The Student Room Group

give me some opinions of what should I apply for university

I am a student (18) who is studying a-level physics mathematics and photography. I am now in year 13, and I am applying the application to universities that's the deadline the school gives me is a month later. but I am not sure what to apply for.
My dream is to become a pilot, I have search in ucas and there is indeed commercial pilot training in course. Is with other parts, such as one of the course is called aerospace engineering with commercial pilot training. However, I have a eyesight short sight prescription - 8.5, and I height is 151cm, will considering the expensive price, I have been diagnosed with high functioning autism, (I had checked the iq 2 years ago as well, and my iq is 117 which is above average.) I have ask the professions and they said I need to do the eye surgery and it should be will be fine. (in uk, I must be at least 21 to do a Lazer eye surgery) I don't think it's really suit me, though the fees my parents can afford it, but I really really really want to be a pilot, I just don't think doing a degree is the best way to achieve to be a pilot...
I start changing my mind maybe thinking some other courses to apply, I personally loved physics and of exploring the universe, so I think astrophysics quite suit me. I have also attended to open days that have the astrophysics courses, and I think it is very interesting, and I love it.However, after scrolling through the ucas website, I found out for my grade that's I currently have, I don't have even close grade that the require need, they need like 3As but now really I am getting 3Ds, I do think I can improve to 3Cs . As in year 12, the grades that I am getting are BBC.
So, then I start to stuck, pilot is not real suit me for doing a degree, the grade is not good enough to do physics or astrophysics.
I have do more research and attend to more university open days for different courses, I found I might want to do flim production, well I don't really know why, but I love watching movies, from a year before, I start to find out I got a big interest of movies, got desire to be a part of the movie, not necessary to be an actress, but just being involved to make the movie.
I told one of my teacher, me what roles do I want to be in the movie, like what I want to do after graduates, and I said well maybe being a director or a cameraman or a script writer.
He starts analyzing and asking me, well, director is hard and need good communication with difference people, I am a person that I love talking so long and a lot with certain people that I'm comfortable with and feel extremely uncomfortable with talking to strangers and people I just meet, he also mentioned that (as I would like to earn lots of money but not lower than average salary) the ratio of the money that a director receive is like 10% directors receive all the money, and the rest are just low salary.
He then asked me about script writer, well I love writing that's a truth. But the books that I love reading is all in Chinese (I am from Hong Kong and immigrated to uk 3 years ago), and my English language is not excellent, I speak very well in English but I wrote poorly in English. He said that is a problem because I must use correct grammar tenses and proper English to write a script for films or TV shows.
For being a cameraman, he mentioned the salary is low, he asked me do I actually film anything before, a film that I have been planned or even edited it before, what's my answer is no. And after a deeper thinking, I don't think I got motivation to really make a film by my own.
So now I am not sure, and I don't know should I apply for film production courses.( I do meet the entry requirements though. Want to add a thing. I didn't do gcse English, but I do IELTS instead, my grade is 6.0 overall, 5.5 in reading, 6.0 in writing, 6.5 in listening and 6.5 in speaking)
I ask him for his opinion, what do you think I should study in university, course do you think is suitable for me.
He said 'product design'. As I am doing engineering enrichment right now and he is the teacher who teach me. I have been done 2 projects, he said both projects I come up with a very unique ideas that none of the other people have, and the results are brilliant, I made the best come out of all the others. He asked me do I enjoy the process of making the product, and I say yes.
However, although it seems so good and he is trying to convince me to do product design, I remain unsure. I don't know why, but firstly, the pilot thing just stuck in my head, and I can't get rid of it. Secondly I have never done product design before, and I am not sure if it is really the thing that I want. (this is the first time I planned something and really made it my own. In the enrichment) I am not sure what it is and what do it does, and should I do it.
I'm just basically stuck right now and I don't know what should I apply, can give me some opinions? I have no idea what to do Especially when the deadline is coming soon.
Do you have any flying experience?

Without any showreel of films that you’ve made or scripts you’ve written you will struggle to get an offer for any of the best film production degrees.

You say you’re 18 but then you also said you’re in year 12 is that right?
Reply 2
Have you considered a degree in film technology?

https://www.ntu.ac.uk/course/art-and-design/ug/bsc-hons-film-technology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending