The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham - Grey College

Hello!

I've applied to Grey College at Durham University this year and am fairly confident I will make this my Firm offer, but since we've not been able to go to open days I'm really stressing and could do with some reassurance!

Would a few people mind giving me their opinions on Grey - what they like/dislike, what makes it different, how easy is it to get ensuite rooms, how big are the rooms? I'd be so grateful for any information anyone could give me because I'm a little worried because I have no idea what to expect :smile:

Also, how is accommodation allocated? I think I've seen somewhere that there are three different blocks, each at a different price - are you given a say in this i.e. can you say which you'd prefer? And could anyone point me towards photos/more info for each of these.

Thank you SO much in advance, I really appreciate it x
Hi, I am currently at Grey, and it has been really good. Grey is split into 4 blocks and each block has different accommodation:
Oswald 3/4 bed shared bathroom shorter let
Holgate single bed ensuite shorter let
Elvet and Hollingside single (i believe) shared bathroom standard let
The way the allocation works is once all results are in the college will email and you rank your preferences it's by let and bathroom type. with shorter let being you have to move out over easter but you have storage under the bed to make it easier. My room is a decent size (Oswald), and if you want, I can send photos over dm on here. the wardrobes, sink if you have shared bathroom and desks are the same in all blocks with different bed sizes. The wifi is really good. The food is ok (I'm veggie so better if you're a meat-eater as more options). Oswald is cold its know for that but Holgate which is the ensuite block is much warmer. In my opinion, Oswald is the best it has a big kitchen (no oven or hob unlike in hollingside) whereas Holgate's is much smaller one minifridge per corridor which can be a lot of people. If you end up in a shared bathroom don't worry I've never seen anyone else use the showers or toilets at the same time and having a sink in your room helps a lot. If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Lucyyy279
Hi, I am currently at Grey, and it has been really good. Grey is split into 4 blocks and each block has different accommodation:
Oswald 3/4 bed shared bathroom shorter let
Holgate single bed ensuite shorter let
Elvet and Hollingside single (i believe) shared bathroom standard let
The way the allocation works is once all results are in the college will email and you rank your preferences it's by let and bathroom type. with shorter let being you have to move out over easter but you have storage under the bed to make it easier. My room is a decent size (Oswald), and if you want, I can send photos over dm on here. the wardrobes, sink if you have shared bathroom and desks are the same in all blocks with different bed sizes. The wifi is really good. The food is ok (I'm veggie so better if you're a meat-eater as more options). Oswald is cold its know for that but Holgate which is the ensuite block is much warmer. In my opinion, Oswald is the best it has a big kitchen (no oven or hob unlike in hollingside) whereas Holgate's is much smaller one minifridge per corridor which can be a lot of people. If you end up in a shared bathroom don't worry I've never seen anyone else use the showers or toilets at the same time and having a sink in your room helps a lot. If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you so much, this is so helpful. Yes, I'd love to see some pictures if that's ok with you! I know it's a catered college but are there places where you could cook a meal on a one-off occasion if you'd like to, i.e. a kitchen shared by a few of the corridors? Thank you again, really appreciate your help :smile: x
Original post by _dancer01_
Thank you so much, this is so helpful. Yes, I'd love to see some pictures if that's ok with you! I know it's a catered college but are there places where you could cook a meal on a one-off occasion if you'd like to, i.e. a kitchen shared by a few of the corridors? Thank you again, really appreciate your help :smile: x

Yeah, so I can take of my corridor and room. each block has a different kitchen style so I can show you mine and tell you some of the differences. I know neither Holgate nor Oswald has an oven/hob and Oswald get a lot of fridge space compared to the others. In the kitchens, you get given a toaster, kettle and microwave so fine for snacks and late-night toast.
Original post by Lucyyy279
Yeah, so I can take of my corridor and room. each block has a different kitchen style so I can show you mine and tell you some of the differences. I know neither Holgate nor Oswald has an oven/hob and Oswald get a lot of fridge space compared to the others. In the kitchens, you get given a toaster, kettle and microwave so fine for snacks and late-night toast.

Perfect that would be great, thanks!!
It doesn't sound as though it's changed much in terms of accommodation since I was there in the 80s!

Quick Reply

Latest