The Student Room Group

Economics or Economics and Politics?

So I am not sure whether to study Economics or Economics and Politics. I was thinking of studying Eco and Pol cause there may be less math involved which i prefer and i needed three B's which are my predicted grades wheras Economics has more Math and I need an ABB which I may not get thus may then need to got through clearing. Which of these two would be better to study in the long run, does Eco and Pol limit you more than just studying Eco?
Any feedback on courses would be much appreviated.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Disclaimer: MSc Economics graduate (econ/politics student first year, then made a switch to pure Econ half way)

Ans: doesn't matter in the long run, because I believe you can take some politics class if you interested. But if I were to choose again I would do Econ/Politics because you always have the flexibility to shift the weights between the two in the latter stage.

One thing though if you are VERY SURE you going to go for PhD Economics, then I would strongly suggest Economics (with Mathematics or even joint with Mathematics). Otherwise if you don't want to work towards a professor at a top university, don't bother but I think Eco and Pol give you the flexibility. I enjoyed my first year very much and have never regretted this choice (except maths was too easy for me but you can always compensate if you work hard enough!)
Original post by -_-
Disclaimer: MSc Economics graduate (econ/politics student first year, then made a switch to pure Econ half way)

Ans: doesn't matter in the long run, because I believe you can take some politics class if you interested. But if I were to choose again I would do Econ/Politics because you always have the flexibility to shift the weights between the two in the latter stage.

One thing though if you are VERY SURE you going to go for PhD Economics, then I would strongly suggest Economics (with Mathematics or even joint with Mathematics). Otherwise if you don't want to work towards a professor at a top university, don't bother but I think Eco and Pol give you the flexibility. I enjoyed my first year very much and have never regretted this choice (except maths was too easy for me but you can always compensate if you work hard enough!)

Well i've chosen to study Eco and Pol due to the fact that I didn't do A level maths and so I felt it may contain less Math than just Economics. What do you suggest I do during the summer to maybe catchup. Any math topics i should study?
Any books I should read?
Original post by SimplyComplex18
So I am not sure whether to study Economics or Economics and Politics. I was thinking of studying Eco and Pol cause there may be less math involved which i prefer and i needed three B's which are my predicted grades wheras Economics has more Math and I need an ABB which I may not get thus may then need to got through clearing. Which of these two would be better to study in the long run, does Eco and Pol limit you more than just studying Eco?
Any feedback on courses would be much appreviated.

Hi,

I'm a final year BA Economics & Politics student at Lancaster University I hope I can help you. I found in my degree that by doing both courses I was able to gain a greater variety of skills from my time at undergraduate. This being analytical and mathematical skills from the Economics and more research and creative based skills from the Politics. Although doing pure Economics you would gain a greater understanding of wider Economic concepts, by doing the joint honours you could gain a wider skills set and a greater international implication of economic and political decisions. I also found that I was able to apply my understanding of one course to the other, for example in Economics essays I was able to add a consideration for the political implications of economic issues, e.g recessions. I feel this helped me write a better quality piece of work.

If you have anymore questions feel free to get in touch!
Finn (3rd year BA Economics & Politics student)
Original post by SimplyComplex18
Well i've chosen to study Eco and Pol due to the fact that I didn't do A level maths and so I felt it may contain less Math than just Economics. What do you suggest I do during the summer to maybe catchup. Any math topics i should study?
Any books I should read?

I would highly suggest that you level up your Maths, given courses for both Economics and Economics and Politics may require it at universities. However, you are correct in the sense there tends to be less Maths modules given there are more politics in the joint-degree. This page gives some recommendations as to what books to use to learn more about the Maths in Economics etc. https://wearequrious.com/admissions/how-much-maths-in-economics-at-university/
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,

I'm a final year BA Economics & Politics student at Lancaster University I hope I can help you. I found in my degree that by doing both courses I was able to gain a greater variety of skills from my time at undergraduate. This being analytical and mathematical skills from the Economics and more research and creative based skills from the Politics. Although doing pure Economics you would gain a greater understanding of wider Economic concepts, by doing the joint honours you could gain a wider skills set and a greater international implication of economic and political decisions. I also found that I was able to apply my understanding of one course to the other, for example in Economics essays I was able to add a consideration for the political implications of economic issues, e.g recessions. I feel this helped me write a better quality piece of work.

If you have anymore questions feel free to get in touch!
Finn (3rd year BA Economics & Politics student)

Hi,

As someone who has done Economics & Politics, do you think you're at a disadvantage when it comes to getting a job that you and someone with pure Economics has applied to, I am thinking of doing Economics & Politics rather than pure Economics as I did not take A-Level Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending