The Student Room Group

Moments

Hi, can anyone explain how to do Qus2 from here?

https://quizizz.com/admin/quiz/6022a1f844d8ad001bc0b3ca/p-moments

I tried getting both CW and ACW moments and then relating it to F=ke but just didn't get an answer.
Reply 1
Around which point have you taken the moments?
Original post by nzy
Around which point have you taken the moments?

Spring P
Reply 3
Original post by Drogonmeister
Spring P

That's a good start.
Given that the sign is in equilibrium, and therefore, around P, clockwise moments = anti-clockwise moments, could you find the value of the force on spring Q (i.e. the force which provides the moment through the point where Q is attached to the sign)?
Original post by nzy
That's a good start.
Given that the sign is in equilibrium, and therefore, around P, clockwise moments = anti-clockwise moments, could you find the value of the force on spring Q (i.e. the force which provides the moment through the point where Q is attached to the sign)?

Sorry for the late reply. I think I have found the force on spring Q but not sure whether it is correct since I carried on using that value and got the wrong answer.

I did (0.65x18) - (0.15x18)-Q = 0
Q=9
e=F/k = 9/240 = 0.0375

What did I do wrong?
Reply 5
I did (0.65x18) - (0.15x18)-Q = 0
Q=9
e=F/k = 9/240 = 0.0375

Where are you getting (0.15x18) from?
Remember, you're only taking moments from around (i.e. relative to) the point where spring P attaches to the sign.
Original post by nzy
Where are you getting (0.15x18) from?
Remember, you're only taking moments from around (i.e. relative to) the point where spring P attaches to the sign.

Oh, I thought that they were the anticlockwise moments that spring Q would provide the sign with. What other moments would be around spring P?
Reply 7
Oh, I thought that they were the anticlockwise moments that spring Q would provide the sign with. What other moments would be around spring P?

It might be worthwhile checking your understanding of moments again.

If (0.15x18) is the moment caused by spring Q, about P, then what is Q where you've written
(0.65x18) - (0.15x18) - Q = 0

?

Remember that moment = force x perpendicular distance from point.
0.15m is the perpendicular distance between point Q and the sign's centre of mass. 18N is the weight of the sign.
So (0.15m x 18N) actually gives the moment, about Q, caused by the weight of the sign. But as we're taking moments about P, not Q, you don't need to care about this moment at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nzy
It might be worthwhile checking your understanding of moments again.

If (0.15x18) is the moment caused by spring Q, about P, then what is Q where you've written

?

Remember that moment = force x perpendicular distance from point.
0.15m is the perpendicular distance between point Q and the sign's centre of mass. 18N is the weight of the sign.
So (0.15m x 18N) actually gives the moment, about Q, caused by the weight of the sign. But as we're taking moments about P, not Q, you don't need to care about this moment at all.

Ahh I see how it works now.
(0.65m X 18N) -0.8Q = 0
Q = 117/8
e= Q/k = 0.061m which is the correct answer
Thank you very much for your explanations

Quick Reply

Latest