week for each subjects and got grades I am very chuffed about. So take my word for it, and many others will tell you the same, there is not anything to stress about regarding GCSEs. The thing about this is that it is prioritisation. When I did my GCSEs and A-Levels, I prioritised the military over all of it. This meant instead of revising in the evening, I would be learning about foreign affairs, getting fit, getting essays spot-on, and of course maths for CBAT. For me I knew that the military was my destiny, and I would rather run off to the French Foreign Legion that go to university. A lot of skills to polish up on for Officer selection and Pilot selection translates to GCSE subjects like maths, english, history, theology / RE etc through times-tables and essay writing. So even if you do spend your afternoons revising for pilot selection, you will still improve in essay based subjects, maths etc. Or Visa Versa. I chose Politics, History and Economics for A-levels purely for officer selection to polish up my essay writing and it helped me significantly. So, there are way more transferable skills than you think.

Another point you make about what role to go for is also relatable to me. I am pretty sure my eyesight requirements are not good enough for helicopter pilot. However I am still giving it a go. Since it has always been my dream to become a pilot if I don't give it a go I know I will regret it. I wanted to be a pilot in the Navy about a year ago and my eyesight was perfect. However due to fear that I disguised as "wanting to study for A-levels" my eyesight is now not 20/20 and I have been denied. Biggest regret of my short life. Please don't make the same mistake. It is better knowing you tried and didn't make the cut than knowing for the rest of your life you could of done something great and never knowing the possibility. From what I can see, your name is RAFPilotToBe, so you obviously want to go for the pilot role and are passionate about it. My advice would be go for it, but if you do, go 110%. Other roles are also good, so don't think your limited. The world is your oyster, it's just you should to work hard to get it.

On a more philosophical note, you should view the stress like this; You know what you want to do, and it is your duty to do it, it is your calling. If you are stressed then the stress is nothing but a limitation that will only hinder your success. This is harder said than done and I remember the first interview I did for the marines when I was 15 I am pretty sure I ****ed my pants. But overtime the stress became very manageable. I would practice some Stoicism, in other words stop worrying about things you don't have control over. Furthermore, you are sitting your GCSEs, you have plenty of time to study and consider roles in the military. The process for me has taken about a year each time. If I have to add, the first year of A-levels is probably the easiest year out of all of school. You have study periods, and homework is easy. So plenty to look forwards to. If I were to estimate, by the time you sit CBAT, you will be 1/3 the way through your first year of A-levels. Including summer time? thats loads of time to practice.

For my final note I should say you don't have much to worry about. It can seem daunting but you shouldn't let that define you. For other roles I would recommend the Royal Marine Commandos if you don't get made fun of joining the RAF reg and doing 5 miler of death. 🙂

Good luck on your journey and if you want when I finish CBAT next week I can let you know the details and help you out.

Quick Reply

Latest