kfc7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you have achieved the minimum a level pred requirements for med and you do not exceed them, will you be disadvantaged as opposed to someone who has higher preds than you? (For internationals)
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi)
If you have achieved the minimum a level pred requirements for med and you do not exceed them, will you be disadvantaged as opposed to someone who has higher preds than you? (For internationals)
At most med schools - no it wouldn't.
kfc7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
At most med schools - no it wouldn't.
Thank you, do you know the ones where one would be disadvantaged?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you, do you know the ones where one would be disadvantaged?
Exeter is one of them. Where are you thinking of applying?

Note that some med schools have different entry requirements for local vs international students.
kfc7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Exeter is one of them. Where are you thinking of applying?

Note that some med schools have different entry requirements for local vs international students.
It's still too early for me but I have a couple in mind some of which are Newcastle, St Andrews, Glasgow, UEA and a few others.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It's still too early for me but I have a couple in mind some of which are Newcastle, St Andrews, Glasgow, UEA and a few others.
Once you have your UCAT score, post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038 with all your stats (incl. predicted grades) and our experts will advise you where to apply for your best chances.
kfc7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Once you have your UCAT score, post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038 with all your stats (incl. predicted grades) and our experts will advise you where to apply for your best chances.
Will do thanks for your help
Bo Marley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi everyone,I am a Canadian student that is going into my 4th year of uni in Canada but will not be having a degree by the end of year due to a program change last year. I was interested in applying to the A100 course at oxford or cambridge, UCL, and ICL and I was wondering whether they would look at my university grades when considering me for admission? I have a lot of extracurricular and work experience too so I feel like I would have a good shot if they looked at university grades. I tried emailing a few of the schools but no one has gotten back to me.Thanks!!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bo Marley)
Hi everyone,I am a Canadian student that is going into my 4th year of uni in Canada but will not be having a degree by the end of year due to a program change last year. I was interested in applying to the A100 course at oxford or cambridge, UCL, and ICL and I was wondering whether they would look at my university grades when considering me for admission? I have a lot of extracurricular and work experience too so I feel like I would have a good shot if they looked at university grades. I tried emailing a few of the schools but no one has gotten back to me.Thanks!!
If you don't have your university grades, what qualifications will you be offering?

Have you done A-Levels (or equivalent)?
Bo Marley
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you don't have your university grades, what qualifications will you be offering?

Have you done A-Levels (or equivalent)?
I do have university grades from the past three years (equal to approximately a 3.91/4 on our scale) but I just won't have a bachelor's degree by the time of admission/matriculation. I also have my regular high school grades and diploma of course, with around a 94% average. Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't very clear!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bo Marley)
I do have university grades from the past three years (equal to approximately a 3.91/4 on our scale) but I just won't have a bachelor's degree by the time of admission/matriculation. I also have my regular high school grades and diploma of course, with around a 94% average. Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't very clear!
Don't worry about that.

You will need to have graduated before the course start date for it to be valid - individual yearly performance wouldn't count I'm afraid. It's usually the overall classification (1st class, 2:1, 2:2 etc.) that the university would want.

I think unless you are apply to start after you have got your degree, you'd have to use your high school grades. It sounds like a high score, 94% - so check with the universities for their requirement.

:goodluck:
Bo Marley
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don't worry about that.

You will need to have graduated before the course start date for it to be valid - individual yearly performance wouldn't count I'm afraid. It's usually the overall classification (1st class, 2:1, 2:2 etc.) that the university would want.

I think unless you are apply to start after you have got your degree, you'd have to use your high school grades. It sounds like a high score, 94% - so check with the universities for their requirement.

:goodluck:
Good to know, thank you!
username5766028
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You guys know medical schools where international students can apply directly to university without UCAS?
Except Buckingham
treasuremaker
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The university of Brighton does accept directly but I don't think there are many at all. Most need UCAS as that is the main platform for all students to get fair acceptance and its used by everyone.
username5766028
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
UCLan have a portal where international students can directly apply and also brunel . Just wondering if there’s more. Thank you
username5766028
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Do international students qualify for contexual offers in UK med schools? The postal code is not for us and the schools mentioned , so no right?
ashalalabaz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah contexual offers are mainly for home applicants and not internationals
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 123Hf)
You guys know medical schools where international students can apply directly to university without UCAS?
Except Buckingham
As you said, it's only UCLan, Brunel, Buckingham and maybe Northumbria (the latter is designed for international students wanting to practise in the US). Every other med school will expect an application via UCAS.

(Original post by 123Hf)
Do international students qualify for contexual offers in UK med schools? The postal code is not for us and the schools mentioned , so no right?
No, widening participation is made for home students only - to enable more local students who are disadvantaged to do medicine. It wouldn't be fair to make this available to international students.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
hello. I am thinking of applying To Imperial med school
i am taking bio maths further maths and chemistry a levels (2 a stars hopefully and 2 a's )
i also do the cypriot apolytirion system
and im taking the bmat in november

Is applying to imperial worth a shot ? or as an international student i dont stand a chance in getting in?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hello. I am thinking of applying To Imperial med school
i am taking bio maths further maths and chemistry a levels (2 a stars hopefully and 2 a's )
i also do the cypriot apolytirion system
and im taking the bmat in november

Is applying to imperial worth a shot ? or as an international student i dont stand a chance in getting in?
Depends on your BMAT but international med admissions to UK universities is certainly much much more competitive than local students.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.17%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.13%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.65%
I'm finding things difficult (129)
34.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.56%

Watched Threads