The Student Room Group

Notifications read/unread

Problem Summary
Notifications read/unread

Problem Details
No colour difference between read/unread notifications. Using chrome on Win 11 laptop.

Device
Desktop

Browser
Chrome

Link
n/a

Additional Information
Hey @normaw,

Thanks for raising this - I'll flag it to the rest of our development team so we can prioritise it against other issues on the site and work to get a fix out as soon as possible. I’ll let you know once that happens! :awesome:

In the meantime, please do let us know if you notice anything else or, if you have any more details to share.
I am now seeing a bold/not bold difference in the notifications (but it is very subtle). This difference wasn't there when I reported it as I scrolled all through my notifications (several times) and couldn't see any difference between read/unread.
Original post by normaw
I am now seeing a bold/not bold difference in the notifications (but it is very subtle). This difference wasn't there when I reported it as I scrolled all through my notifications (several times) and couldn't see any difference between read/unread.

Ah fab, glad you're seeing that now! I'll make a note of the subtlety in the differences still though :smile:
The previous design had a tinted background for unread notifications, which has now gone. The bulk of active users (not even regular users, just any active user from 2023) will be used to this. Something as simple as a lighter or darker version of TSR violet would work here. E.g.:

Or
@Musical Cats tagging you in this issue thread for the notifications colour contrast. We'll post updates on this in here 🙂
@DataVenia @Admit-One @PQ also tagging you as you raised the notifications colour contrast as an issue. I'll post an update on this here as soon as I have one 🙂
(edited 3 months ago)
@04MR17 @normaw @DataVenia @Admit-One @PQ @Musical Cats we've released some changes to the read/unread notification display, could you let me know if that's clearer for you now, please? :smile:
Original post by RainbowLapras
@04MR17 @normaw @DataVenia @Admit-One @PQ @Musical Cats we've released some changes to the read/unread notification display, could you let me know if that's clearer for you now, please? :smile:

Definitely clearer, with faded icons for read notifications and greater boldedness on the unread.

Am I right in thinking there was no change to the background colour?

Bring colourblind I don't trust myself to make that assumption
Original post by 04MR17

Definitely clearer, with faded icons for read notifications and greater boldedness on the unread.

Correct, the background colour is the same on both!
It's still not super obvious which are read/unread tbh.

Chrome on desktop:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 131324.jpg
Original post by Admit-One
It's still not super obvious which are read/unread tbh.

Chrome on desktop:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 131324.jpg

React pages should also have an icon for new notifications if you're able to check if it's any clearer there, please?
Original post by 04MR17

Correct, the background colour is the same on both!

So I'd say it's now clearer to me whether a notification is unread or read. However, it still isn't easy to discern where my unread notifications end and my read notifications start. That used to be plainly clear through the background colour being tinted. Watching for where the font changes style is less obvious and requires far more concentration. That's something I can manage but I could understand if others still had a problem.
Original post by 04MR17
So I'd say it's now clearer to me whether a notification is unread or read. However, it still isn't easy to discern where my unread notifications end and my read notifications start. That used to be plainly clear through the background colour being tinted. Watching for where the font changes style is less obvious and requires far more concentration. That's something I can manage but I could understand if others still had a problem.

Is it clearer on React pages? There should be an icon displaying next to unread notifications there, which I'd expect to make it easier to discern :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Is it clearer on React pages? There should be an icon displaying next to unread notifications there, which I'd expect to make it easier to discern :smile:

The differentiation is clearer in React than ST2.

Yes, all of the above description was regarding react pages :yep:
React pages should also have an icon for new notifications if you're able to check if it's any clearer there, please?

The orange 'pip' does make it quite a bit clearer in React.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 160736.jpg

Edit: This is Chrome on desktop.

Similar to 04MR17, I'd still prefer there to be a visible difference in background colour if possible.
(edited 2 months ago)

Yup. It's clearer now, due to the little orange dot. Thank you. (Only tested on mobile; will test on desktop later.)
Hey @normaw,

Thanks for raising this - I'll flag it to the rest of our development team so we can prioritise it against other issues on the site and work to get a fix out as soon as possible. I’ll let you know once that happens! :awesome:

In the meantime, please do let us know if you notice anything else or, if you have any more details to share.

This issue has popped up for me again but only when I go to my watched threads list.
Original post by Musical Cats
This issue has popped up for me again but only when I go to my watched threads list.

Hey! Is this on mobile or desktop? The threads there should have symbols to indicate if they're read or not - an explanation for each can be found here. Are you seeing those symbols on the page, and could you please share a screenshot if not? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending