The Student Room Group

A100 International Students 2022 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

hello. I am thinking of applying To Imperial med school
i am taking bio maths further maths and chemistry a levels (2 a stars hopefully and 2 a's )
i also do the cypriot apolytirion system
and im taking the bmat in november

Is applying to imperial worth a shot ? or as an international student i dont stand a chance in getting in?
Ahhh - i know. Thank you. If you have any advice i'd be happy to hear :smile:
tysm !!
Original post by Anonymous
hello. I am thinking of applying To Imperial med school
i am taking bio maths further maths and chemistry a levels (2 a stars hopefully and 2 a's )
i also do the cypriot apolytirion system
and im taking the bmat in november

Is applying to imperial worth a shot ? or as an international student i dont stand a chance in getting in?

Hi there! Just wanted to add that Imperial has accepted international students in the past! According to one of the FOI's I found, they made 46/683 offers for the 2017 cycle, 26/707 offers for the 2018 cycle, and 70/834 offers in the 2019 cycle. However, they do operate on a BMAT cutoff, and for this year I've heard that it was somewhere in the 13's. If you'd like to know the cutoff, you can wait a couple months before pinging me here or send a TSR message, I think I have a FOI request in.

With the entry requirements, as you're taking international A levels, you fulfil the minimum requirements of A*AA (the common offer), and so you're set on that regard! Just ace the BMAT and you will have a good chance for an interview.
Hi,
I am an international students. With score of 38, I wonder about my chances of getting into medical schools like Glasgow, Sheffield, Birmingham ?
How should I prioritize UCAS ?
Sitting for UCAT soon..
Feeling stressed ! Hope to get some advice.
With 38 points, 6,6,6 HL, I am not sure of my chances of successful application (assuming decent UCAT and PS). I am an international student, would really appreciate advice on choice of medical schools. Anyone knows of pple with these grades in schools like Sheffield, Bristol, Dundee, Birmingham?
Original post by KMing123
With 38 points, 6,6,6 HL, I am not sure of my chances of successful application (assuming decent UCAT and PS). I am an international student, would really appreciate advice on choice of medical schools. Anyone knows of pple with these grades in schools like Sheffield, Bristol, Dundee, Birmingham?

Well, a decent UCAT is harder than you might think! Most schools do not look at PS these days.
Have you had a look at the school's websites? For example Sheffield quite clearly states their IB entry requirements are 36, 6 in three Higher Level subjects to include Chemistry OR Biology and another science subject. No less than 4 in all Standard Level subjects (https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2021/medicine-mbchb#entryreqs). The issue is if you don't have GCSEs - if that is the case I suggest emailing the schools to see how you will be considered for GCSE requirements or scorring. Dundee normally scores A levels so you may also want to ask how they might score IB grades.
Original post by KMing123

It's worth a try to check their entry websites. I have briefly scoured through the requirements, and the minimum requirements for all those three schools are fulfilled through your IB score. However, you will need to ensure that your HL courses include Biology and Chemistry, as Birmingham requires these two subjects.

Regarding the rest, it would depend greatly on your UCAT scores. Sheffield, Bristol, and Birmingham make use of a "cutoff score", meaning that as long as you pass the minimum academic entry requirements, then they look at your UCAT score. If you are above the UCAT cutoff score, then you are granted an interview. I don't know any information regarding Dundee.
Thanks so much for the advice!! Will write to individual Unis !
I am a South African, arrived in UK 2018 with dependant visa as my work live and work in UK.I am holding certificate wich is equivalent to A levels; have applied through UCAS for medicine degree and been accepted in few university that I chose and not been given reason why?I am devastated.
I am interested in doing medicine degree in 2021 holding South African qualification equivalent to good Al levels.Any chance to get a space.
Original post by alwandengidi
I am a South African, arrived in UK 2018 with dependant visa as my work live and work in UK.I am holding certificate wich is equivalent to A levels; have applied through UCAS for medicine degree and been accepted in few university that I chose and not been given reason why?I am devastated.

Hey, welcome to TSR :smile: Please don’t double post, it doesn’t mean you’ll get answered quicker. I’ve moved your posts into the International thread.

It’s really hard to say why you got rejected and if you have a chance without more into. Did you sit the UCAT and BMAT, and do you have GCSEs or equivalent grades? Did you check with universities that your qualifications would be acceptable?
Hi guys. this may be a bit of a random question, but i am not sure where else i can post this. Is it possible for me to be studying the first year of medicine at another university (let's call it University B) and apply to UCL or Imperial or some other uni for 2022 entry in medicine at the same time (essentially like a normal undergraduate/gap-year applicant). Note that I am not asking for a transfer, rather a complete restart at this new university (basically repeating the first year at uni B and the new uni as well). Forget about the money issues rn.
Reply 73
hello!I am international student with engineering degree looking to apply next 2022 cycle (15th OCT 2021)I emailed the universities asking about If they requires and GCSE or A-level in addition to my degree?Could you please let me know if (any university only look for the degree
Original post by A_disappointment
Hi guys. this may be a bit of a random question, but i am not sure where else i can post this. Is it possible for me to be studying the first year of medicine at another university (let's call it University B) and apply to UCL or Imperial or some other uni for 2022 entry in medicine at the same time (essentially like a normal undergraduate/gap-year applicant). Note that I am not asking for a transfer, rather a complete restart at this new university (basically repeating the first year at uni B and the new uni as well). Forget about the money issues rn.

Hello there! May I ask for the reason that you are wanting to restart at another university? I've offered some general advice below, hope you find it helpful.

Most universities, if not all, do not allow applicants to apply if they have started at another medical school. On Imperial's website, it states that "the School of Medicine does not accept students who have previously started at or are already studying at another Medical School.", (link: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-of-medicine/medicine/#entry-requirements) and on UCL's website, it states that: "No, we do not consider students who fail to complete an alternative degree programme. This also applies to students who fail to complete a medical degree at any medical school." (link: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-school/study/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/admissions-frequently-asked-questions) , and I would assume from that it means that they will not accept your application either. Most universities, if not all, will not allow for a complete restart, as you have already gained a place into medicine.

However, there is a MBPhD programme at UCL that allows external students at other medical schools who have intercalated a iBSc with upper second or first class, as well as two years at their medical school. They allow you to transfer there and graduate with a UCL MBPhD as well as a UCL MBBS. Quite obviously, they will want very research interested applicants, interviews, transcripts, etc. and also, you will be spending three years devoted entirely to research. It is also likely to be insanely competitive.

If you do have a place, have the funding, and you truly want to do medicine, many here, including me, would advise you to take the spot. There are many applicants that are wanting your spot. Additionally, if you didn't want to go to that university that you received an offer from, then it's odd that you placed the university as one of your UCAS choices. If it's due to prestige, then you should know that when allocating for FY spots, they are university blind. Also, whether you graduate from the "lowest-ranked" university and barely passed or the "highest-ranked" university with the top grades, you will still be (most likely) working for the NHS with the exact same salary as a doctor. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Best of luck! xx
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nonall
hello!I am international student with engineering degree looking to apply next 2022 cycle (15th OCT 2021)I emailed the universities asking about If they requires and GCSE or A-level in addition to my degree?Could you please let me know if (any university only look for the degree

Hello! Each university generally posts their graduate entry requirements on their website, some universities have minimums for GCSE's or A-levels, whilst some just consider your degree. Checking the course pages on the university will be helpful, as if we were to post all the requirements here would be very long! If you still have questions after that, it's best to either email the universities or ask directly here about the specific university, and hopefully someone will be able to answer!

Good luck! xx
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi! I'm an international student applying for A100 2022 entry. I did my GCSEs in 2020 (2 8s & 7 9s); although I don't have my predicted grades yet, I got 3 As at the end of year 12 (I'm doing bio, chem and history). My work experience/extracurriculars include:
week of work experience at a medical school
BSMS virtual work experience
Virtual medical student shadowing programme by the University of Dundee
Several virtual work experience seminars/talks
Online course on neuroanatomy by the University of Michigan
MUN
Running a medical club for KS3 students at my school
Debate club
Awarded gold in the intermediate biology olympiad
Sports leaders (where we helped organise & run sports events for primary students)
Recycling club (where we spread awareness about recycling & were responsible for all the recycling in school)
I've also started an instagram account about healthcare/medicine (as well as uni applications/school advice)

If anyone has any advice or tips on other activities I could do, or any suggestions for universities I should look into, I'd really appreciate it! :smile: I've been considering Liverpool. Buckingham & Nottingham (I'm doing the UCAT in August)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by avnichaturvedi
Hi! I'm an international student applying for A100 2022 entry. I did my GCSEs in 2020 (2 8s & 7 9s); although I don't have my predicted grades yet, I got 3 As at the end of year 12 (I'm doing bio, chem and history). My work experience/extracurriculars include:
MUN
Debate club
Sports leaders (where we helped organise & run sports events for primary students)
Recycling club (where we spread awareness about recycling & were responsible for all the recycling in school)
I've also started an instagram account about healthcare/medicine (as well as uni applications/school advice)

If anyone has any advice or tips on other activities I could do, or any suggestions for universities I should look into, I'd really appreciate it! :smile: I've been considering Liverpool. Buckingham & Nottingham (I'm doing the UCAT in August)

go for gcse heavy unis, such as oxford and cardiff!! ur gcses are so good congrats :smile:
Original post by avnichaturvedi
MUN
Debate club

Hello there! Congrats on your good results so far, and your extra curricular seem good. If you haven't already, look into drafting your personal statement and seeing which ones you'd like to reflect on.

Regarding universities, you would be clear for GCSE heavy universities. However, when it comes to applying to Oxford, you would have to have a stellar BMAT as well as A*AA ( With looking into universities, look into which learning style you'd prefer (PBL, Integrated, or Traditional?) and definitely the city/place you are going (city or smaller town?). I would advise you to check out which universities require A*AA or more, and which ones are good with AAA.

Best of luck!
@libero @Lovebear2951 thanks for your help! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending