The Student Room Group

How so i find the dy/dx of this questionnaire (math help)

What's dy / dx of 256π/r + 2πr^2

Please tell me how thx
Post the full question.
Original post by DFranklin
Post the full question.

That's the question xD
Original post by standardolo
That's the question xD

the difficulty is that this is a function of r, not x.
That's the question xD

are you sure
Reply 5
Original post by Qxi.xli
are you sure

r u sure its not dy/dr?
Original post by Qxi.xli
are you sure

A company makes solid cylinders of variable radius r cm and constant volume 128pi cm^3, It's surface area is 256π/r + 2πr^2. Find the minimum value for the surface area of the cylinder
Original post by munishab
r u sure its not dy/dr?

Original post by the bear
the difficulty is that this is a function of r, not x.

A company makes solid cylinders of variable radius r cm and constant volume 128pi cm^3, It's surface area is 256π/r + 2πr^2. Find the minimum value for the surface area of the cylinder
Original post by DFranklin
Post the full question.

Reply 9

So you want to find d/dr(256π/r + 2πr^2)? Remember that pi is a constant, and then it's just basic differentiation of r^-1 and r^2 with constant multipliers.
Original post by Interea
So you want to find d/dr(256π/r + 2πr^2)? Remember that pi is a constant, and then it's just basic differentiation of r^-1 and r^2 with constant multipliers.

Yeah i got that for 2πr^2 (4πr) but for 256π/r idk how to do that one, do i have to rearrange or something

Please tell me how thx

DFranklin
Post the exact question

That's the question xD

Later...

So, it wasn't the exact question, huh?

I have to ask: what's the mentality of making the "That's the question xD" reply? If people ask you to post the exact question, it's because they know there's something wrong or missing with what you originally posted.
Reply 12

Please tell me how thx

OK,

grammar point: you don't "find dy/dx of " anything - you either find dy/dx, if y is given as a function of x, or you find the derivative of some function with respect to some other independent variable :smile:

In this case you have a function f(r) and you want to find df/dr (sometimes written as f'(r)).

I suspect what's holding you up is that 256pi/r is the same as (256pi)r^-1 and I'm sure you know a rule for differentiating r^-1 with respect to r :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest