The Student Room Group

what are some of the most inspiring aviation accident stories?

which particular accident, and why do you find it inspiring/ fascinating?
Aviation accidents are inspiring?
Reply 2
Original post by SagaciousSag
Aviation accidents are inspiring?

you can always find an inspiring element from even the most tragic of accidents?
Original post by tamilGuy.
you can always find an inspiring element from even the most tragic of accidents?

I don't know. Mass death doesn't really inspire me. Perhaps it's fascinating in terms of curing curiosity when you hear of something, but I wouldn't say any accident is inspiring.
Reply 4
I read about an air accident in a book a while back, I think it was by Matthew Syed (possibly titled 'Bounce' I can't remember). Basically an Asian airline was having higher rates of accidents than other airlines, turned it out was not to do with the pilots training, plane maintenance or anything like that but rather a cultural barrier. The co-pilots wouldn't question the pilots authority even if they believed they were making a mistake because it was seen as disrespectful so there were instances that fatal accidents could have easily been avoided if the co-pilot had just spoken up.
Investigations were concluded and changes were made so that this kind of incident wouldn't happen again.
Reply 5
There are some aircraft accidents where it has been amazing that there were any survivors. However, does 4 alive out of the 524 onboard JAL Flight 123 make it inspiring when the crash happened in the first place and delayed rescue efforts meant porentially more died that could have been saved? How many people have died unnecessarily because of controllable and avoidable factors such as pilot error, poor design and maintenance, bad communication?

If you want genuinely inspirational, it's something like Chelsey Sullenberger and the Hudson River landing.
Reply 6
https://simpleflying.com/the-miracle-on-the-hudson/

The Hudson crash is inpirational or what ever becauce no one got hurt or died. The pilots managed their situation and landed well on water instead of biting it. Many other similar crashes saw everyone die.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
If you want genuinely inspirational, it's something like Chelsey Sullenberger and the Hudson River landing.

Exactly, this was my primary focus!
But I also do hold the view that even in the most heartbreaking incidents, there are strands that could be seen as remarkable, and hence 'inspiring'.

Quick Reply

Latest