The Student Room Group

ENGLISH Language paper 1 question 4 The stranger child

Does anyone have any points and ideas and quotes which I can write for this question Focus this part of your answer on the second part of the source, from line 24 to the end. A student said, ‘I wasn’t at all surprised by the disappearance of the stranger childat the end of the extract. The writer has left us in no doubt that she is just part of Rosie’s imagination.’To what extent do you agree? In your response, you could:• consider the disappearance of the stranger child• evaluate how the writer presents the stranger child• support your response with references to the textExtract: A little girl was sitting back on her heels beside a clump of daisies that grew against the fence. She had her back to Rosie and was holding tight to the handle of a large wicker basket that stood on the ground beside her. Cara seemed unfazed by the girl’s presence and continued to move, engrossed, along the row of plants. Rosie bent forward to look through the clearest of the panes and peered closer. The child was small, maybe around eight or nine, although something in the tense hunch of her shoulders made her seem older. Her hair hung down her back in a matted, dusty-looking plait and she was wearing dressing-up clothes: an ankle-length dress and pinafore in washed-out greys and tans, like a home-made Cinderella* costume. Where on earth had she come from? She must be a neighbour’s child but how had she got in? The wooden fences that separated the gardens between each of the houses in the terrace were high surely too high for a child to climb. The child glanced over her shoulder, back towards the houses, a quick, furtive movement as if she were scanning the upper windows of the row, afraid of being overlooked. Rosie caught a glimpse of her face, pale and drawn with anxiety, before the girl turned back and reached forward to quickly tuck a piece of trailing white cloth into the basket. Almost unconsciously, Rosie registered that the girl was left-handed like herself, and that there was something animal-like in her movements: quick, like the darting of a mouse or the flit of a sparrow, some small dun creature that moves fast to blend into the background.A little girl was sitting back on her heels beside a clump of daisies that grew against the fence. She had her back to Rosie and was holding tight to the handle of a large wicker basket that stood on the ground beside her. Cara seemed unfazed by the girl’s presence and continued to move, engrossed, along the row of plants. Rosie bent forward to look through the clearest of the panes and peered closer. The child was small, maybe around eight or nine, although something in the tense hunch of her shoulders made her seem older. Her hair hung down her back in a matted, dusty-looking plait and she was wearing dressing-up clothes: an ankle-length dress and pinafore in washed-out greys and tans, like a home-made Cinderella* costume. Where on earth had she come from? She must be a neighbour’s child but how had she got in? The wooden fences that separated the gardens between each of the houses in the terrace were high surely too high for a child to climb. The child glanced over her shoulder, back towards the houses, a quick, furtive movement as if she were scanning the upper windows of the row, afraid of being overlooked. Rosie caught a glimpse of her face, pale and drawn with anxiety, before the girl turned back and reached forward to quickly tuck a piece of trailing white cloth into the basket. Almost unconsciously, Rosie registered that the girl was left-handed like herself, and that there was something animal-like in her movements: quick, like the darting of a mouse or the flit of a sparrow, some small dun creature that moves fast to blend into the background.
Talk about the girl’s appearance when she’s desribed as being like an old person. You could also talk about the fact she is described as being like “Cinderella” a fairytale. You can also talk about her animalistic behaviours and how inhumane they are. These all could consider the girl as not real and only part of Rosie’s imagination.
It is a hard question. A lot of the time you have to just improvise. Highlighting words and phrases and looking to see which of these quotes has a similar idea may help prove a point. Always link your ideas back to the line of argument so you don’t get off track
Reply 3
Can you send me 3 paragraphs so I can compare??
Reply 4
I’m aware you’re from Woodside, this is mr Swann
(edited 2 years ago)
i said that rosie noticing she was left handed could mean it was part of her imagination. would this count as a form of mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending