The Student Room Group

gcse aqa drama devising log

Does anyone know how to structure section 3 because I've just completed the practical exam but have no clue how to do section 3 of the devising log and i don't know where to start
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Hey there :smile: Section 3 is about analysis and evaluation where you should evaluate your performance as an individual about character intention by refering to skills you should or shouldn't have included. Below is a guide that I used for my Section 3. Good luck and hope this helps! :biggrin:

Students are expected to analyse and evaluate the ways in which they individually contributed to the devising process as a whole and to the final devised piece, exploring their strengths and the learning opportunities taken from the experience.
Students should analyse and evaluate:
how far they developed their own theatrical skills
the benefits they brought to the group and the way in which they positively shaped the performance
the overall impact they had as individuals
Students should also appraise those areas for further development in their future devising work (i.e. the aspects that did not go as well as they’d hoped).
In the context of this section:
to ‘analyse’ is to identify and investigate
to ‘evaluate’ is to assess the merit of the different approaches used and formulate judgments.

Paragraph 1
Pick a scene/ moment/ character that you think met your aims and intentions.
Explain what your precise aims and intentions were for this scene/moment / character.
Then analyse and evaluate what you did to make this so successful.
Be positive, committed, precise, and detailed.
You should be reflecting on your use of a dramatic technique and how you used your vocal and physical skills successfully in this moment.
You can link this back to your practitioner choice / style and the impact you wanted to have on the audience how you successfully created a Brechtian moment etc.

Paragraph 2
Pick a second scene / moment / character and follow the points above to analyse and evaluate why / how it was successful.
Start with something really positive about this example and analyse why it was successful. Then add in one point that you would like to develop further about this moment that you feel could have been even better. Explain why you don’t think it was wholly successful and what you would do differently.

Paragraph 3
Pick a third scene / moment / character and repeat all the steps in Paragraph one.
Specifically analyse the benefits you personally brought to this scene how it was your suggestion or direction in the devising process that led to this fantastic outcome and how the response from the audience was very positive.
Again, add in one point that you would like to develop further about this moment that you feel could have been even better. Explain why you don’t think it was wholly successful and what you would do differently.

Paragraph 4
This final paragraph should be a confident and positive evaluation of your group’s overall success.
Evaluate how you successfully created the piece you set out to you met your aims and intentions.
This should connect to your practitioner and how you successfully created a piece using their style you had the impact you wanted to on your audience.
You should reflect on specific audience responses to back up your evaluation.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest