The Student Room Group

Stuck on less than/greater than symbol ~~ maths

what does 4<5<11 mean? I think it means 4 is less than 5 and 5 is less than 11 however, in what order do we read this? And what if the numbers we replaced by letters then how do we make sure we read it correctly? is it always look at the left most letter?
Reply 1
I am embarassingly bad at maths ik
Yes; it means 4 is less than 5, which is less than 11. I'm not sure that the order you read it matters :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Theloniouss
Yes; it means 4 is less than 5, which is less than 11. I'm not sure that the order you read it matters :smile:

if i were to break this down into parts which would you suggest i do first? pretend i had to check should i first check the 4 is less than 5 and then if the 5 is less than 11? i know it sounds super simple know but im thinking about when i have to use bigger numbers
you just read the numbers from left to right
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
you just read the numbers from left to right

that answers my question and its been such a long day aha thank you
Original post by Anonymous
if i were to break this down into parts which would you suggest i do first? pretend i had to check should i first check the 4 is less than 5 and then if the 5 is less than 11? i know it sounds super simple know but im thinking about when i have to use bigger numbers

If you have to check, it doesn't matter the order you check in. Left to right makes sense (that's the order we read in, and the order for PEMDAS/BIDMAS), but it doesn't matter for inequalities.

Quick Reply

Latest