The Student Room Group

study tips for science

i'm in year 9 and i want to do the triple science for GCSE. my grades for science weren't great, especially for biology. even though i studied and revised at home for hours, i didn't achieve the grade that i wanted. i need some advice for studying so i can do better on my next exam. help would be much appreciated!
CGP textbooks are really good
For science and pretty much all other subjects
Revision guides are really helpful - they contains key points you need to know and usually have practice questions + answers to test yourself.(also would recommend buying used ones as they're cheaper and have notes from other people which could benefit you) Some revision guides are :
The Collins AQA GCSE 9-1 Bio, Chem and Physics Revision Guides.
The CGP AQA GCSE 9-1 Bio, Chem and Physics Revision Guides.
If you don't want to spend money buying them, then here are some links to channels which help with science :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbOeHaAUXw9Il7sBVG3_bw - goes over each topic following AQA Spec - each video can be split onto flashcards which you can test yourself with.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBgvmal8AR4QIK2e0EfJwaA - goes over the whole of bio, chem and physics p1&2 in 1 hour videos
Hope it helps! Good luck!!
Like the above, CGP books are amazing.
First make sure you properly understand everything.
Then use flashcards to constantly test your knowledge - maybe use an app like Anki or quizlet.
Then do practice questions closer to your exam
Really depends person to person honestly, personally I - and I know this isn't gonna help - crammed last minute using CGP revision guides and managed to get a 7 in Chemistry and Biology and 8 in Physics. I'd say what matters most is paying attention in your lessons, covering what you really don't understand using revision guides and actually asking your teachers and understanding how your answers are meant to be set out. God knows how long it took me to get it through my head to write out the 6 markers in bullet points rather than one big paragraph, true lifesaver.

Quick Reply

Latest