The Student Room Group

BOOSTING GRADES for GCSEs

Hi
can anyone help me post my grades for all subjects. I got grade 4/5 in my year 10 mocks, I want to boost it to grade 6/7 for all subjects in one month as I will be starting mocks in year 11 in about less than one month time.

Subjects that I study are:
Maths (Edexcel)
English (AQA)
science (AQA)
geography (Edxecel A)
computer science (Edexcel)
Health and social care (Btec)

If anyone will provide me best resources or websites or YouTube videos or tips to study, I will follow it and let you know if that boosted my grade after getting results for mocks.
Also provide me tips for how long should I spend on each subject and on each topic to revise after school. How many subjects should I study in one day after school?

It would be really helpful!
Original post by Harman Kaur
Hi
can anyone help me post my grades for all subjects. I got grade 4/5 in my year 10 mocks, I want to boost it to grade 6/7 for all subjects in one month as I will be starting mocks in year 11 in about less than one month time.

Subjects that I study are:
Maths (Edexcel)
English (AQA)
science (AQA)
geography (Edxecel A)
computer science (Edexcel)
Health and social care (Btec)

If anyone will provide me best resources or websites or YouTube videos or tips to study, I will follow it and let you know if that boosted my grade after getting results for mocks.
Also provide me tips for how long should I spend on each subject and on each topic to revise after school. How many subjects should I study in one day after school?

It would be really helpful!

Hi, here are my tips for some of the subjects you do:

Science:
- Use freesciencelessons and cognito yt channels to help you understand the content
- Make super concise notes (maximum an A4 page) for each topic (or just for topics that you don't understand well), this is a resource for you to refer back to when you're confused - use freesciencelessons and your exam board specification to help you do this
- Finally, practice! Use physics and maths tutor (pmt) and mme revise for free practice questions with mark scheme
- Make sure to revise practicals and know your equations, as these are common questions that pop up in an exam
- If you're looking for a good revision guide, try cgp or oxford revise

English:
- For literature, the main things I recommend talking about are themes (main ideas in the text), context (what was happening during the time the text was written), language techniques (like similes + juxtaposition), structure (the layout of the text) and effects on the reader.
- For language, try to structure your responses so you cover what is being asked - so put a point across along with the quote to back it up, then give an explanation or a key inference (preferably discussing a language/structure technique) and follow it up with a one-word focus (zoom in on one word in the quote and discuss the significance of that). Afterwars, you can develop by discussing writer's intention and finally link it back to the question
- In general, try to maintain a clear and cohesive essay, as this makes it easier for the examiner/teacher to understand
- I recommend Mr bruff, mr salles teaches english, first rate tutors and glow up your grades (they are all youtube channels)

Maths:
- Understanding and practice are the key things
- I will always recommend past papers and if you get a question wrong, make sure you understand exactly where you went wrong and copy the mark scheme down
- It might help making a checklist of all the topics you need to study and which ones you need to prioritise
- I recommend gcse maths tutor, maths genie and mme revise for practice and understanding content

Definitely make a timetable and try not to overfill it, especially as taking breaks and preventing burn out is important. If you're struggling to find a starting point, perhaps use the next few days to plan your revision and get homework out of the way and start revising when half term holidays start so you are more motivated.
In terms of how many subjects per day, perhaps 2-3 depending on how much time you have - it really helps to mix it up by doing different subjects each day, that way you are more motivated to carry on.

I hope I helped and good luck for mocks!
Reply 2
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hi, here are my tips for some of the subjects you do:

Science:
- Use freesciencelessons and cognito yt channels to help you understand the content
- Make super concise notes (maximum an A4 page) for each topic (or just for topics that you don't understand well), this is a resource for you to refer back to when you're confused - use freesciencelessons and your exam board specification to help you do this
- Finally, practice! Use physics and maths tutor (pmt) and mme revise for free practice questions with mark scheme
- Make sure to revise practicals and know your equations, as these are common questions that pop up in an exam
- If you're looking for a good revision guide, try cgp or oxford revise

English:
- For literature, the main things I recommend talking about are themes (main ideas in the text), context (what was happening during the time the text was written), language techniques (like similes + juxtaposition), structure (the layout of the text) and effects on the reader.
- For language, try to structure your responses so you cover what is being asked - so put a point across along with the quote to back it up, then give an explanation or a key inference (preferably discussing a language/structure technique) and follow it up with a one-word focus (zoom in on one word in the quote and discuss the significance of that). Afterwars, you can develop by discussing writer's intention and finally link it back to the question
- In general, try to maintain a clear and cohesive essay, as this makes it easier for the examiner/teacher to understand
- I recommend Mr bruff, mr salles teaches english, first rate tutors and glow up your grades (they are all youtube channels)

Maths:
- Understanding and practice are the key things
- I will always recommend past papers and if you get a question wrong, make sure you understand exactly where you went wrong and copy the mark scheme down
- It might help making a checklist of all the topics you need to study and which ones you need to prioritise
- I recommend gcse maths tutor, maths genie and mme revise for practice and understanding content

Definitely make a timetable and try not to overfill it, especially as taking breaks and preventing burn out is important. If you're struggling to find a starting point, perhaps use the next few days to plan your revision and get homework out of the way and start revising when half term holidays start so you are more motivated.
In terms of how many subjects per day, perhaps 2-3 depending on how much time you have - it really helps to mix it up by doing different subjects each day, that way you are more motivated to carry on.

I hope I helped and good luck for mocks!

thank you so much this was really really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest