The Student Room Group

Mature student Chem grade

Hi all,

With A levels coming to a close and my final exam coming up in a couple of days, I am confident that will have achieved a C grade in AQA chem and maybe even a B depending on how this exam on Friday goes.

A little bit about me, I am 24 and a training commercial airline pilot and wanted to challenge myself on the side with an A level in Chem. I have been doing this since October last year part time alongside full time work.

I have looked at the statistics for A level Chem grades and have noticed that about 75% of students obtain at least a C in it, I thought I was doing fairly okay, maybe top 50%. But have put myself on a bit of a downer after looking at the statistics.

Is my (self) predicted grade of a C really something to celebrate on my CV when I go to future airline employers?

Yes, I am hunting for some honest reassurance. Overall I am certainly proud of what I have achieved in this short time and fingers crossed all goes well for myself and others!
Original post by BigShack
Hi all,

With A levels coming to a close and my final exam coming up in a couple of days, I am confident that will have achieved a C grade in AQA chem and maybe even a B depending on how this exam on Friday goes.

A little bit about me, I am 24 and a training commercial airline pilot and wanted to challenge myself on the side with an A level in Chem. I have been doing this since October last year part time alongside full time work.

I have looked at the statistics for A level Chem grades and have noticed that about 75% of students obtain at least a C in it, I thought I was doing fairly okay, maybe top 50%. But have put myself on a bit of a downer after looking at the statistics.

Is my (self) predicted grade of a C really something to celebrate on my CV when I go to future airline employers?

Yes, I am hunting for some honest reassurance. Overall I am certainly proud of what I have achieved in this short time and fingers crossed all goes well for myself and others!

Chemistry isn’t an easy A level and actually getting a C in it is still a commendable achievement- especially with additional work on the side and given that you had to teach yourself.

Also what year’s statistics were those? If they were from 2020, 2021 or 2022, then they are meaningless as those years had grade protections due to the pandemic and so the 2019 statistics should be the ones you refer to.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
Chemistry isn’t an easy A level and actually getting a C in it is still a commendable achievement- especially with additional work on the side and given that you had to teach yourself.

Also what year’s statistics were those? If they were from 2020, 2021 or 2022, then they are meaningless as those years had grade protections due to the pandemic and so the 2019 statistics should be the ones you refer to.

I’m referring to the ofqual data/analytics, it’s available to view on the gov site and has extensive data going all the way back to 2008 (link below). Interestingly, the 2019 rate was noticeably lower than in previous years (about 71% attained A*-C.)

https://analytics.ofqual.gov.uk/apps/Alevel/Outcomes/

Quick Reply

Latest