The Student Room Group

Becoming an Airline Pilot

I really want to become an airline pilot, but however due to the COVID pandemic & cancellation of GCSE's & A - Levels, it has made it more harder for me to become one as the grades I have received don't reflect the hard work I've put in (I still passed but just not the grades I want). However, currently I am doing A - Levels, but it's not in the subjects recommended to become an airline pilot. There is also the factor that training is very expensive & I am prepared to make any sacrifices I have to make if it makes me be a pilot. How can I afford training if I'm poor. I find it heartbraking that I can't be an airline pilot because of the COVID pandemic.
Reply 1
Original post by vv101
I really want to become an airline pilot, but however due to the COVID pandemic & cancellation of GCSE's & A - Levels, it has made it more harder for me to become one as the grades I have received don't reflect the hard work I've put in (I still passed but just not the grades I want). However, currently I am doing A - Levels, but it's not in the subjects recommended to become an airline pilot. There is also the factor that training is very expensive & I am prepared to make any sacrifices I have to make if it makes me be a pilot. How can I afford training if I'm poor. I find it heartbraking that I can't be an airline pilot because of the COVID pandemic.

There are no required grades and a levels for an airline pilot, it's basically all about the money to get yourself into a training scheme for your ATPL.
Go for it. This is purely a skill oriented job. Here is a list of skills needed to be a pilot commercially that is-

Patience
Teamwork
Common sense
Resourcefulness
Time keeping
Empathy to a limited extent
Knowledge of aircraft parts etc
First aid skills in case of emergencies onboard a plane
Honesty
Report writing
Manual dexterity
Positive attitude
Reply 3
Original post by tinygirl96
Go for it. This is purely a skill oriented job. Here is a list of skills needed to be a pilot commercially that is-

Patience
Teamwork
Common sense
Resourcefulness
Time keeping
Empathy to a limited extent
Knowledge of aircraft parts etc
First aid skills in case of emergencies onboard a plane
Honesty
Report writing
Manual dexterity
Positive attitude

Thank you. But afford flight school is a challenge as a lack of funds will be a problem
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
There are no required grades and a levels for an airline pilot, it's basically all about the money to get yourself into a training scheme for your ATPL.

The lack of funds will be a problem as I don't know how to afford it.
Reply 5
Original post by vv101
The lack of funds will be a problem as I don't know how to afford it.

Google bonded flight training.
Original post by vv101

I used to want to become and airline pilot too. I heard that some airlines (I think British Airways) do training for free but they take it out of your wages for the next few years. That may be something to look into. Although this was all before the pandemic and I'm not sure if the situation has changed because lots of pilots are out of jobs and the airline companies will probably be reemploying them first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending